Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Buying new maps for Tom Tom Sat Nav  (Read 228 times)

Offline Kentcolin

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Cbf1000GT
  • City / Town: Rochester
Buying new maps for Tom Tom Sat Nav
« on: 07 May, 2019, 09:06:12 AM »
I have a 2016 Cbf1000 GT which I bought new. It is one of the last and included all the extra kit including a Sat Nav which I've used for touring in Ireland, France,Germany and Austria.
    This year  going to  Northern Spain and Portugal and surprised to find when I was scrolling through the countries on my Sat Nav that Portugal and Spain are not on it.
   Has anyone successfully purchased mapping from Tom Tom and managed to download it onto their device?

Offline davidjg

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-C GT
  • City / Town: London
Re: Buying new maps for Tom Tom Sat Nav
« Reply #1 on: 07 May, 2019, 12:52:14 PM »
What has happened is that the TomTom complete Europe map is now too large a size for the internal memory of your TomTom Rider and they have split the map up into 3 or 4 zones ( North, East etc - all free of charge). The same has happened to mine. Plug your Rider into your PC and if there is European Map update click on it and it will tell the zones you can chose the zone  -pick the one you will need, you will only be able to chose one zone to download at a time because of their size. However  if you chose Southern zone and go to Northern Europe in the future, you will have to delete the Southern Zone from the Rider and install the North Zone by using the same process. You may also be able to get the zones by logging into your TomTom account. The UK maps should still be okay, you just have to go into the Rider menu and choose whether to use the UK or the downloaded Zone map (e.g. UK map to ferry, then change to South Zone when you are on  the ferry).

Offline davidjg

• CBF Member
« Reply #2 on: 07 May, 2019, 02:00:36 PM »
By the way you may also find that the clock and estimated time of arrival function no longer works on your RIder, due to GPS Week Number Roller (WNRO) that happened in early April, but everything else works. TomTom sent an email out saying that they were working on the problem.

Offline Kentcolin

• CBF Member
« Reply #3 on: 07 May, 2019, 03:29:38 PM »
Thanks very much David for your help, I hadn't realised they were free.

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #4 on: 07 May, 2019, 03:45:48 PM »
I’ve recently purchased a Rider 550 with World Maps.

Not all are loaded onto the unit. As Dave said, you should register with Tom Tom and all the maps are there for you to choose from (and they should be free). :028:

« Last Edit: 07 May, 2019, 03:46:42 PM by phild »

Offline davidjg

• CBF Member
« Reply #5 on: 07 May, 2019, 03:47:01 PM »
Yes, the maps are free for the lifetime of the device. The problem with the zoning of countries, is that before I could go anywhere, now if I want to go to say Croatia - I will need to have 2  zones and as you can only download one at a time to the Rider ( and only by PC) it will be a real problem. No wonder I keep getting emails from TomTom about upgrading my device to a newer one at a discount -possible marketing ploy.

Offline Kentcolin

• CBF Member
« Reply #6 on: 07 May, 2019, 04:09:46 PM »
I realised that the Tom Tom I got with  the bike perhaps wasn't  the most up to date model. Friends have newer ones with a sleeker and less clunky design. Even so it is very useful on the road and I have a Schuberth helmet with built in speakers and use a  Cardo Bluetooth. It's great to hear instructions as well as viewing the screen.   I will try downloading what I need off the Tom Tom website

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #7 on: 07 May, 2019, 04:17:57 PM »
550 is done via WiFi.

I’ve only got Europe loaded at the moment. This includes all Western Europe, Poland etc, The Balkans, Turkey and the whole of Russia.  :028: