Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Removal of Rear Caliper 2009 Biffer.  (Read 159 times)

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000-A9
  • City / Town: Maldon
Removal of Rear Caliper 2009 Biffer.
« on: 19 July, 2019, 09:10:34 PM »
Belated thanks to all those who contributed recently.Have just finished servicing mine & can confirm it is not necessary to remove rear wheel to remove the caliper fully from the bike.A 12mm open ender will allow removal of the rearmost(smaller)slider pin and o course the larger front one & the caliper can be lifted off the disc.ed.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
Re: Removal of Rear Caliper 2009 Biffer.
« Reply #1 on: 19 July, 2019, 10:01:29 PM »
Well done that man, I stand corrected. In the past I've replaced the rear pads and given the rear caliper and disc a full on winter clean with the wheel and caliper in situ and also with the wheel and caliper off when the wheel was off for a tyre change. Never thought to separate the caliper at the bracket.

Good job there.

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Pro
« Reply #2 on: 19 July, 2019, 11:24:01 PM »
Thanks,ART.Was able to give the whole caliper a thorough clean & remove/polish accumulated"crud" off the extremities of all three pistons.No actual splitting of the caliper itself of course.Ed.

Offline NJD

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A 06
« Reply #3 on: 20 July, 2019, 09:25:17 AM »
Well done that man.

Previous bike (a Kawasaki) I worked on the slider pins just pulled out of the bracket. I didn't even notice the locknut the last, and first time, I serviced my rear brake. Having a half a brain cell left me the simpler option of removing the rear wheel rather than bleeding the entire system like the manual suggests, but why the manual doesn't just mention this is beyond me. Honda attempting to get people into their workshops making things seem overly difficult?  :008:

I've a spare caliper that I managed to nab for cheap to test this on and can confirm it's probably best to undo the 14 mm caliper bolt entirely, and remove, and then lift the caliper slightly; and then undo the 12 mm nut by placing the spanner into the caliper from the front of the bike facing rearwards (not enough space on the rear of the caliper to get the head of a spanner in the tight gap and lifting the caliper up allows room for that to happen from front facing rearwards).

I'll test it when I next clean the rear brake, but is too much work to do for the sake of it at the moment. Probably have to undo a couple of routing cables on the ABS module but way easier than the 3 1/2 hours it took for me to struggle to put everything back together last time, while learning on the go.  :008:

Always good to take the wheel out to grease the axle, check bearings etc but you've saved me selling the bike due to being a pain to work on in the winter.  :028:

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Pro
« Reply #4 on: 20 July, 2019, 10:05:12 AM »
ThanksNJD. Sounds like a useful refinement in best way to remove the 12mm slider pin.Shows just how valuable this site is! Ed. :460: