Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Removal of Rear Caliper 2009 Biffer.  (Read 607 times)

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000-A9
  • City / Town: Maldon
Removal of Rear Caliper 2009 Biffer.
« on: 19 July, 2019, 09:10:34 PM »
Belated thanks to all those who contributed recently.Have just finished servicing mine & can confirm it is not necessary to remove rear wheel to remove the caliper fully from the bike.A 12mm open ender will allow removal of the rearmost(smaller)slider pin and o course the larger front one & the caliper can be lifted off the disc.ed.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
Re: Removal of Rear Caliper 2009 Biffer.
« Reply #1 on: 19 July, 2019, 10:01:29 PM »
Well done that man, I stand corrected. In the past I've replaced the rear pads and given the rear caliper and disc a full on winter clean with the wheel and caliper in situ and also with the wheel and caliper off when the wheel was off for a tyre change. Never thought to separate the caliper at the bracket.

Good job there.

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Pro
« Reply #2 on: 19 July, 2019, 11:24:01 PM »
Thanks,ART.Was able to give the whole caliper a thorough clean & remove/polish accumulated"crud" off the extremities of all three pistons.No actual splitting of the caliper itself of course.Ed.

Offline NJD

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A 06
« Reply #3 on: 20 July, 2019, 09:25:17 AM »
Well done that man.

Previous bike (a Kawasaki) I worked on the slider pins just pulled out of the bracket. I didn't even notice the locknut the last, and first time, I serviced my rear brake. Having a half a brain cell left me the simpler option of removing the rear wheel rather than bleeding the entire system like the manual suggests, but why the manual doesn't just mention this is beyond me. Honda attempting to get people into their workshops making things seem overly difficult?  :008:

I've a spare caliper that I managed to nab for cheap to test this on and can confirm it's probably best to undo the 14 mm caliper bolt entirely, and remove, and then lift the caliper slightly; and then undo the 12 mm nut by placing the spanner into the caliper from the front of the bike facing rearwards (not enough space on the rear of the caliper to get the head of a spanner in the tight gap and lifting the caliper up allows room for that to happen from front facing rearwards).

I'll test it when I next clean the rear brake, but is too much work to do for the sake of it at the moment. Probably have to undo a couple of routing cables on the ABS module but way easier than the 3 1/2 hours it took for me to struggle to put everything back together last time, while learning on the go.  :008:

Always good to take the wheel out to grease the axle, check bearings etc but you've saved me selling the bike due to being a pain to work on in the winter.  :028:

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Pro
« Reply #4 on: 20 July, 2019, 10:05:12 AM »
ThanksNJD. Sounds like a useful refinement in best way to remove the 12mm slider pin.Shows just how valuable this site is! Ed. :460:

Offline NJD

• CBF Member
« Reply #5 on: 22 September, 2019, 11:38:06 AM »
Hi, bit of a bump.

How did you attach the rear caliper back onto the bike? I'm having trouble getting the rearmost slider pin to thread into the hole as the clearances seem very tight.

Even the slim spanner in the O.E.M toolkit (although it may be a like-for-like replacement spanner) seems too big to get a proper grip in there (just rubs against all the other parts).

Also did you entirely rebuild the caliper before fitting or after?

Only at this point because I can't get the caliper to stay in place while fitting the rear wheel so got to this point in the hope you can help.

« Last Edit: 22 September, 2019, 11:38:52 AM by NJD »

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Pro
« Reply #6 on: 22 September, 2019, 12:03:10 PM »
Hi NJD.Sorry to hear that it is being awkward.I refit with both pads removed as your pic.Make sure all is clean & arrange that the slider can be entered into the female thread and started & screwed with fingers.With the right spanner, can then be tightened fully.Good Luck! Ed.

Offline NJD

• CBF Member
« Reply #7 on: 22 September, 2019, 01:22:32 PM »
Hi, thanks for the swift response. Still no luck but should be an easier job at this point for the local shop if I get bored / can't tackle it tomorrow (raining now).

Just to bullet point the order of things

- Remove pad retaining pin with 8 mm socket
- Remove brake pads by hand (expect a spring or two to fall out of place)
- Pull caliper body to the R/H side of the bike as far as it will go (until L/H side of the caliper body touches the brake disc) as this creates enough room for the next step (may be hard if slider pins are gunked up due to winter crud)
- Pull away rearmost rubber boot to expose the nut that threads into the caliper bracket (attached to swingarm and the whole reason manual recommends removing rear wheel)
- Loosen nut with 12 mm spanner and thread away from bracket by hand after that (may need to remove rear wheel anyway depending on condition of that nut/winter crud being in there)
- Loosen 14 mm slider pin bolt (the above step and this one can probably be swapped around with out much effect, and doing this first may even help with freeing up space)
- Lift away caliper from disc (still tight depending on exhaust/panner rack setup).

Install:

- Place pad spring onto bracket in the swingarm
- Place pad retaining spring in the caliper body
- Thread caliper rearmost 12 mm nut in by hand then with a spanner
- 14 mm nut tighten (same again: not sure if you do this or above first matters)
- Insert brake pads ensuring they clip into the spring plate that fits onto the bracket
- Insert pad retaining pin and tighten

Should be done, but is a bloody fiddle.

Here's to hoping I can get it done before the local shop raids my piggy bank.  :008:

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Pro
« Reply #8 on: 22 September, 2019, 03:44:39 PM »
Hi NJD.What is meant by the first line of your " Install " procedure please? What do you mean by the,"Pad Spring" ? Ed.

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Pro
« Reply #9 on: 22 September, 2019, 03:46:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by iNCORRIGIBLE [+]
Hi NJD.What is meant by the first line of your " Install " procedure please? What do you mean by the,"Pad Spring" ? Ed.