Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Exhaust manifold red hot, engine not sounding right.  (Read 951 times)

Offline Midlife

• Advice welcome
  • Bike: Cbf1000FA
  • City / Town: Dumbarton
Re: Exhaust manifold red hot, engine not sounding right.
« Reply #10 on: 13 June, 2019, 07:45:10 AM »
I changed the plugs one at a time just to make sure I avoided F%&*ING UP!!! Guess I failed in that regard. But one positive to come out of this is I've learnt a little more about the bike, bike maintenance in general thanks to you guys so thank you. I've just got back to the UK so after a little sleep I'm going to tackle this today and I'll let you know how I get on.
Everyday is a school day

Offline Midlife

• Advice welcome
  • Bike: Cbf1000FA
  • City / Town: Dumbarton
« Reply #11 on: 14 June, 2019, 09:15:21 AM »
Thats the bike back on the road with no red hot exhaust or grumbling like its got rocks running through the engine. I stripped off the fairing to get at the spark plugs. Checked they were in, seated and plugged in. Pulled one out just to make sure I was using the correct type and I was but the engine was still not sounding great.

At this point I delved into my years of engineering experience, putting all those years of training to good use and deduced the cause of the problem.

See attached pic, whats missing  :232: :232: :232: :157: :157: :232: :192:
Everyday is a school day

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • CBF1000 Administrator
« Reply #12 on: 14 June, 2019, 09:56:24 AM »
 :138:

Oh well..... at least it's running now which is the main thing. Guess we've all been there with something similar at some poiunt or another  :001: :001:

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #13 on: 14 June, 2019, 10:21:32 AM »
Good news.

Checking spark plug caps and ignition coil connections would have been my next port of call.

Offline MexiCan

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A(2012)
  • City / Town: Toronto
« Reply #14 on: 07 September, 2019, 03:52:18 PM »
Pardon my ignorance but, what is the module that appears unplugged in the picture?
I had a similar problem a few years back while in the middle of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Honda had no idea what it was (folks not too familiar with this kind of bike on this side of the pond). A racing guru looked at it and determined that the wiring harness was loose and he simply reconnected it properly (after a couple of thousand dollars in spark plug and battery changes as well as time spent waiting for repairs in the US and transportation costs for the bike back home). I have had no problems since. Honda could only determine that 2 cylinders were not working and suggested I needed a new engine!
Live like you'd like to be remembered. "Live like you were dying"

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #15 on: 07 September, 2019, 04:01:24 PM »
That's the ignition coil for cylinders #1 and #4, there's another on the left side for cylinders #2 and #3.
« Last Edit: 07 September, 2019, 04:03:09 PM by Art »

Offline MexiCan

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A(2012)
  • City / Town: Toronto
« Reply #16 on: 07 September, 2019, 05:22:04 PM »
Thank you Art.
Since I have no clue as to the whereabouts of the wiring harness connector, I wonder if this coil was the actual culprit. Strange that the main issue with my bike was exactly as described in this post.
Live like you'd like to be remembered. "Live like you were dying"

diverse-leafy