Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hi, from a (possibly temp) newbie.  (Read 649 times)

Offline laverdabru

• Bike: ZX9RANF125others
  • City / Town: Worcs
Hi, from a (possibly temp) newbie.
« on: 16 April, 2019, 06:23:00 PM »
Hi,
Tomorrow a newish CBF1000 arrives for my temporary use. courtesy of my insurance.  A dear little old lady managed to reverse into & knock over my 1998, totally original, owned for 18 years, ZX-9RC1.  In the private car park outside my abode.  I was on my way to work on the Innova at the time.
Did some research on the CBF & this site came up.  Apart from 6 months spent with a FI 1250 Bandit (which I did not like), & several years with one of the last of the carbed Innova's, I've little experience of 'modern' bikes.
So please excuse my ignorance -  From what I've read, the newish CBF has a detuned 'Blade motor & is fitted with a linked brake system like Blackbirds, & ABS.  This may be the ideal sort of bike to settle down with as I get older (60 this year, & I confess long trips on the Ninja lead to creaks in elbows & knees!)
Any riding tips or advice?  Does it prefer standard or super unleaded?

All the best

Laverdabru
Previous bikes in order.  CZ175,Honda CB125S & J, Jawa 350, Kawa Z400 twin, Norton Commando 750 Combat Roadster, CB750-4, Suzuki GT & GSX250's, Honda 400N, Kawa Z-650, KH250, GPz900, ZX-9R, Laverda Mirage, another ZX-9R, Triumph Sprint 900, Innova 125.  Loads of other bikes ridden as ex RAC/ACU instructor/Courier.

Offline Leofric

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: 2012CBF1000FA
  • City / Town: North Yorkshire
Re: Hi, from a (possibly temp) newbie.
« Reply #1 on: 16 April, 2019, 08:01:58 PM »
Standard unleaded petrol. It is a comfortable bike with handlebars widish and set up and back a bit. Seat can be set at 3 different heights.  Just exchanged my mk2 for a newish CB650F which is a bit lighter but the CBF1000FA is a good all round bike.

Offline laverdabru

« Reply #2 on: 16 April, 2019, 08:33:51 PM »
Ta for that - didn't know about the seat being adjustable.  Also useful to know that it'll be OK on standard unleaded - the ANF doesn't like it at all, especially in cold weather, although the ZX doesn't mind.
Since changing the high & wide Roadster bars on my Commando to clip ons in the early '80's, I've usually gone for flat/cafe racer ones -but I think age (60 this year) is catching up with my elbows & knees nowadays.  So. be interesting to see how I get on with wide bars again.

Previous bikes in order.  CZ175,Honda CB125S & J, Jawa 350, Kawa Z400 twin, Norton Commando 750 Combat Roadster, CB750-4, Suzuki GT & GSX250's, Honda 400N, Kawa Z-650, KH250, GPz900, ZX-9R, Laverda Mirage, another ZX-9R, Triumph Sprint 900, Innova 125.  Loads of other bikes ridden as ex RAC/ACU instructor/Courier.

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #3 on: 17 April, 2019, 08:24:02 AM »
Youíre in the same age bracket as me...... :003:

Iíve had my MK2 from new in 2012. 2000 miles plus in Europe each May, no issues, bit of numb bum if we donít stop often enough, but thatís about it.  :028:

Offline P Dubya

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000
  • City / Town: Sheffield
« Reply #4 on: 17 April, 2019, 01:02:33 PM »
Hi, you really cant go wrong with a Biffa. Iíve been using mine all year round since i got it in 2014.  I had no experience of big bikes, so did a lot of research before settling on the biffa? Coming across this forum sealed the deal.  I could feel the love owners have for this bike jumping out of my pad.. More than any other forum or publication i visited. Iíve done long trips with my 6ft+, 16 stone son on the back and the biffa didnt even notice. It still makes me smile  :002:
Enjoy The Ride!!!

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #5 on: 17 April, 2019, 07:03:47 PM »
I had a MK1 for 7 years. It was the best 'allrounder' I've ever had - and that goes back over 60 years of bikes including a Vincent Rapide and several Velocettes. Sadly as I am now in my 80s I've dropped a size, but feel very lucky still to be riding! I 'sold' my Biffer to my son three years ago...I'm still waiting! He has a 'tuned'!! Blackbird, (it was an under cover police bike) but prefers MY bike for everything he does, even if he calls it his moped. It's only weakness is the rotor. Mine on over 40,000 miles is still going strong while at least one member seems to change his every weekend. On a tour through Europe and the Balkans I took a spare and one of the three Biffers on the tour 'stopped'. It was a roadside job to change the rotor, so not hard, especially if you have run old British bikes!

This is a great site and I'm sure you'll enjoy the crack.
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift....

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #6 on: 17 April, 2019, 07:12:02 PM »
PS For 'Rotor', read 'Stator'!
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift....

Offline laverdabru

« Reply #7 on: 17 April, 2019, 08:07:20 PM »
Hi, thanks for all the replies.  And a very useful site - I was going to ask questions re seat adjustment/resetting the pesky digital clocks, but it's all here.
The hire/insurance CBF1000 arrived this am, lost little time in taking it for a run along fast A roads with twisty bits, some town work, & a B road return.  Living near Malvern, it's basically the 'Morgan' cars test route.
Anyway, really enjoyed the 'biffa' - where did it get that name, Biffa Bacon from Viz?'
Will post on the main site re my impressions,
again, thanks for a great site

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #8 on: 17 April, 2019, 09:39:26 PM »
Good ride to Abergavenny from your area.  :028:

diverse-leafy