Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Anyone fitted LED headlights  (Read 2603 times)

Offline spinspin

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Peterborough
Re: Anyone fitted LED headlights
« Reply #10 on: 10 June, 2020, 09:51:57 PM »
I was thinking about the beam pattern after I installed them and in the garage I couldn't get a good enough idea. The collars these fit in to have about 20 notches that the bulb can be positioned in giving about a 120° of movement, after shining it down the street I found that I had to take it back 2 or 3 notches to get the best pattern, left because the LED's are on the sides the change is noticeable as you twist. MOT is due in August so I guess i'll see then. Will perhaps being along the old bulbs on this one just in case.

All the LED's I bought I found to be plenty bright enough and certainly as bright or brighter than the bulbs I replaced, as I said the only thing I'm slightly disappointed by is how amber the indicators are. Looks like a decent supplier though  :002:

Online Philby21

• Bike: CBF1000-8
  • City / Town: Flint
« Reply #11 on: 25 July, 2020, 05:07:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by spinspin [+]
I was thinking about the beam pattern after I installed them and in the garage I couldn't get a good enough idea. The collars these fit in to have about 20 notches that the bulb can be positioned in giving about a 120° of movement, after shining it down the street I found that I had to take it back 2 or 3 notches to get the best pattern, left because the LED's are on the sides the change is noticeable as you twist. MOT is due in August so I guess i'll see then. Will perhaps being along the old bulbs on this one just in case.

All the LED's I bought I found to be plenty bright enough and certainly as bright or brighter than the bulbs I replaced, as I said the only thing I'm slightly disappointed by is how amber the indicators are. Looks like a decent supplier though  :002:

Hi there Spinspin,

Recently picked up a CBF and found your comments while looking into "upgrades" - I'd be very interested in hearing how you get on with your MOT with these LEDs.  Seriously considering this after everything I've been reading about the standard headlights.

Otherwise my other option is to speak very nicely to my MOT tester (I do know him, thankfully) and seeing if he'll give me a hand in setting them up to make sure the beam patterns are spot on.

Cheers,

Phil

Offline spinspin

• CBF Member
« Reply #12 on: 27 July, 2020, 06:02:57 PM »
Hi Philby, my MOT is due in late August so give me a few more weeks and I'll post up as to how it went.
As far as I've been able to test and see the headlight pattern is good but as has been mentioned in various posts in this forum MOT testers have sometimes seen differently.

In terms of light output, I've managed to have a few rides out after dark now and I would say they are a significant improvement over the standard bulbs, both in terms of light output, a more distinct pattern & I personally prefer the clarity of the cold white light.

Online Philby21

« Reply #13 on: 27 July, 2020, 09:15:03 PM »
Hi Philby, my MOT is due in late August so give me a few more weeks and I'll post up as to how it went.
As far as I've been able to test and see the headlight pattern is good but as has been mentioned in various posts in this forum MOT testers have sometimes seen differently.

In terms of light output, I've managed to have a few rides out after dark now and I would say they are a significant improvement over the standard bulbs, both in terms of light output, a more distinct pattern & I personally prefer the clarity of the cold white light.

Thanks for the update, other bikes I've had in the past haven't had great headlights apart from my Fireblade, riding that two up has me getting flashed by oncoming cars.  The normal headlight on the 929 is still a single H7 but with a huge reflector that really makes an impact, and then the 2 x H7s as main beam tend to make other's realise I'm not driving with it on!

I'll keep an eye out for your update but I'm definitely liking what you're saying about the improvement, nothing like seeing and being seen!

Cheers,

Phil

Offline spinspin

• CBF Member
« Reply #14 on: 16 August, 2020, 10:30:35 AM »
Had my MOT yesterday at AB motors in Peterborough, was chatting to the tester who was saying it's HID upgrades that seem to cause him problems but LED is normally fine. Only minor issue I had was that the beam was a few mm too high so had to lower it. Will definitely be keeping these in now.

Online Philby21

« Reply #15 on: 16 August, 2020, 09:07:02 PM »
Had my MOT yesterday at AB motors in Peterborough, was chatting to the tester who was saying it's HID upgrades that seem to cause him problems but LED is normally fine. Only minor issue I had was that the beam was a few mm too high so had to lower it. Will definitely be keeping these in now.

Thanks for the update, that's awesome news, seems I'll be dipping into the bank balance again very soon!  :028:

diverse-leafy