Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What is this all about please?  (Read 486 times)

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000-A9
  • City / Town: Maldon
What is this all about please?
« on: 06 July, 2019, 03:54:11 PM »
Do I need to do anything/maintenance/draining of the small transparent tube at the very centre of my pics? Thanks Ed.(Sorry all pics won't load.The tube is visible from the nearside,about 50mm long,directly behind the cylinder block ,sealed ended and appears to connect to the bottom corner of the air filter housing.Thanks in advance.)Ed.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
Re: What is this all about please?
« Reply #1 on: 06 July, 2019, 04:58:39 PM »
Its the moisture drain for the air box. Remove it, drain it, clean it, refit it 9 I do mine twice a year but its hardly ever had any water in it. Long nose pliers are your best friend here. Don't snip the end of the tube off as some on here suggest because that means all manner of dirt, grit, insects and anything else that fits up the tube can be sucked straight into the cylinder bores.

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Pro
« Reply #2 on: 06 July, 2019, 05:09:41 PM »
Just realised it is a sight tube to indicate the presence of any moisture in the air filter box.Ed.

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Pro
« Reply #3 on: 06 July, 2019, 05:12:17 PM »
Many thanks Art. Only just read your earlier reply.Ed.

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • -
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
« Reply #4 on: 08 July, 2019, 09:55:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by iNCORRIGIBLE [+]
Just realised it is a sight tube to indicate the presence of any moisture in the air filter box.Ed.
Well really it is the 'collection tube', aka Crankcase breather drain.
Of course, if full will indicate oil/water is staying in the airbox (and ultimately ingested in lieu of fresh air).
Have a read of the owners manual P86 (for a MkI) and the service schedule - they recommend a check every 4k miles - in practice (as mine (a mkII) us usually clear I opt to remove it every 8k service or earlier and ensure it is quite clean and dry, a Q-tip (other brands available) is very useful for this task.
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Pro
« Reply #5 on: 08 July, 2019, 10:09:32 PM »
Many Thanks,jm2 & Art.Group knowledge has clearly been added to by your contributions making the site even stronger,Ed. :031:

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #6 on: 09 July, 2019, 06:49:12 AM »
'Crankcase Breather' that's the kiddy...

and page 86 of the owners manual is the 'Keep It Simple Stupid' instruction to follow. Also mentioned in  section 4 page 7 (MKI) and section 3 page 8 (MKII) maintenance manuals, both these have you unnecessarily removing the left side cover.

Offline raYzerman

• CBF Member
  • Bike: FJR1300A CBF1000
  • City / Town: Millgrove, ON
« Reply #7 on: 05 August, 2019, 06:48:55 PM »
In the auto biz, it's made of rubber and is called a duckbill... allows collection of water and wlll let it drain automatically (in air conditioning systems).  This Biffer one is a bit harder.  My FJR uses a hose with a small inline filter like a teeny fuel filter.... a cheap dirt bike fuel filter would work.