Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: clunky first gear  (Read 1051 times)

Offline Ranger25

• Bike: cbf1000fa
  • City / Town: centurion
Re: clunky first gear
« Reply #10 on: 11 June, 2019, 08:14:12 AM »
i have tried the 5 second rule,,, certainly helps, also cleaned and adjusted chain😁😁   interestingly my  transalp 700 does not do it at all..

Offline Tommo2

• CBF Master
  • Proud owner of CBF 1000GT FAC, MZ 301, Jawa 350
  • Bike: CBF1000GT 2016
  • City / Town: Stevenage
« Reply #11 on: 11 June, 2019, 11:26:36 AM »
Ranger,
Bit off topic, I am interested why you prefer the road bike to the adventure bikes you had?
Tommo2

Offline Ranger25

• Bike: cbf1000fa
  • City / Town: centurion
« Reply #12 on: 12 June, 2019, 05:11:38 AM »
i rode superbikes many years ago....couple of years ago started riding again, single cylinder, twins, v-twins.....the 4 cylinder is so much smoother, handles better and accelerates in any gear to over 200, ......nothing wrong with adventure bikes, i will get one soon as a weekend play bike, but this honda is such a pleasure to ride

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • -
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
« Reply #13 on: 16 June, 2019, 10:35:32 AM »
.. accelerates in any gear to over 200, ...
:005:

Oh, k's ....
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Victorthou

• CBF Member
« Reply #14 on: 19 June, 2019, 09:41:46 PM »
As a recent owner of a Biffer i've noticed the clunky 1st gear. I'm interested to try the 5 second rule. I'll give that a go.

Offline Kamboskid

• Bike: cbf1000 2007
  • City / Town: Chios, Greece
« Reply #15 on: 06 August, 2019, 09:38:00 PM »
Hi, dunno what others think of this, I generally leave the bike in gear before I put it to bed, start it up in gear and pull away, the next day, no clunking into gear, I actually pulled away in 5th gear with a cold engine!

Offline raYzerman

• CBF Member
  • Bike: FJR1300A CBF1000
  • City / Town: Millgrove, ON
« Reply #16 on: 07 August, 2019, 01:43:54 PM »
What is happening is most likely a little clutch drag, moreso before the engine oil warms up.  Three possible causes for the "kerchunk" some bikes have.... brass bushing in the clutch lever is worn (replace it, use silicone grease on it), clutch system not optimal in that an annual flush and bleed will keep it optimal, and clutch plates insufficiently lubed with oil.  To fix the latter, do a clutch soak... remove and clean as necessary the clutch plates, soak in oil for a few minutes, reinstall.  You most likely will only have to do this once.  5 second rule helps also, but may not be necessary after all the above is addressed.
« Last Edit: 07 August, 2019, 01:45:00 PM by raYzerman »

Offline silentblock

• CBF Member
  • Bike: cbf1000f
  • City / Town: redhill
« Reply #17 on: 08 August, 2019, 11:24:38 PM »
This is normal years ago when we rode old bikes with kick starts it was the practice to kick the engine with the clutch leaver pulled in to free the clutch plates before starting the engine then it did not crunch when gears were selected. modern bikes with push button starters this is not possible shows 5 second rule is much the same idea.
70 year old git

diverse-leafy