Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Harley to Honda  (Read 243 times)

Offline Crispy

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Manchester
Harley to Honda
« on: 15 July, 2019, 03:59:13 PM »
Hi guys, I’ve had to sell my Harley 1200 Sportster (be gentle all you Harley haters  :152: ) for practical and financial reasons and got myself a 08 CBF1000A with 47,000 miles on the clock. Got to say it’s a brilliant all-rounder and a lot easier to live with than a Harley. It’s my 3rd big bike in 3 years and it’s the best bike I’ve had so far.

I’m looking to recondition the entire bike as I enjoy working on bikes as much as riding them. When she’s ready I’m going to tour France and then keep it for as long as possible to really test the Honda and see how many miles I can get out of this machine.

Thanks for having me, looking forward to getting involved with the forum to share knowledge and experience with like minded “biffer” enthusiasts.

P.S Can’t seem to post a picture of the bike, click on picture of Mona then attach file and nothing shows up. Apple and IOS?

Cheers
A day without learning is a day wasted

Offline Tommo2

• CBF Master
  • Proud owner of CBF 1000GT FAC, MZ 301, Jawa 350
  • Bike: CBF1000GT 2016
  • City / Town: Stevenage
Re: Harley to Honda
« Reply #1 on: 15 July, 2019, 04:20:10 PM »
 :401:

Congratulations and welcome.

Offline Pan404

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-2011,
  • City / Town: ELGIN
« Reply #2 on: 15 July, 2019, 06:28:11 PM »
Welcome Crispy from a fellow Mancunian (North of the city) now living in biking Mecca.

We'll try not to hold your previous Harley ownership against you :001: I'm sure you will enjoy yours as much as we all enjoy ours.

Offline Crispy

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #3 on: 15 July, 2019, 10:40:31 PM »
Thanks for the welcome  :031:

Harley ownership isn’t easy in the rainy city. They’re a lovely machine but working on them can drive you nuts trying to find the right size sockets, they use both metric and imperial. Unless you’ve got the money to pay a Harley mechanic (along with the “Harley tax” Stage 1 tune), the bike can spend more time in the garage, cleaning and turning spanners, than out on the road.

I finished my first job on the biffer today, rear wheel bearings. Just a little heads up for you. Got a rear wheel bearing kit, three bearings and two seals. Two for the wheel hub and one for the sprocket coupling. I measured them against the bearings I pulled out with a micrometer and found that the depth on the sprocket coupling bearing was 17mm instead of 16mm. That would throw my wheel out of alignment with the front by 1mm. Not good. I’m now waiting for a response from the supplier.

I did search the forum for advice on bearings but not much there.
A day without learning is a day wasted

diverse-leafy