Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Exhaust manifold red hot, engine not sounding right.  (Read 1194 times)

Offline Midlife

• Advice welcome
  • Bike: Cbf1000FA
  • City / Town: Dumbarton
Exhaust manifold red hot, engine not sounding right.
« on: 07 June, 2019, 10:21:16 PM »
Biker down, Biker down!!!

Hope some one can help with this issue. I decided to do some routine maintanence on the bike myself after seeing that one of my forks was leaking oil, fork seal change, no biggy but then i thought why not go all in and carry out an oil change, engine oil change, replace the spark plugs and strip the bike and give it an deep clean and sort out them annoying bits of rust.

I have just flashed the bike up and it took a few goes to start but starts each time since but it sounds rough in idle.

Also, my exhaust manifold is glowing red hot, only from the bit just where you ankle is, but its so hot its smoking.

I'm thinking the rough sound at idle could be I've not seated one of the spark plugs correctly but I'm worried about the exhaust. I don't understand why its getting so hot.

I'm hoping someone can call me a noob and suggest an easy fix.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: 07 June, 2019, 10:40:45 PM by Midlife »
Everyday is a school day

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
Re: Exhaust manifold red hot, engine not sounding right.
« Reply #1 on: 08 June, 2019, 06:53:57 AM »
The engine misfire is causing unburnt fuel to enter the exhaust system where it burns causing the red hot exhaust pipe. Cure the misfire and you'll cure the glowing red pipe. You may also have a leak in the exhaust pipe since that fuel would also need some oxygen for it to burn, check the exhaust clamps and exhaust joints just in front of the red hot pipe.

Hint - Since its the offside pipe that is glowing red hot the misfire is probably cylinder 3 or 4, note here that many a DIY'er on here has reported difficulty in pulling the number three plug cap which may be a good place for you to start.
« Last Edit: 08 June, 2019, 07:02:50 AM by Art »

Offline Midlife

• Advice welcome
« Reply #2 on: 08 June, 2019, 09:38:48 AM »
Thanks for the advice Art. I was going to check the plugs but didn't even consider the exhaust clamps.
Everyday is a school day

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • CBF1000 Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 08 June, 2019, 09:41:04 AM »
Agree with Art. Also wonder if those plugs are in correctly and importantly check that the HT leads are properly connected to the plugs ? If there's not much of a spark then you'll get some unburnt fuel ....

Only reason I mention that is because that's what you changed. Did you do any other work ?

Offline Midlife

• Advice welcome
« Reply #4 on: 08 June, 2019, 10:33:05 AM »
The only engine related work I done was changing the engine oil and filter, air filter and spark plugs. I thought things went too smoothly. The exhaust clamp is quite badly rusted on the one side so I'm wonder if that's letting air in like Art suggested and I've aggravated it when scrubbing that coupled with my inability to change spark plugs could have caused this???

I'll pull plugs and I've ordered a new clamp to replace the rusted one even though it does seen to be holding firm, might as well be on the safe side.

The pic I posted was after about 30secs of starting the bike, it got hot really quickly. Can unburnt fuel cause it to heat up so fast to the point where its molten hot after just a minute or so??
Everyday is a school day

Offline Art

• CBF Master
« Reply #5 on: 08 June, 2019, 04:54:57 PM »
Yes.

I trust you read this rather than opt for the OEM part

link https://www.cbf1000.com/index.php/topic,20484.msg242775.html#msg242775

Offline Midlife

• Advice welcome
« Reply #6 on: 08 June, 2019, 05:59:11 PM »
 :232: No......,, I never!!! OK, let's get that returned and the NON- OEM part ordered 😂

Cab anyone confirm what size I would need for a Mk2 2011 bike. Unable to check as at the airport flyong to Spain for a wee break
« Last Edit: 08 June, 2019, 06:03:01 PM by Midlife »
Everyday is a school day

Offline Art

• CBF Master
« Reply #7 on: 08 June, 2019, 07:42:42 PM »
I don't know but raw-power-motorcycles are offering 'Honda CBF1000 FA ABS C SC64D 2012-14 Mikalor Stainless Exhaust Clamp EXC555' for £6.69 delivered. Not as competitively priced as ordering from racebikebitzuk but you're saving hard earned and getting a better product than the Honda OEM £32.00 offering

links

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CBF1000-FA-ABS-C-SC64D-2012-14-Mikalor-Stainless-Exhaust-Clamp-EXC555/181982268873?epid=1153611985&hash=item2a5efd0dc9:g:yiwAAOSwNMVaV3iI

http://www.rawpowermotorcycles.co.uk/-mikalor-stainless-exhaust-clamp-zinc-bolt-exc555-c2x19282262

or if someone gets down and measures there's

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321778268047?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=510692247489&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
« Last Edit: 08 June, 2019, 07:45:42 PM by Art »

Offline Piper

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: NW Kent
« Reply #8 on: 08 June, 2019, 08:28:52 PM »
Its very easy to damage the no 3 spark plug lead when changing the plugs on the mark 1 cbf so maybe the same on the mk2. Many on here have had that problem.

Offline hondacbf

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #9 on: 11 June, 2019, 02:31:06 PM »
I’ve never done the plugs myself but is it possible for the leads to be connected to the wrong plug (plugs) !. As you say it is rough at idle. If it was running ok before starting the service, I would go back over everything you did methodically and rule things out.