Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Portable battery charger  (Read 501 times)

Offline gibbet2

• Bike: Honda cbf 1000
  • City / Town: Belfast
Portable battery charger
« on: 05 June, 2019, 04:23:39 PM »
Is there anything on the market that allows you to charge your battery when out on the bike? As in a portable device that can hold an amount of power that can then be used when your away from home and bike won’t start. I love the bike but hate the fact that you never know when you stop for a break if the damn thing will start again to get you home. I have to hope and pray every time I go to press the start button that it will turn over & start. Takes the enjoyment away. If I have to try a few times or if I leave the ignition turned on for more than a few seconds the battery drains. Can anyone advise? Many thanks. Kevin (have had battery out & tested and it is fine so it’s not a dead or weak battery )

Offline moayling

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2015 MK 2 CBF
  • City / Town: Seaton. Devon.
Re: Portable battery charger
« Reply #1 on: 05 June, 2019, 06:29:41 PM »
There are small power packs available that will give you a start if your battery is flat. Have a look on ebay

Offline g5guzzi

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: cbf1000fa
  • City / Town: kirton lincs
« Reply #2 on: 05 June, 2019, 09:12:37 PM »

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk › Accessories & Tyres

Best mini jump starter packs 2019 | Auto Express

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • -
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
« Reply #3 on: 05 June, 2019, 10:41:53 PM »
Sounds like sir needs a replacement battery - they don't last forever.
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline pedro

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000 2008
  • City / Town: Cumbria
« Reply #4 on: 06 June, 2019, 12:39:11 AM »
gibbet2 - I think you are looking to treat the symptoms rather than the disease. The ability to charge a battery away from home can be useful, if you really wished to carry such a thing around every time you go out on the bike. They are pretty compact - for a car user, perhaps not so much for carrying on a bike. But the thing to do is discover why the battery drains so quickly. As jm2 says, could well be the battery giving out. Could be the bike isn't charging too (not unknown on CBF1000s).
« Last Edit: 06 June, 2019, 12:43:27 AM by pedro »

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #5 on: 06 June, 2019, 09:48:56 AM »
As above some proper testing of the charging circuit required here, start off with

Battery resting voltage >12.4v - if less fully charge battery (battery Ah x charger A + 10% = hours required to fully charge.
Charging voltage between 13.2v and 14.2v if less test stator, if more test regulator.
Standby current drain < 35mA (0.035A) - if more isolate circuits one at a time to pin down the drain.
Battery load test >9.4v - if less suspect battery.

Offline gibbet2

• Bike: Honda cbf 1000
  • City / Town: Belfast
« Reply #6 on: 06 June, 2019, 12:23:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by jm2 [+]
Sounds like sir needs a replacement battery - they don't last forever.
i have only bought the bike a few months ago, it has a full service history which shows battery last replaced in December 2014, and the bike has only done about 3000 miles since then. battery was YTZ10S. could it need replaced? in march 2015 the regulator/rectifier was replaced and the coils were rewound (does that mean the stator was replaced, or just repaired?) the bike has not been used much in the last 4 or 5 years, the guy only took it out to get it passed mot each year.

Offline moayling

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2015 MK 2 CBF
  • City / Town: Seaton. Devon.
« Reply #7 on: 06 June, 2019, 02:47:44 PM »
Your battery is now 4.5 years old and given the bikes history of lack of use l would consider a new one

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #8 on: 06 June, 2019, 04:42:21 PM »
Batteries sitting idle tend to deteriorate quicker than if they were regularly discharged and charged through the process of riding. A replacement may seem a logical conclusion here, proper testing will prove it one way or another before you throw your hard earned at it.

Offline ramiller

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Mk1 CBF1000
  • City / Town: WAKEFIELD
« Reply #9 on: 06 June, 2019, 09:19:40 PM »
Don’t waste your money on back up battery packs, just buy a new battery, from what you have said the it sounds like the battery.

Bob m