Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Wiring in satnav - Tomtom Rider 50  (Read 369 times)

Offline NJD

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000A 06
Re: Wiring in satnav - Tomtom Rider 50
« Reply #10 on: 11 June, 2020, 04:16:22 PM »
Sorted, for now.

Tried using the battery negative and the female positive bullet connector on the front brake like switch at first, but that didn't work. Was going to tap into the rear license plate light using a splice but got half way to dismantling things when I realised I could try using the ground male bullet connector from the horn (see above) that was left exposed on removing the O.E.M heated grips combined with the female bullet connector on the front brake light switch (always had a feeling it was one complete circuit).

The result was power when the ignition was turned on (engine not running) and no power when the ignition was turned off.

Battery at 13.8 something volts when running, and 12. something when not. Perfectly healthy for now. All circuits work fine (forgot to try horn).

Cut off and added a new connector on the horn side as the old one had been exposed to road crud for a while, and then wrapped all the wire I had to remove the rubber cover from to add a little bit of protection against the weather. Heat shrink would have been better, but what works works. I really wasn't going for a professional install here.

Routed under the R/H side fairing (literally just fed it through) and tided up the bottom end with cable ties to avoid it dangling.

There's an awful lot of excess wire that connects to the TomTom charger dock itself, and for now I've just cable tied it to existing wiring because I'm still waiting for my Migsel mount so I can a "final install" and test run.

I may cut it down when I get the Migsel mount delivered because then I'll know how much length I actually need. Expose the wire and then add a bullet connector to either side (positive / negative) to complete the circuit and wrap it in some tape.

edit: I am going to have to think of something to do with the exposed connector that plugs into the TomTom dock connector, though, because I don't plan to leave the dock on the bike (pre-planned days of using the sat-nav). May just keep unwrapping and rapping it with the same electrical tape until it needs replacing and so on and so forth. A rubber cap that would plug into it to protect it would be nice.

« Last Edit: 11 June, 2020, 04:18:55 PM by NJD »

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #11 on: 11 June, 2020, 04:57:52 PM »
I leave my dock on 24/7, its never been off since I fitted it 3 years ago. It attaches to the handlebar with the Rider anti-theft solution by means of a U bolt which means that the ram mount, anti-theft gizmo and TomTom can all be removed as one with an 11 mm spanner. Not perfect but my intention was to stop any opportunist thieves from grabbing the TomTom while I sat at the traffic lights or when topping up with go go juice. The positioning means I can see the whole dash except the fuel gauge.

edit: Obviously if I'm leaving the bike unattended other than the likes of paying for fuel or popping into a shop I remove the TomTom Rider but the dock and mount stays put.
« Last Edit: 11 June, 2020, 05:00:55 PM by Art »

Offline NJD

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000A 06
« Reply #12 on: 11 June, 2020, 05:20:47 PM »
I went with the 50 (not a typo) over the 550 premium package because of price (£249 versus £398 - SportsBikeShop) so didn't get the anti-theft device, but do realise you can buy it for a little extra.

I'll see how I get on with the Migsel mount when it arrives, but the set-up you use does look like it would be easier with the way I've cable tied the excess wiring at the moment. Just like the look of having the sat-nav between the clocks and screen, but will see how useable it is when the bracket arrives. I would go for a ride with a set-up like yours before the bracket arrives but weather at the moment is questionable so can wait.

Most of my rides are commuting, and I wouldn't want to leave any more on the bike than I have to while it sits parked up for long hours of the day. Probably only get used a handful of times a year so the constant fiddling shouldn't much bother me.

I'll try a variation of things and see what works best as I go along. Many thanks for the diagrams and assistance. Glad I got it sorted (famous last words) without needing the assistance of a shop robbing my wallet.  :028: