Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Front suspension clicking noise  (Read 793 times)

Offline Enlevike

• Bike: Cbf1000 gt abs
  • City / Town: Norwich
Front suspension clicking noise
« on: 25 July, 2019, 09:08:22 PM »
Hi everyone. I would need some advice for a recently purchased cbf1000 2008 with 34000miles on the clock. There is a clicking noise coming from the front when on bumps and braking hard to stop(i can feel it in the handlebar). I have been in 2 service centers already, but though both noticed the noise they said it's nothing wrong, they checked bearings and discs everything seems to be ok. I have been suggested to swap forks so i did with yss ones. Nothing changed. Any suggestions? Thanks

Offline FLIZ

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: North Yorkshire
Re: Front suspension clicking noise
« Reply #1 on: 26 July, 2019, 08:24:08 AM »
Top yoke nut loose. Handlebar clamp bolts loose. Play in Head bearings. Fork leg clamp bolts loose in top and bottom yokes.

All the places I would be looking at first.

Let us know how you get on.   :028:

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #2 on: 27 July, 2019, 02:03:54 AM »
When a workshop tells you 'there's nothing to worry about' what they mean is they cannot determine the cause but it's nothing critical because they've eliminated all the likely suspects.

Offline raYzerman

• CBF Member
  • Bike: FJR1300A CBF1000
  • City / Town: Millgrove, ON
« Reply #3 on: 05 August, 2019, 06:45:26 PM »
What FLIZ says... what are yss forks?
I would remove the side fairings and check for something loose/rattling like the main support stays, familiarize yourself with what's under there.  On mine, the rear brake hose bolt was loosened, allowing it to pivot freely for handlebar risers.  Might rattle, might not, put some loctite on it and snug it a bit but still leave it so it pivots?

Offline Scott_rider

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Aylesbury
« Reply #4 on: 05 August, 2019, 08:57:24 PM »
I reckon the steering stem nut is loose. It’s the large nut in the centre of the top yoke and just underneath the handlebars. You can just about get a spanner on it if you’re careful but it’s easier to take the bars off. The correct torque for that nut is 103nm...which is a lot...if it’s loose you’ll get a clunking/knocking noise as the fork legs do their stuff over bumps etc.

Offline Enlevike

« Reply #5 on: 05 August, 2019, 11:48:01 PM »
Took it to an independent garage.
Been advised that the steering bearing it's on the way, and there are signs of tightening in the past.
Also that it requires new bushes.
Quote for parts
£28 fork oil seals
£50 bushes
£20 all balls head bearing.
It seems a bit exagerated  at 34k miles...

Offline FLIZ

• CBF Member
« Reply #6 on: 06 August, 2019, 09:17:44 AM »
Yes all likely suspects for the “clicking” noise in the original post. Agree seems a lot of wear for that mileage. But you won’t know where and what type of roads it has been used on, and how often as the fork oil been changed.  Poor roads, Potholes, speed bumps etc all take their toll on suspension units and head bearings.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #7 on: 06 August, 2019, 07:35:50 PM »
Its not just the mileage age has some bearing (see what I did there) on wear and tear too. Wemoto prices for Honda CBF 1000 A7/A8 SC58B 2007-08 look better than your independent garage and that's before their trade discount which they wouldn't pass on of course.

Slinky Glide Fork Repair Kit (2 Oil Seals, 2 Dust Seals, 2 Retaining Clips, 2 Inner Bushes & 2 Outer Bushes) £41.30
All Balls (USA) Tapered Headrace Bearing and Seal Kit 26x47x15mm & 30x55x18mm £26.06
1L Fork oil £8.70 (did they quote for fork oil?)

Total £67.36 that's a saving of £30.00 before the trade discount!

link https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/honda/cbf_1000_a7_a8_sc58b_abs_model/07-08

Offline Enlevike

« Reply #8 on: 10 August, 2019, 04:22:02 PM »
Called me today to pickup the bike. Same clicking noise at braking and permanently on potholes. Wouldn't take it. They said they going to disassemble the fairing and see... But for me it sounds like metal i can't imagine it coming from the plastics.

Offline FLIZ

• CBF Member
« Reply #9 on: 10 August, 2019, 04:41:47 PM »
Seems to me they are just stabbing in the dark at the problem and possible solutions, and charging you good money for the pleasure of you letting them work on your bike.