Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Who Has Had Theirs The Longest?  (Read 1628 times)

Offline badapple

• CBF Legend
Who Has Had Theirs The Longest?
« on: 19 May, 2019, 10:01:32 AM »
I have not been hear for years, only a very occasional brows through the threads. Its strange how little and at the same time how much things have changed.

My Biffer has just had its 13th birthday, bought new in 2006. It still looks great and runs great and has had very very little go wrong with it over the years. At its MOT a few days ago the tester commented on how good it was. I don't know if I have stood the test of time as well.

I was wondering if anyone else has had their bike as long as this? Can I say Im a record holder?

Offline Silverdart

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000-A
  • City / Town: Kitchener ON
Re: Who Has Had Theirs The Longest?
« Reply #1 on: 19 May, 2019, 02:54:50 PM »
That's pretty good!

Mine's a 2009 I bought in 2010 and have had it since then. Just under 50,000 km's, one new stator and new fork tubes but otherwise it's entirely original.
Old enough to have seen it all, heard it all, done it all. Just can't remember it all.

Offline Longside

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF 1000 2009
  • City / Town: Accrington
« Reply #2 on: 19 May, 2019, 08:46:49 PM »
Hi badapple, good to know that your bike still looks and rides great after 13 years. Obviously you have looked after it.

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #3 on: 19 May, 2019, 08:55:10 PM »
7 years this year (MK2), never a problem. Tyres and servicing my only expenses.

Touring in Spain at the moment.  :028:

Offline pedro

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000 2008
  • City / Town: Cumbria
« Reply #4 on: 20 May, 2019, 01:24:56 AM »
Had my 2008 Mk1GT since 2009. So just passed the decade mark. Not as long as some, though. It's had a few busy years, but it's also had some years where it's hardly turned a wheel. But it's having a bit of an Indian Summer at the moment and getting a fair few miles under it's belt. Apart from batteries and the usual consumables, it hasn't needed anything.

Have I looked at other things? Well one does tend to have the occasional run out to dealers on occasions. But, really, unless I wanted to (and could) spend around £15k on something, there's really nothing to beat it. So on it goes.

Offline Piper

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: NW Kent
« Reply #5 on: 20 May, 2019, 10:40:18 AM »
Bought mine new in May 2008. Had a water pump leak in first few weeks, fixed under warranty. Stator burned out after about 20,000 miles. Fixed it myself as just out of 7 year warranty. Bought it mainly for touring as still had a smaller bike for commuting. Only have the CBF1000 now as I'm retired. Bike runs great and always service it myself. Only a fair weather rider these days (unless caught out). Excellent machine and intend to keep, tried others but considering my use the CBF is still the best for me.  Would like to buy a classic just to have something to tinker with :008:. Would like to use it more but only usually manage a weekly trip out in the warmer months. Did lots of European tours with it in the early years mainly down to the Alps and around, it makes a great distance tourer.   

Offline Steelworker

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: 2009 1000ABS
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #6 on: 20 May, 2019, 10:51:45 AM »
After riding Kawasaki fours for thirty years, I bought my MK1 in 2009 new with the Honda hard luggage package as part of the deal as a lot of my biking is rallying so I need to be able to pack lots of camping gear. This is such a good bike I can't see anything else capable of replacing it.
Went to the MCN festival at Peterborough this weekend and was not impressed with any of the main manufacturer offerings.
Apart from a stator replace under extended warranty four years ago,no problems since.
An easy bike to service and ride,either London traffic or long distance. I think I'll have this for some years to come.

Offline badapple

• CBF Legend
« Reply #7 on: 22 May, 2019, 09:35:20 AM »
Well Im going to claim the record then, till someone steals it from me. Been having a good look around and there are few if any of the original forum members still here, not surprising really. Its good to see the forum is still a friendly helpful place.

My circumstances are very like Piper's, retired and my bike is purely my toy now and use it only when the mood takes me. Like others I have had a few sorties around dealers to see if anything tempts me but nothing ever has. Now a classic to tinker with, yes I could do that.

The bikes first service is the only time it has been in a garage, the rest I have done myself and for me thats an important part of owning a bike.  Nothing has broken or gone wrong, well other that the front brake light switch that fails to work every spring after being off the road but a quick soak in WD40 sorts it out. Oh and the rear light cluster broke around a screw hole, its all glued together and is a one piece unit now.

Not changed much of the bike at all, crash bobbins and Remus cans (bought as compensation after deciding not to replace bike). Thats about it, I'll stick around.
« Last Edit: 22 May, 2019, 09:36:32 AM by badapple »

Offline dbrewerton

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A8
  • City / Town: Calgary, AB
« Reply #8 on: 26 May, 2019, 01:55:49 AM »
Bought my 2008 in August 2009 so about to hit 10 years. It was the dealer demo, the third one sold in Calgary and they'd just been brought to Canada.

Offline Serendipity

• Bike: 2007 CBF1000-ABS
  • City / Town: High Wycombe
« Reply #9 on: 26 June, 2019, 01:27:19 PM »
Iím way behind most of you lot. I got my 2007 ABS Mk1 in 2012 so just over to 7 years.

However daily commuting has piled on the miles. Bought with 20k on the clock and now just coming up to 104,000 miles.

The stator failed at 36k and was replaced under extended warranty, then went again at 96k which I replaced myself. However, I made the mistake of continuing to use the bike while waiting for the new stator to turn up. Topping up the battery overnight gave me a day of riding. That didnít seem so clever after I blew out the valve cover gasket when arcs from the failing stator ignited engine gases. It took ages to strip everything down to remove the cover and re-seat the gasket.

Other than that just a couple of bulbs have blown and Iíve gone through two chains (Scottoiler helped prolong their life) and quite a few pairs of Pilot Roads. Rebuilt and repainted forks myself. Oh and a new cam chain tensioner at 94k as the old one was allowing rattles.

I normally give the CBF a break in the warmest bit of the summer and ride my old CB500 which is loads cooler in hot city traffic, but the recent ultra low emissions zone has stopped that. Iím not paying £12.50 per day so currently boiling my spuds on the biffer.
2007 CBF1000-ABS - Commuter heaven
1995 CB500R - The dirty backup hack
1994 CBR600FR - Still running... just