Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Battery Draining - due to 12 v socket ?  (Read 180 times)

Offline xristoff

• Bike: 2009 cbf 1000
  • City / Town: toronto
Battery Draining - due to 12 v socket ?
« on: 10 July, 2019, 05:55:15 PM »
Hello all,

hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

My 2009 CBF 1000 has been running fine since got it out from winter storage.

About a weeks ago, we had a wicked rain storm and I noticed the waterproof cap on my 12v socket (mounted on console) was slightly opened and water was sitting in the socket.

I dried it out, and couple days later I wanted to check to see if it was still working.  I plugged my adapter into the socket attached to my phone.  No Charge.

then about two days later (riding the bike daily) I was downtown TO and had ridden to work.  when I went to leave at end of day, the battery was almost dead and bike wouldn't start.

I was able to find a shop near by that had 1 battery left and I needed to get the bike home so I bought the battery, installed it, and got home no problem.

this was a brand new battery.  Bike was starting fine for about 2 days, then on the third day, went to start in the am, and the new battery was now dead.

Any thoughts on if this 12v socket getting wet, not working, might lead to a drain on the battery?

Appreciate any and all advice, (and how best to troubleshoot).

Xris

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
  • Try Google (" site:cbf1000.com + search word/s ")
  • Bike: CBF1000s Mk1/Mk2
  • City / Town: Surrey ('TW')
Re: Battery Draining - due to 12 v socket ?
« Reply #1 on: 10 July, 2019, 07:02:44 PM »
Is there a fuse in the line to the 12V socket? If yes, have you checked that it hasn't blown?

In case the battery failing is a simple coincidence, have you checked the bike's charging voltage?
(Page 18-7 here: https://bob.ollis-brown.co.uk/manuals/cbf1000/2006-2008-CBF1000-A-18%20BATTERY-CHARGING%20SYSTEM.pdf )
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Offline xristoff

• Bike: 2009 cbf 1000
  • City / Town: toronto
« Reply #2 on: 10 July, 2019, 07:39:14 PM »
thanks I will check re fuse in the line.

If the fuse was blown, would that lead to drain on battery?

basically a brand new battery and my old battery which was fine both drained in a couple of days after noticed the wet socket.

appreciate your help
Chris

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #3 on: 11 July, 2019, 08:28:31 AM »
You need to check the stand by current drain.

A multimeter is your only friend here. Set the multimeter up to read amps (red probe in the 10A DC socket, black probe in the COM/Earth socket and set the dial to the 10A DC range). Remove the battery negative lead and connect the multimeter between the battery’s negative lead and negative terminal. Standby current drain should be less than 35mA (0.035A) that's allowing for any 'always on' electrical accessories such as an after market alarm system etc. If your CBF is factory standard then the maximum stand by current drain to expect is 0.5mA (0.0005A) for the MKI (SC58) and 2mA (0.002A) for the MKII (SC64).

If the stand by current drain is higher than expected you need to investigate the cause. Do this by removing one fuse at a time and re-checking the stand by current drain to determine which circuit is causing the problem, remember to replace each fuse before moving on to the next fuse/circuit. Once you've found which fuse/circuit is causing the drain you will have to check all the components, wiring and connectors associated with that fuse/circuit to find the root cause.

Where to start - After the initial standby current drain test isolate the suspected 12v socket, it should have an inline fuse remove that to isolate and test again.