Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 25000 mile service tips?  (Read 196 times)

Offline oldtimer03

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000TA
  • City / Town: Bucks
25000 mile service tips?
« on: 18 July, 2019, 07:28:26 PM »
My 2011 reg Mk1 has done 25000 miles and is due itís MOT next month. Iím getting the valve clearances checked for the first time, and replacing the original spark plugs with new Iridium versions as well as scheduled std oil/filter change etc. Does anyone have any good insightful tips for non-scheduled checks and preventative measures that would be worth doing whilst the bike is in for its op, bearing in mind itís age etc?
Any advice would be most welcome, so thanks in advance.
ps. The bike has no known faults at present, and is on its original stator, and is in very good nick. (Thatís probably just jinxed that!)

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
Re: 25000 mile service tips?
« Reply #1 on: 18 July, 2019, 09:36:10 PM »
Assuming there is no untoward rattling, clanging or banging going on I'd leave the valve clearances and spark plugs until the 32,000 mile service. NGK put a service limit of 30,000 miles on the CR8EH-9 spark plugs.

At 25,000 miles I would:
Replace engine oil & filter
Clean the crankcase breather
Inspect fuel lines, throttle operation (including lubricate cables), air cleaner, cooling system, secondary air supply system,  drive chain, drive chain slider, disc and brake pad wear, side stand, exhaust pipe clamps.

At 8 years old, depending on service history I'd be replacing the coolant, brake fluid and clutch fluid.

« Last Edit: 18 July, 2019, 10:03:22 PM by Art »

Offline oldtimer03

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000TA
  • City / Town: Bucks
« Reply #2 on: 18 July, 2019, 11:41:45 PM »
Thanks Art. Your recommended 'to-do' list is very reassuringly normal, with no unusual gremlin items, which is what I'd hoped to hear. I'm now torn over whether or not to do the valves now or wait another year to get towards 28/30k. I'm inclined to take your advice though, and leave it a year. Overall, the Biffer seems to have a good reputation, (stator apart), and mine seems to have nothing untoward going on. Isn't it disappointing that the biking press seem to completely ignore our bike, even though the equivalent Suzuki 1250 gets the odd mention? The Biffer must be the most underrated, and best value for money 'old' style bike out there. The market, however, now seems to what electronic controls for everything, whereas I just love the flexibility of the Biffer to ride in either cruise and sports mode using just the stop and go levers! Ho hum....each to his own. Cheers Art.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #3 on: 18 July, 2019, 11:54:56 PM »
Your welcome.There are other bits and pieces such as wheels, tyres, headstock bearings etc but these are inspected at the MOT so why pay for them to be inspected twice besides the rates are better value at the MOT test.