Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Front suspension clicking noise  (Read 593 times)

Offline oldtimer03

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000TA
  • City / Town: Bucks
Re: Front suspension clicking noise
« Reply #10 on: 10 August, 2019, 05:03:41 PM »
What you describe is exactly what I had on my biffer on 16000 miles! The problem was that it needed new head bearings. I had All-Balls taper bearings installed and problem solved. It wasn’t expensive. I had to go back to the dealer to have the bearing retightened after a few days without charge, as it wasn’t quite fully seated, but that apart it’s been fine ever since (now on 25000 miles). I’d put money on this being your problem too. These factory head bearings have a poor record.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #11 on: 10 August, 2019, 07:49:23 PM »
From what you're saying, a metallic clicking felt through the bars, bumps, potholes, heavy braking, 10 year old 34,000 miler its fair to assume its a faulty headstock bearing. It may also be the bushes or even both the bearings and bushes. So how is it that two service centres and an independent garage acknowledge the clicking but cannot diagnose it?

Check it yourself - With the front wheel off the ground

1) Holding both forks by the stanchions, as close to the top as you can, slowly turn the forks from full lock to full lock to full lock, the forks should move perfectly smoothly. If there is any resistance, juddering or notching suspect the headstock bearings.

2) Holding the fork legs below the calipers push and pull forwards & backwards and side to side, if there is any movement between the fork stanchions and yokes suspect the headstock bearings. If there is any movement between the fork stanchions and fork legs suspect the bushings.

3) While your down there check the front wheel bearings. Hold the wheel across its diameter and apply opposing sideways pressure at various points around its circumference, if there is any movement suspect the wheel bearings.

4) Lastly your metallic clicking could be caused by insufficient fork oil, contaminated fork oil or worn fork springs. A fork service is not covered by the Honda service schedule and is something you should consider on a 10 year old 34,000 miler.
« Last Edit: 10 August, 2019, 07:51:16 PM by Art »

Offline Enlevike

• Bike: Cbf1000 gt abs
  • City / Town: Norwich
« Reply #12 on: 10 August, 2019, 07:56:58 PM »
Had headstock bearing, springs, new oil, etc as i said in my previsious post replaced. Everything is stiff, but still knocking... It drives me crazy

Offline oldtimer03

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000TA
  • City / Town: Bucks
« Reply #13 on: 11 August, 2019, 09:37:36 AM »
Art is exactly right in his suggestions. My money is still on the head bearing being not quite seated properly, assuming I read correctly that it is now a new set. My dealer is really good, but even they needed to tighten it up again after initial installation. If none of Art’s suggestions point to the problem then I sympathise, and wish you good luck finding the answer. Keep us informed if you do get it sorted.