Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Anyone fitted LED headlights  (Read 951 times)

Offline Ianrobbo1

• CBF Pro
  • Scuba divers do it with masks on!!
  • Bike: bird + CBF1000
  • City / Town: Wakefield
Anyone fitted LED headlights
« on: 27 May, 2019, 02:12:54 PM »
I was wondering if anyone had fitted LED headlights, and what they did about fastening them in the right place, with the huge heat sink and the small spring that you cant fasten because of the heat sink, :003: I've heard various stories about cutting lumps of plastic up to make things fit, but without pretty pictures I'm at a loss to know what to do, has anyone got a "how to" or the pretty pictures that will explain in a simpletons way "me "how it's done please.
A newbie to the Biffer, owned a Bird for 19 years, and looking forward to long term ownership of my CBF!!

Offline Scarberian

• Bike: 2012 CBF1000FA
  • City / Town: Toronto
Re: Anyone fitted LED headlights
« Reply #1 on: 30 May, 2019, 03:10:51 AM »
I just installed these last week:

https://www.banggood.com/2Pcs-H7-55W-26000LM-6000K-Car-LED-Headlights-Bulb-White-Fog-Lamp-IP68-Waterproof-p-1381474.html?rmmds=myorder&cur_warehouse=CN

They are not any longer than a standard H7 bulb, and I had no trouble fitting them into the socket. Are they any better? I have not ridden after dark yet, so I cannot say. I will say that they were not expensive, but took forever to arrive (>2 months). That's the trouble when shipping from China by mail, I guess. As long as you're not in a hurry, there's very little risk ordering these.

Offline raYzerman

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: FJR1300A CBF1000
  • City / Town: Millgrove, ON
« Reply #2 on: 08 July, 2019, 01:27:09 PM »
H7's are simple for beam pattern, so most LED's will work.  I use the F2 brand, installed a set yesterday...... The main unit separates from the  mounting plate, so take it apart, install the mounting plate and clip it in with the wire bail.  Next install the main bulb unit..... I slit the rubber caps right across the middle, as the cooling fans need to breathe.... after install pulled the OEM wire and the bulb unit wire out through the slit, then tucked the rubber in around the heat sink.  Sorry, no pics.  Then I connected the driver unit and zip tied the wires so it would sit all neat and tidy.  Works great.
If you're converting an H4/9003 bulb, get the F2's they are one of the latest where the "filaments" most replicate an actual H4 bulb and have the shields to prevent stray light... mostly to give you a proper beam cut-off on low beam.  They can be rotated if necessary if you want an angled beam like most Euro countries, either left or right hand drive.
These are the ones I installed, be sure to specify which type you want H7, H4, etc.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/H7-F2-LED-Headlight-72W-12000LM-Cree-Chips-White-6000K-Driving-Fog-Bulb-Lamps/143055111788?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Offline Kamboskid

• CBF Member
  • Bike: cbf1000 2007
  • City / Town: Chios, Greece
« Reply #3 on: 11 October, 2019, 02:02:03 PM »

I had LED bulbs fited by a local mechanic, makes a difference with the whole brightness thing. Now looking for some crash bars for the front to hang extra lights on, I understand that Honda does not make one for this model, does anyone have knowledge regarding alternatives that will fit?

thanks in advance!

Offline NJD

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A 06
« Reply #4 on: 11 October, 2019, 04:37:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by Kamboskid [+]
alternatives that will fit?

I use these on my MK1 CBF1000.

Warnings: the front engine mounts, as I recently discovered, are very easy to round off and damage the threads. 12 mm at a thread pitch of 1.25 if you end up having to get a helicoil or thread repair kit. People say they've had to use plusgas etc to get the bolt out in the first place but I must have been lucky since mine came out without issue. Make sure you've got the big metal round spacers inbetween the engine and black frame to take up the vibration and stop the engine moving around.

I installed mine on the front engine mount, tightned the bit between the exhausts (they fit via a connecting piece inbetween the downpipes and engine and used an angle grinder to cut the end of the engine bars off so I didn't have to mount them via the lower engine mount (by the footpegs at the bottom of the bike) just because attempting to undone them, and fit them like that, screams of a world of hurt. I can almost gurantee that my lower engine mounts having been out since being fitted and I do not want to be the one to undo them for such a simple job... so I bodged it to save time and damage.

As above with the front engine mounts the threads can be easily damaged so don't torque them up. I tried recently, after I'd forgot during the install a while ago, and rounded one of them of. Just use a 3/8 ratchet and go by hand until it feels tight and then come back to them if they loosen (use a marker on the head of the bolt / frame to identify if it moves).

Bars look different to what's in the picture but come with all the fittings. Maybe wait until eBay do a discount code as M&P are usually on their 10% listings etc.

Just to give you a visual (the bit where the coolant system drain bolt is where I cut it off, and filed it down):

Offline Tumaca

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Cbf1000f
« Reply #5 on: 11 October, 2019, 07:51:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by Scarberian [+]
I just installed these last week:

https://www.banggood.com/2Pcs-H7-55W-26000LM-6000K-Car-LED-Headlights-Bulb-White-Fog-Lamp-IP68-Waterproof-p-1381474.html?rmmds=myorder&cur_warehouse=CN

They are not any longer than a standard H7 bulb, and I had no trouble fitting them into the socket. Are they any better? I have not ridden after dark yet, so I cannot say. I will say that they were not expensive, but took forever to arrive (>2 months). That's the trouble when shipping from China by mail, I guess. As long as you're not in a hurry, there's very little risk ordering these.

After some months... Do you recommend the change?

Offline Kamboskid

• CBF Member
  • Bike: cbf1000 2007
  • City / Town: Chios, Greece
« Reply #6 on: 12 October, 2019, 03:16:52 PM »
Thanks for the prompt reply regarding your assembly for front lights, I am trying the idea out , will let you know how I get on with pics later!

diverse-leafy