Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Voltmeter Fitted.  (Read 355 times)

Offline Bigtwinthing

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF 1000 GT
Voltmeter Fitted.
« on: 10 May, 2019, 07:11:43 AM »
So just fitted a Voltmeter across the battery to check the Voltage and give me an indication etc, 14.1 volts at 6000 rpm last night, It seems good.When do I start worrying?

Regards Paul.

Offline J-man

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000A6
Re: Voltmeter Fitted.
« Reply #1 on: 11 May, 2019, 11:06:53 AM »
Looks fine to me.

I would worry if you could not get higher than 13 - 13.5 when it is at 6000 rpm it should be in charging/floating state.

Mind that when a battery is depleted of half depleted, then it takes some time to get to the charged/floating state. If I was idling a lot like when cueing then it needs some minutes of well driving to get above 14 volts again. But once you see it can reach 14 (or slightly above) now and then, then your charging system is oke imho.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #2 on: 11 May, 2019, 11:13:04 AM »
Assuming it wasn't a rhetorical question when...

Battery stand by voltage <12.4v indicating a possible battery fault, further testing required to confirm.
Charging voltage < battery stand by voltage indicating a possible stator fault, further testing required to confirm.
Charging voltage >15.5v. indicating a possible regulator fault, further testing required to confirm.

But I suspect you already knew that hence the fitment of a voltage wotsit
« Last Edit: 11 May, 2019, 12:13:43 PM by Art »

Offline Bigtwinthing

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF 1000 GT
« Reply #3 on: 12 May, 2019, 05:53:52 PM »
Hi

yes very aware of the issue but haven't had it on either CBF that I've had.

Next thing to fit is a charger for my phone. Ive bought a charger with a switch, so can isolate if req. Cam just cautious not to add too much to the Battery. So far it has Grips, Voltmeter and the trickle charger lead.. They are all fused to the correct rating mind.

Done 230 miles today and totally forgot how good these bikes are.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #4 on: 12 May, 2019, 06:24:34 PM »
I trust you have those grips and that voltage wotsit installed via a switched changeover relay? If not I'd recommended it regardless of whether or not any of those accessories have battery saving gizmo circuits. Having too many accessories drawing too much or unnecessary power is more an issue with the battery than the stator. Although since a drained battery puts a greater loading on the stator it too can become an issue.

As above best practice is to test for three voltage readings...

1) Battery voltage >12.4v
2) Charging voltage > battery voltage
3) Charging voltage < 15.5v