Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Considering a biffa  (Read 1363 times)

Offline hairymonster

• Bike: BMW R1100RS
  • City / Town: Swindon
Considering a biffa
« on: 14 April, 2019, 04:49:00 PM »
Hello everyone,

I'm considering a biffa and I have a few questions:

1. I know the differences between the mk1 and the mk2 - aside from the lights, instruments & fairing, is one definitely worth having over the other?

2. I'm 6ft 2 and I like a fairly upright position. I haven't ridden a biffa, but it seems quite small to me. I had a CB1300S in the past and that was lovely, except I had a bit more weight on my wrists than I would have liked. I have shorter legs (31 inch inseam) and a longer body, though getting feet flat down is never a problem as my 18 stone muscular bulk compresses any suspension known to mankind. Will book a test ride locally in the next week or so.

3. The CB1300 was plenty quick enough, though never had that "***k me this is quick" moment as I did on a mate's Blackbird, which almost drove me to lose control of my sphincter. How does the Biffa compare to the CB13 in terms of acceleration/grunt?

4. I saw the comments about the stator - are there any model years to avoid?

All contributions most gratefully recieved

Hugs

HM
« Last Edit: 14 April, 2019, 04:50:21 PM by hairymonster »

Offline alan sh

• Article Editor
  • CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000/CB1300
  • City / Town: Rochdale
Re: Considering a biffa
« Reply #1 on: 14 April, 2019, 05:06:53 PM »
1. I've had both and the MK2 is better (see also 4).
2. The CBF has 3 seating positions. You should be fine on the tallest one.
3. I've got a CB1300 as well and that definitely has more get up & go. The CBF is for reasonable acceleration (it's still pretty decent) and long distance comfort.
4. The MK2 does not have that issue. All MK1's may have it (unless it's had the Honda stator and rotor replaced under warranty).

Does that help?

Alan
Red MK II with full luggage, MRA screen, hugger, crash bungs, heated grips and Autocom.
CB1300SA with a few bits.
https://ourbikingholidays.wordpress.com/
https://mybikinghistory.wordpress.com/

Offline hairymonster

« Reply #2 on: 14 April, 2019, 05:22:12 PM »
Yes it does help -  thanks.

For long-distance comfort, would you find the biffa better than a CB1300S? the CB13 gave me a numb bum after about 100 miles.

Offline alan sh

• Article Editor
  • CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000/CB1300
  • City / Town: Rochdale
« Reply #3 on: 14 April, 2019, 07:26:06 PM »
Yes, but I find both reasonably comfy.

Alan
Red MK II with full luggage, MRA screen, hugger, crash bungs, heated grips and Autocom.
CB1300SA with a few bits.
https://ourbikingholidays.wordpress.com/
https://mybikinghistory.wordpress.com/

Offline Bluefox

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Cbf1000
  • City / Town: Leicestershire
« Reply #4 on: 14 April, 2019, 09:51:30 PM »
Air hawk cruiser cushion medium was the best £100 I ever spent,ride all day with on discomfort

Offline hairymonster

« Reply #5 on: 14 April, 2019, 10:50:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bluefox [+]
Air hawk cruiser cushion medium was the best £100 I ever spent,ride all day with on discomfort
Does that sit on top of the seat or is the seat re-covered with this inside?

Offline pedro

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000 2008
  • City / Town: Cumbria
« Reply #6 on: 15 April, 2019, 02:16:23 AM »
I can only really speak for Mk1's. But I'd second alan sh's comments.

I'm 6' tall and a few stone heavier than you. I've got around a 31" leg and height isn't any problem. You'll find it comfy for pretty long journeys and the riding position puts minimal strain on the hands/wrists, even tootling along in town. Acceleration is best described as zippy. Blowing off cars with ease and able to stick with sportier bikes (up to a point). It's no fireblade but it's power is in the rage you'll find most useful on real roads. I guess the CB1300 will be off the mark quicker, but the CBF will be easier on the rider at speed. The stator might be a worry but by all accounts, it doesn't seem to affect all Mk1s and even if it does go, financially it isn't the end of the world. It's a luck thing more than anything. But to put it in perspective, all bikes have their faults and this is no better or worse a fault than you'll find in other bikes.

Being a taller chap, one thing that might come into play is wind buffeting. The screen has two positions, one of which might do it for you. The higher one does for me, but if not, a search on here will give you knowledge to sort that should it prove problematic.

The Mk2 is the bike that sorts out the Mk1 foibles and the one to get. But if the piggy bank dictates, a Mk1 is still an excellent bike.

Offline Bluefox

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Cbf1000
  • City / Town: Leicestershire
« Reply #7 on: 15 April, 2019, 07:35:41 AM »
It sit.. on top of the seat and straps on underneath,a very easy job.The medium is the perfect size for a biffer,then it's just a case of adjusting the right of air in it to suit you.Superb bit of kit that does exactly as it says on the tin.

Offline hairymonster

« Reply #8 on: 15 April, 2019, 08:51:10 AM »
Thanks Pedro for the input - sounds like we're of a similar muscular physique!

Bluefox - thanks for the input about the seat. I used to ride a BMW R1150GS and a few people on that forum were lifelong fans of the Airhawk, though the most popular were Sargent and Corbin seats. There was also a Touratwat seat which I tried which wasn't any good at all.

Alansh - thanks for input.

The CBF ticks a lot of boxes, though I can't help feeling it's a bit prosaic. I really want to open the garage door and think 'wow, that looks good' and the Biffa does look rather ordinary and sensible!

I used to have a Triumph 900 Sprint which I loved, because it looked horny and even on standard pipes, that triple cylinder howl was something to behold. Great bike, but the newest one is about 22 years old now, and I don't like carbed bikes - the Triumph NEVER ran right because someone had removed the wadding in the frame tubes which fed air to the carbs. Great above 6000rpm but between 5000 and 6000 felt like it was running out of petrol.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #9 on: 15 April, 2019, 12:22:07 PM »
For my two penneth

Never owned or ridden a MKII so my comments relate to the MKI or SC58 as Honda prefer to call it.

Comfort - The upright riding position keeps you off your wrists. I found the stock seat comfortable enough to do a 19 hours in the saddle RBLR 1000 ride. If you do find it needs a little extra something there's plenty of companies like 'Viking Motorcycle Seats' that offer a while you wait service to modify the seat just how you want it and when they've finished it'll look how a seat should look and set you back less hard earned then an airhawk win, win.

Acceleration - its a sports tourer so its never going to win a traffic light Grand Prix. I've found the acceleration to be more than satisfactory to the point where I'm thinking of a 41 tooth rear sprocket to improve on that 50+ mpg.

The MKI stator issue - I'd ignore it. It seems as if no sooner someone mentions anything electrical someone else is willing to needlessly cry out replace the stator. Its nowhere near the problem its blown up to be. It took mine 10 years to fail and then it was easy to diagnose, available off the shelf, inexpensive (<£100.00) to replace and simple to fit.

I'd not hesitate on another MKI but fail to see any real need to replace this one in the foreseeable future.