Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2008 CBF1000 Handlebar replacement and bar shimmy on deceleration  (Read 785 times)

Offline mugs mullie

• Bike: 2008 CBF1000
  • City / Town: Calgary
Hi, I just recently purchased a 2008 CBF 1000 with 28,000 kms.  After the first ride today into the mountains, I would like to replace the handlebars with lower ones.  My previous bike was a FJR 1300 and I find the stock ones on the CBF to be quite high, any recommendations?

Secondly, the bike has a bar shimmy under deceleration between around 100km/h down to 80 km/h. If you remove a hand off the bar, it becomes very noticeable... any thoughts on curing this?  Currently has the Bridgestone BT 57's on it...

Other than those two items, fun and comfortable bike to ride!  Appreciate your thoughts...

Thanks
Mugs

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
Re: 2008 CBF1000 Handlebar replacement and bar shimmy on deceleration
« Reply #1 on: 16 June, 2019, 12:57:41 AM »
Handle bar oscillation can be caused by many things including incorrect bar end weight, suspension set up, incorrect tyre pressures, large or overloaded top boxes/panniers. One cure is to fit a steering damper.

Offline oldtimer03

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000TA
« Reply #2 on: 16 June, 2019, 10:55:14 AM »
Hi and welcome to Bifferland. This ‘complaint’ is not that uncommon on biffers, and I had the same thing on mine. You may even notice that the top and bottom steering yokes are ever so slightly out of alignment. This again is very common on Mk1s at least, and generally doesn’t adversely affect handling. It is so slight that I live with it quite happily. My bar oscillation was largely cured when I replaced the steering head bearings at 16k miles (not far off your mileage). I’d get them checked out, as this is quite typical bearing life of many Japanese bikes I believe. The problem as Art says can be many things, but at least one thread in the past has suggested just keep your hands on the bars and the problem goes away! Not quite the answer but half true!
I now run Michelin PR4’s and have no noticeable oscillations with them.
You’ve got a great bike so don’t worry, it will definitely grow on you!

Offline pedro

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000 2008
  • City / Town: Cumbria
« Reply #3 on: 16 June, 2019, 11:55:17 PM »
I replaced my handlebar with a Renthal. I only did it with the intention of replacing the poor looking original that had developed some unsightly rust so I went for the same profile, but I'm sure you will find one that suits. You'll have to drill a hole each side to properly locate the switchgear and I recommend getting some Renthal bar ends too, which will be easier than trying to recover the original items and putting them on the new bars. Other than that, all went well for me.

Even if you can only find a direct replacement from Renthal, you can swivel it to a different (lower) angle on fitting (and drilling the holes accordingly for the switchgear) and that might do the trick for you.

Offline mugs mullie

• Bike: 2008 CBF1000
  • City / Town: Calgary
« Reply #4 on: 18 June, 2019, 04:02:38 AM »
Thanks All for the responses, appreciate the assistance.

Pedro, could you please clarify which Renthal model you went with?

Thanks

Mugs

Offline alfau

• Bike: Cbf 1000A 2008
  • City / Town: Brisbane
« Reply #5 on: 18 June, 2019, 05:55:49 AM »
Bifferland ?
Re :- Shimmyland.
I have changed fork oil to 15 weight with definite improvements, still a slight shimmy during deceleration . I am talking 20 km ph. no hands.  interesting observations and advise re triple tree alignment, keeping hands on bars etc. wheel balance could be an issue.
I noticed my front wheel does not spin freely when jacked up on centre stand. I was going to try cleaning break  calipers.

Offline Eh2zed

• CBF Member
  • I know...no wait...I don't know..
  • Bike: CBF1000AT8
  • City / Town: Port Hope, ONT.
« Reply #6 on: 21 July, 2019, 09:55:47 PM »
I just bought a 2008 and rode it yesterday for the first time. I also have shimmy on deceleration if my hands come off the bars. I had the exact same issue on my 04 Blackbird. The issue was apparently related to 2 conditions. At least it disappeared when I changed them.
1. The existence of a top box.
2. A front tire with a centre groove.
But this machine came with brand new Avons so I'm not replacing the rubber. I'll just keep my hands on the bars.

Offline pedro

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000 2008
  • City / Town: Cumbria
« Reply #7 on: 22 July, 2019, 03:03:11 PM »
I'm sorry, I didn't pick up on your question sooner, mugs mullie. My bad. I'm afraid I can't recall the exact model of bar. What I did was go onto their website and they give you all the information you need there. They have a "fit my bike" page with menus to select your bike and they come up with the appropriate bar that did it for me.

Hope that helps.

Recent Posts