Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Who Has Had Theirs The Longest?  (Read 941 times)

Offline Piper

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: NW Kent
Re: Who Has Had Theirs The Longest?
« Reply #10 on: 27 June, 2019, 04:20:26 PM »
Hi Serendipity.
Behind in years owned but way ahead (of me at least in miles ridden). Out of interest have you ever checked and adjusted the tappets and did they replace the flywheel under warranty as well when the stator was replaced. Cheers Pete.

Offline Serendipity

• Bike: 2007 CBF1000-ABS
  • City / Town: High Wycombe
« Reply #11 on: 28 June, 2019, 11:36:26 AM »
Hi Pete

I've never done the clearances myself. Even when I had the valve cover off to re-seat the gasket I didn't bother to check them.

However they have been checked and adjusted at the 16k services. I do all the minor services myself, but throw it to Honda for the majors. The first 16k I put it in for there was apparently no need to change the shims. Then the next one the mechanic said he'd never seen a tighter gap on a CBF on one of the valves and even gave me the worn shim to prove it. My suspicion is that they weren't checked competently the first time. Then since then they've not required further adjustment.

I believe that Honda fitted the updated flywheel along with the stator, but I confess I didn't check. That was back in 2013, but they were already well aware of the problem and threads on this forum were discussing Honda fitting the updated parts for extended warranty cases. So hopefully they did.

Is there anything visibly different about the flywheels? I have a photo from when I fitted the Electrex stator last year.

All the best

Simon
2007 CBF1000-ABS - Commuter heaven
1995 CB500R - The dirty backup hack
1994 CBR600FR - Still running... just

Offline Piper

• CBF Master
« Reply #12 on: 29 June, 2019, 12:47:55 PM »
Thanks for that Simon.
I didn't check mine at 16000 miles as the general census on this forum seems to think its unnecessary, but you never know and a lot may depend on how you use the bike,  I'll definitely check mine myself before 32000 for peace of mind. Apart for the first service under warranty I always service and repair myself as I have little faith in garages. Good job the CBF has been so reliable apart from the stator of course. I assume when you ordered your stator from Electrex you told them the flywheel has been changed as I was told that the stator to fit the new flywheel is a different size to the original. When I ordered my replacement stator (failed at 20000 miles out of 7 year warranty) from Electrex they told me to check the internal and external diameter of the existing stator.
No idea what the new flywheel looks like so I'm afraid I don't know the differences between the two.
Cheers Pete.       

Offline bobbo123

• Bike: Honda CBF1000
  • City / Town: Todmorden
« Reply #13 on: 09 July, 2019, 07:14:07 PM »
Mine is a 2008 model purchased in 2010.....It has just clocked  up 67,600 miles.....it's had a new stator @ 35,000.... a  new rear wheel bearing..... and just recently a new radiator. She still runs fantastic.... :152:

Offline Piper

• CBF Master
« Reply #14 on: 09 July, 2019, 10:48:08 PM »
Hi Bobbo Your first stator lasted well.Was it the original and when you replaced it at 35000 miles was it done under the 7 year extend warranty including flywheel replacement as your second stator is doing well too. Most original seemed to have failed around the 20 to 25000 mile mark.  Regards. Pete.

Offline bobilovsky123

• CBF Pro
« Reply #15 on: 10 July, 2019, 09:03:27 AM »
Hi Piper.....It was the original and I had it done within the 7 year extended warranty cover..so I assume it was the new type they put in.
 :031:

Offline Piper

• CBF Master
« Reply #16 on: 10 July, 2019, 10:03:39 AM »
 :028: Thanks

diverse-leafy