Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: MK2 Upgrade  (Read 709 times)

Offline Gianluca

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF 1000 ST MkII
MK2 Upgrade
« on: 29 June, 2019, 04:47:01 PM »
Hello to everyone!
My black Mk2 does not satisfy me so much.
I have no feeling with it, so I'm planning to make an upgrade from september.
Ok, first of all, the bike.
https://www.moto.it/moto-usate/honda/cbf-1000/cbf-1000-st-2010-13/7383857
Yes, I've tried to sell it, but here in Italy CBF is not so popular, and no one called to buy.
The link is only for the pictures.

My idea is to repaint all the original Black parts in metallic amaranth (or metallic red), tank, front fender, upper fairings and the tail hulls, and the suitcases covers.
Add a rear hugger (ermax) and paint it at the same time, same colour, but not the chainguard, I think that part in matt black.
Than I have other things to paint:
engine covers, or the 2 plastic fairings that are under the seat, so to have continuity of the colour from the front to the tail. One of these 2 thing, both it seems too much.
Plastic parts need a big work because are not painted, but the bodyworker told me it is possible to do it.
And another thing is the nose, the "V" shape part between front lights and under the screen.
All the original new stickers will be applied before the transparent paint, so the result will be much better then now.

Than, I have in my mind to modify the front lights and make them to function both at the same time, replacing the actual H7 bulbs with 2 Led H4 units, so 2 low beam and 2 High beam.
Replace also the little lights on the fairings with Led type withe the same colour of the main.

Replace rear directions indicators with two progressive Led type.

Polishing of the 4 exhaust pipes

Replace silencer with a Leovince LV ONE EVO Stainless Steel.

Modify the screen to reduce wind noise.

Replace the front fork springs an hydraulic with something a little less soft.

And finally, looking for the cause of the engine noise that I really don't like, when the engine is warm and fix it.
It seems the valve shaft chain is loose, I don't know.

After all, I will reassemble the bike with antivibrations to avoid nois from plastics and fairings.

My hope is to build "My bike", something that I will love in the same way of my previous CBR 600, now 25 years old and still riding with it's new owner!

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated
« Last Edit: 29 June, 2019, 04:53:38 PM by Gianluca »

Offline pedro

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000 2008
  • City / Town: Cumbria
Re: MK2 Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 29 June, 2019, 06:51:04 PM »
Well, there's interesting, isn't it.

Frankly, I don't think such modifications will help sell the bike (although I know next to nothing about the Italian bike market). But if you are doing it to make it into the bike you want to have and to keep and the cosmetic alterations do that, then I'd be the last person to say don't do it.

Alternative colour schemes have been seen on these bikes before (although I only know of Mk1s). Perhaps you might also consider a more classic Honda colour scheme from their history.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #2 on: 29 June, 2019, 09:32:41 PM »
Sounds like a money pit. I'm sure you would be better off by exchanging at a dealers with something more cosmetically to your liking.

On the headlamp front its not as easy as exchanging the H7's for H4's because the headlamp lens projections are different in each lamp and are not compatible with dual filament bulbs.

Offline Gianluca

• CBF Member
« Reply #3 on: 30 June, 2019, 09:23:57 AM »
Well, modifications are to make a bike "My bike", the idea is to keep it!
It's expensive, I know, but I consider that If I sell this bike for (example) 4'000 euros, the CB650 from the dealer now cost 8300 euros, so I have to add 4300 euros.
This transformation will cost something like 2000 euros, 1000 for the painting, 350 for the Leovince, 100 for the genuine stickers, 350 for the fork upgrade, and 150 for the rear hugger. I will need other 150 euros for lights upgrade, and something more for the mechanic, oil, filrters, noise fixing.

I've tried to change the CBF at a dealer for an XMax scooter, but dealers don't retry the CBF because too difficult to sell.
The XMax was the answer for my problem to the right hand, carpal tunnel issue, that make my hand to loose sensitivity (and seems dead) every 2 minutes while keeping acceleretor knob, so driving was terrible, this was the lasrt year.
Now the problem seems decreased, and this year I can drive on the autoroute for 20 minutes before start feeling this loss of sensitivity. As before, I leave the knob for a few seconds and I shake my and or I slap it on my leg and I'm ready for other 15-20 minutes of safe ride.
On the headlight front, looking the two lenses inside, it seems that the only difference is the height of the regulation: I've tried to rise the low beam and pull down the high beam and both becomes something like a medium beam (!), making a single line on a wall on fron of me.
So I think it's possoble to mount H4 Led bulbs and operate on the vertical orientation of the lens to reach correct position.
No relay will be necessary, because the current absorption of 2 Led bulbs is equal to the courrent absorpion of 1 filament bulb. Only twicing the wires will be sufficient.

Offline Jlangf0r

• City / Town: Cambridge
« Reply #4 on: 30 June, 2019, 11:08:36 PM »
I would be interested in buying your CBF and  keeping it in Italy for holiday riding but I suspect that it would be impossible for a non-resident to own and register a bike in Italy. Has anyone tried to do this?

Offline Gianluca

• CBF Member
« Reply #5 on: 01 July, 2019, 06:41:13 AM »
It's not impossible, but very difficult and I suppose expensive.
Art. 134 of our "road code regulations" says that non-italian citizen have to request a particular document for a maximum of one year, and a new plate number.
Our taxes depends on residence address, so for non-italian citizen I don't know how much these taxex amounts, I suppose those are very high.

Offline Tommo2

• CBF Master
  • Proud owner of CBF 1000GT FAC, MZ 301, Jawa 350
  • Bike: CBF1000GT 2016
  • City / Town: Stevenage
« Reply #6 on: 02 July, 2019, 04:41:06 PM »
Perverse that a motor bike manufactured in Italy is not popular with Italians!

Offline r32

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Leicestershire
« Reply #7 on: 20 July, 2019, 08:23:57 AM »
You can't stop progress, the CBF is sadly an old bike and it would seem to me youre probably reducing the monetary value of the bike. Trade it in for something with modern brakes, modern suspension that youre just going to love...

Offline Gianluca

• CBF Member
« Reply #8 on: 10 August, 2019, 10:26:07 AM »
Finally I did it.
I sold the bike.
My upgrade idea was too much expensive.
So after 25 years I am "one without a bike".
Except for the Kymco Agility 200 that I use to go to work every day...

What I didn't like in the CBF is the noise of the engine.
CBR 600 was more silent, there wasn't any noise from clutch, valvle chain tensioner, valvles.
The sound was clean.
The engine of the CBF sounds like if there are some gaps in the mechanical parts, and for me it is a bad  omen.
I didnít like also the gear ratios.
I felt the first gear too long: too much to slide with the clutch to move from stopped.
Distances from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd were ok.
But 4th gear too near 3rd, and the same fot 5th and 6th.
So 6th gear was too short!
The weak front fork, right for riding slowly and smoothly, but insufficient for a little faster use.
And last thing, the protection from the screen, and the wind noise about it.

What I liked, instead:
the general handling, fantastic for a 250+ kg motorbike.
The very silent gear change, really painless except for the clunchy 1st gear.
The sweetness of the engine, in terms of progression. Its linearity.
And consumption, so low!

Now itís time to ďturn the pageĒ, and forget this type of motorbike.
For me itís time for scootering!
This morning I tried the Honda Forza 300, I think something like it will be my next 2 wheel.

But I am really glad I owned a Biffer!!!

diverse-leafy