Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Starter motor not got enough umph to start  (Read 725 times)

Offline catford lad

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Honda cbf1000A6
  • City / Town: London
Re: Starter motor not got enough umph to start
« Reply #10 on: 11 September, 2019, 04:16:45 PM »
Hi, just read this and I have the exact same issue. I'm pretty sure it's not the battery as it has a new one, and has also been started off a heavy duty starter pack. The battery checks out when static, under tension (ie cranking the engine on the button), and when running.
I'm going to check out the starter motor and maybe get a decent 2nd hand one to see if there is a difference. There are also starter motor brush kits available.
Would love to hear if you've foung a solutuon.

Offline VanquishedWombat

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000FA ABS
  • City / Town: Winchester
« Reply #11 on: 11 September, 2019, 07:39:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by FLIZ [+]
Hello VanquishedWombat. Welcome to the forum. You have mentioned problems starting/turning over bike engine, also you have purchased from a dealer only two weeks ago. Take it back to the dealer, let him have a look, it should have some warranty on it. Good luck. Let us know how you get on.
                                                                                   :028:

Hi Fliz thanks for the welcome. When I said 'dealer' its not quite a commercial situation - the guy is a bike mechanic trading bikes as a hobby / second income. So I accepted that I was purchasing it as seen and we even discussed the state of the battery when the starter sounded a bit weak when I was looking at it. Overall I'm not feeling ripped off or sore over this.  If it were a store-fronted dealer I would be going back but this is a 'caveat emptor' situation from my perspective.

Offline VanquishedWombat

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000FA ABS
  • City / Town: Winchester
« Reply #12 on: 11 September, 2019, 07:54:30 PM »
I acquired a multi-meter and did some measurin', then got a new battery on order and a Sealey Smart 200HF charger. Battery turned up, and I wired in the permanent connectors for the Sealey at the same time as fitting new bat. Also purchased a Duracell jump starter power brick*.

New battery has banished the start-up blues. And new charger in use for battery conditioning.

I never measured the cranking voltage of the battery, but whilst running it reports 13.6 V so I assume the stator is healthy and I'm not running on battery juice alone.

Thanks to the poster of that 'how to check battery' video, very useful info.

VW

* Longer story is that whilst pondering the battery issue and not yet having decided to order a replacement, a sunny Sunday afternoon arrived and I took Mrs Wombat out for a ride to a nearby town. Very nice ride out and cuppa, but sadly followed by a cough and wheeze but no starting Biffer, then Mr W pushing bike down high street of said pretty English town whilst I tried a bump start it. Whilst recovering breath, well hers really, I took the time to explain that this was one of the joys of motorcycling, this not knowing if you are going to get home at any specific time, or ever, throwing yourself on the mercy of passers by etc. Just then another passing biker stopped, whipped out a jump starter and had us on our way in a moment - thank you Kieran! Seemed like a much less energetic process so decided to acquire one myself. Also to satisfy wife that she would not be needed for (much) more pushing in the future.  :001:

Offline FLIZ

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: North Yorkshire
« Reply #13 on: 11 September, 2019, 08:26:39 PM »
Hello VW.  Fair enough. I just didn’t want you to be spending your hard earned so soon after purchase if there was a warranty on your bike.

Sounds like you have got it sorted now. So enjoy it, and at least try to get the missus
back out on it with a promise of no more pushing needed.
                                                                                     :mfrlol:

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #14 on: 12 September, 2019, 03:09:50 AM »
Happy Days

When testing the stator (charging system) the workshop ball park figures here are >13.5v at 2,500 RPM's and <14.8v at 5,000 RPM's.

diverse-leafy