Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Starter motor not got enough umph to start  (Read 700 times)

Offline paulv1

• Bike: cbf1000 abs
  • City / Town: leicester
Starter motor not got enough umph to start
« on: 26 July, 2019, 06:03:16 PM »
My bikes been on charge for the last week whilst I've been away. When I try to start it all lights and the usual stuff seems to work but there doesn't seem to be enough umph from the starter motor to fire the engine.  Fuel ok battery charged, suggestions please as I'm not sure where to start looking. Thanks

Offline Silverdart

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000-A
  • City / Town: Kitchener ON
Re: Starter motor not got enough umph to start
« Reply #1 on: 26 July, 2019, 08:29:21 PM »
Have you tested your battery under load? Ask your local battery supplier to load-test your battery. That would be the first place to start.

It's not uncommon for batteries that are on the brink to charge up and test OK without load, but as soon as you put them under load they start to fail.

Also, be sure that your connections from the battery to the cables are clean and tight.

Easiest things first.
Old enough to have seen it all, heard it all, done it all. Just can't remember it all.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #2 on: 27 July, 2019, 01:54:49 AM »
A multimeter is your best friend here, test the battery CCA yourself

Check the battery has a minimum of 12.4v across the terminals, if not fully charge it and check that it is holding a charge. Disable the ignition and fuel systems and turn the engine over on the starter motor for 15 seconds while checking the voltage across the battery terminals, if the voltage drops below 9.5v then suspect a battery fault. If the battery is fine turn your attention to

1) battery connections are they secure?

2) starter motor connections are they secure?

Offline paulv1

« Reply #3 on: 27 July, 2019, 04:12:15 PM »
Thanks for the quick replies. Will get a multimeter and start from there. Will update asap. Cheers

Offline VanquishedWombat

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000FA ABS
  • City / Town: Winchester
« Reply #4 on: 28 August, 2019, 03:54:03 PM »
Hi @paulv1 - how did it go with the multimeter? My bike has this exact same issue. I recently purchased it and suspect it may have had a long period of lay-off so losing battery condition and also this could be the original 2010 battery that could reasonably need to be replaced for general wear-and-tear reasons. I have a smart 7-stage batt charger (Ring Smartcharger) which says the battery is 100% charged but still the starter manages about 3 revolutions before sounding wheezy and knackered.

I'd be keen to hear how you got on and what you found ?

VW

Offline paulv1

« Reply #5 on: 28 August, 2019, 03:59:41 PM »
Charger I was using told me I had full charge,but after using  a battery tester alli needed was to change the  battery for a new one,and ive not had a problem since.

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Newcastle
« Reply #6 on: 28 August, 2019, 06:45:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by VanquishedWombat [+]
this could be the original 2010 battery that could reasonably need to be replaced for general wear-and-tear reasons. I have a smart 7-stage batt charger (Ring Smartcharger) which says the battery is 100% charged but still the starter manages about 3 revolutions before sounding wheezy and knackered.

Your charger is showing the battery fully charged - because it is at that moment in time. Or, rather, it's holding a full charge at that moment in time.
However, you need to load test the battery (which is what your starter is effectively doing when you crank the bike over). A proper load test will show you what state the battery is in. Though, if it is the 2010 battery, I'd be guessing it is most likely toast by now. :127: And if it isn't from 2010, it still sounds like you need a new one.

Good info in this how to multimeter battery load test video:

Yuasa £60 using the discount code 'PLETHORA' & only valid til 30th Aug:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Yuasa-YTZ10S-12V-High-Performance-Maintenance-Free-Motorcycle-Battery/283322663994?hash=item41f758c43a:g:oUAAAOSwA3xcE-hk

GS £40:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GS-Yuasa-TTZ10S-YTZ10S-Motorcycle-Battery-12v-9-1Ah-190-CCA/283559804351?hash=item42057b3dbf:g:nYAAAOSwEHpdPwIJ

« Last Edit: 28 August, 2019, 07:07:55 PM by Shed »

Offline FLIZ

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: North Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: 29 August, 2019, 08:56:37 AM »
Hello VanquishedWombat. Welcome to the forum. You have mentioned problems starting/turning over bike engine, also you have purchased from a dealer only two weeks ago. Take it back to the dealer, let him have a look, it should have some warranty on it. Good luck. Let us know how you get on.
                                                                                   :028:

Offline Ali-bear

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Mk2 Biffer
  • City / Town: Bristol
« Reply #8 on: 29 August, 2019, 05:17:10 PM »
All occasional bikers should invest in both a battery tender and a jump starter pack, I can't recommend them highly enough. Widely available for about £50.
Had to replace my CBF battery when it was only about four years old. They put small ones on new bikes these days to cut down on cost/weight.
Designed in Japan, assembled in Italy, fiddled with in Britain

Offline J-man

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000A6
« Reply #9 on: 29 August, 2019, 10:15:10 PM »
When I bought my biffer 2nd hand, it had trouble turning over but it did start eventually, especially when warm it had trouble.
The battery was just not convincing.

Put it on a computer charger that charges + discharges and compute Ah in and out.
Of the original 9 Ah rating there was only 4 Ah effectively available on the discharge part.
My brother's bike (Africa twin) also had a doubtful start performance, his batt had only 50% of rated Ah available on discharge.
We both got a new batt and all OK.

I doubted between Lithium or classic lead-sulphur (prices were the same), and choose the lithium for a way higher CCA, and the engine starts very well now.
The only draw back on that Li-batt: it is rated to only have 4 Ah no more when new.
So far I didn't need more (knock on wood), but I'm well aware it's no 10Ah as per original batt chemistry.

What I don't understand is why they advertise Ah when it's a lead battery, and advertise Wh when it's a lithium. Why the difference?
The lithiums are usually 48Wh divided by 12V = 4Ah.
« Last Edit: 29 August, 2019, 10:15:56 PM by J-man »

diverse-leafy