Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Centre stand height?  (Read 906 times)

Offline NJD

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000A 06
Centre stand height?
« on: 12 July, 2019, 11:05:27 PM »
Hi,

Seems the centre stand on this bike suffers from dwarfism, or am I missing something?

Never known a bike to have the rear tyre on the ground even when on the centre stand. How am I supposed to spin the wheel to lube the chain etc?

Thanks in advance.

Offline oldtimer03

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000TA
Re: Centre stand height?
« Reply #1 on: 12 July, 2019, 11:21:45 PM »
Hi, my Mk1 is totally standard, normal suspension etc, and using the centre stand leaves the rear wheel about two inches off the (flat) floor. Unfortunately I have no solution for you, but what you have is not normal, so I’d question what is not standard on your machine. Good luck!
« Last Edit: 12 July, 2019, 11:23:12 PM by oldtimer03 »

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
  • Try Google (" site:cbf1000.com + search word/s ")
  • Bike: CBF1000s Mk1/Mk2
  • City / Town: Surrey ('TW')
« Reply #2 on: 13 July, 2019, 07:50:26 AM »
I agree with oldtimer03

e.g., Has a non-standard (shorter) main stand been fitted and/or the fork tubes been lowered/'dropped' and/or has the overall length of the rear shock been increased either by the addition of a 'shim' or a by fitment of a longer, perhaps non-Honda, shock?

Here's what the Main (centre) stand should look like:
https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/honda-motorcycle/1000-MOTO/CBF/2007/CBF1000S7/Accessories/MAIN-STAND/17MFA6I1/08M5001/3/2074

and here are the Honda Workshop manuals for the front and rear suspension.
https://bob.ollis-brown.co.uk/manuals/cbf1000/2006-2008-CBF1000-A-14%20FRONT%20WHEEL-SUSPENSION-STEERING.pdf
&
https://bob.ollis-brown.co.uk/manuals/cbf1000/2006-2008-CBF1000-A-15%20REAR%20WHEEL-SUSPENSION.pdf
« Last Edit: 13 July, 2019, 07:52:40 AM by richardcbf »
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Offline NJD

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000A 06
« Reply #3 on: 13 July, 2019, 09:34:46 AM »
Hi,

This is one of those tuck your tail inbetween your leg moments: we live on a hill and the pathway is slanted, but level in parts, and it turns out I just needed to move it backwards to a very specific spot to give enough clearance between the ground and the underside of the rear wheel. Embarrassing, but at least it wasn't anymore difficult than that.

I did attempt to adjust the rear suspension with the c-spanner provided in the toolkit, however, and found that the bottom of the shock moved before the adjuster did (twisted). I've got a spare shock (like for like replacement) that I purchased because I wasn't happy with the condition of the one on the bike while looking it over at the shop and that adjusts fine (with a bit of force the more you put it towards the higher end, mind). Is this an indication of anything? I shouldn't have to pull as hard as I was on the c-spanner only for it to slip. One thing I thought was attempting to torque up the bolt that I can get too, but wanted advice before continuing. A shock that's fitted to the bike, and tightened in place, shouldn't be harder than one that's off the bike to adjust -- without anything holding it in place.

Offline Classic

• Bike: CBF1000 AT
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #4 on: 26 April, 2020, 08:59:11 PM »
On the subject of centre stands, does the CBF Mk1 have a rear lifting handle. I just bought a 2010 model and couldn't find one. I used the pillion grab rail, but it's an uncomfortable stretch doing that. Am I missing a trick here? Cheers.

Online Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
« Reply #5 on: 26 April, 2020, 11:13:36 PM »
That is how it is on the SC58 (MKI) use the pillion grab handle.

Face the bike, left hand left bar grip, right hand pillion grab handle, right foot centre stand, lean to the right and pull on both hands. Get oyur balance right and the bike will almost do it for you.

Offline Classic

• Bike: CBF1000 AT
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #6 on: 27 April, 2020, 08:37:45 AM »
Thanks Art. As the grab rail is so far back it's not ideal, but on the upside at least the bike has a centre stand, unlike many today and it looks a lot more robust than those on bikes I've owned before. I'm sure I'll get used to it in time.  :001:

Online Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
« Reply #7 on: 27 April, 2020, 11:21:32 AM »
If you are struggling try it with the side stand down to give yourself a little extra confidence. Face the bike and lower the centre stand so that both of its supports are firmly grounded you can then step up onto the centre stand side bar, pull on the grab handle and then using your body weight lean towards the back of the bike and it will pivot up and put itself on the centre stand, its more of a pivoting action than lifting. I find you don't really need to pull on the handle bar unless the bike is loaded with luggage and then that is best done on full left lock but be prepared for the bike to rotate a little as it pivots up, the more luggage the more effort is required. Just be confident that with the centre stand firmly grounded on both supports the bike will balance itself as you step up.

Recent Posts

diverse-leafy