Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: First Impressions...  (Read 267 times)

Offline laverdabru

• Bike: ZX9RANF125others
  • City / Town: Worcs
First Impressions...
« on: 26 April, 2019, 06:51:56 PM »
Hi, thanks for all your welcome messages.  Thought I'd hopefully interest or amuse you with my impressions as a first time rider of the Biffa.
Came to my temporary use of it via a little old lady.  Who managed to hit the only vehicle parked in a 9 bay private car park, my immaculate '98 ZX-9R.  Coincidentally, years back, my other ZX-9R was hit & written off whilst stationary by a Lol - guess that goes with the territory if you live near Malvern!...That time my courtesy bike was a 1250 Fi Bandit.  Which I see there are a lot of comparisons to on site.
Anyway, once the insurance company had found my paperwork/emails ect, after a week, I was offered a CBF1000 as a 'courtesy bike'.  Did take a bit of explaining to the claims handling company that as sometimes I work away from home, my Innova 125 was not really a suitable bike for 200 mile trips.
So, someone turns up to drop off a 12k Mk 2 CBF & pick up the Ninja.  Now, as it was wheeled out I thought I'd been sent a trails/adventure bike by mistake.  Since I fitted clip ons & rear-sets to my Commando back in the early '80's I've favoured low bars.  The CBF seemed to be very tall.  Delivery matey didn't seem to know much about, didn't have a handbook.  But made the curious comment that 'Lots of people don't like getting a Honda, but have changed their minds when I call back to collect it'.
I don't keep up with 'modern' trends in bikes much, ABS, digital speedos & dashes have passed me by!

I live near Malvern, home of the Morgan.  Just off their 'unofficial' test route - often see their Aero 8's, S&S engined three wheelers or reworked customers cars being hooned round the local  A roads & country lanes.  So I fire up the bike & take it along the route. 
Once I've got used to the foot controls being several inches ahead of where I'm used to on the ZX.  When I put in into 1st a loud crack gets me looking around to see if any local farmers are out with their rifles shooting crows.  Nope, just going into first.  Change into 2nd aint much better, but fine into/down from higher gears.
Felt used to the riding position right away, & the ABS linked brake system got a workout when a pheasant decided to cross the road.

Have to say. after a few miles I feel right at home.  Infinitely better than the 1250 Fi Bandit, which I never gelled with even after several months.  Unlike the 1250, the CBF seemed to lose it's weight as it was moving, & did not feel top heavy.  Nothing against Bandits, I love my mate's early carbed 1200, & the 600 version - but didn't like the injected 1250.  Find the CBF much better to ride than the Bandit.

Since then, been using it a fair bit.  Much more relaxing to ride than the Ninja, it has to be said.  My wife likes it (looks like a proper bike), a little old lady outside outside the local supermarket commented the black finish reminded her of her Dad's Panther.
As I get older (60 this year) & have had health issues, been considering going the super scooter route.  Using the Biffa has made me rethink my options.
Previous bikes in order.  CZ175,Honda CB125S & J, Jawa 350, Kawa Z400 twin, Norton Commando 750 Combat Roadster, CB750-4, Suzuki GT & GSX250's, Honda 400N, Kawa Z-650, KH250, GPz900, ZX-9R, Laverda Mirage, another ZX-9R, Triumph Sprint 900, Innova 125.  Loads of other bikes ridden as ex RAC/ACU instructor/Courier.

Offline pedro

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000 2008
  • City / Town: Cumbria
Re: First Impressions...
« Reply #1 on: 26 April, 2019, 07:19:33 PM »
Super scooter? Perish the thought! Actually, never ridden one, so don't know what they're like. Do you have to put a trolley coin in them before they work?

I came to the Biffa from a supersports bike too, in my case a Blade. That was nearly 10 years ago!! You can ride it a lot further before your joints seize up!

Offline laverdabru

• Bike: ZX9RANF125others
  • City / Town: Worcs
Re: First Impressions...
« Reply #2 on: 26 April, 2019, 07:44:47 PM »
 :020:Well, not tried one yet, but have been using the little Innova for short term commuting.  There are a few locals with big bikes who use those Yamaha 500 T-Max's as their commuters/shopping trolleys.  Which is what I call the Innova...

Get what you mean about joints seizing up - recently did a couple of 200 mile+ trips on the Ninja 9 for work.  Knees & arms did not take kindly to it.  And that is on a bike that is meant to be a lot better (riding position) than the R1 or 'Blade.
Previous bikes in order.  CZ175,Honda CB125S & J, Jawa 350, Kawa Z400 twin, Norton Commando 750 Combat Roadster, CB750-4, Suzuki GT & GSX250's, Honda 400N, Kawa Z-650, KH250, GPz900, ZX-9R, Laverda Mirage, another ZX-9R, Triumph Sprint 900, Innova 125.  Loads of other bikes ridden as ex RAC/ACU instructor/Courier.