Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Molten-Core, that's me  (Read 793 times)

Offline Molten-Core

• Bike: CBF1000FA 2011
  • City / Town: Brussels
Re: Molten-Core, that's me
« Reply #10 on: 25 March, 2019, 03:36:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by iNCORRIGIBLE [+]
Hi,M-C. Noticed a lot of main drive chain noise when I got my 2009 recently so adjusted tension which caused some improvement.Only got an acceptable level of noise when I found that the joining link had been very poorly fitted and was causing  improper tensioning because not all of the links at that point were suitably mobile!.Have now ensured mobility & tensioned to accommodate the tightest position of the chain when rotated carefully by hand,Might be useful.Ed.( p.s. also added a chain oiler.Loob-Man/Tech,£17 delivered,Ebay).

Yep, got that checked to by my mechanic, and i already have a Cameleon Oiler, the chain looks real nice and no bad joints present at all, it was one of the first hypothesises when i heard the noise.

*Originally Posted by Art [+]
Inspection of the cam chain tensioner is a very simple procedure. Its probably best to check the valve clearances at the 48k service especially if you don't know if it was done at 24k. If you're into DIY or want a guide for your mechanic there's some very good write ups in

Technical Articles Overview section at https://www.cbf1000.com/index.php?action=articles;sa=view;article=15
Valve clearance inspection at  http://www.fireblader.dk/i_files/mc011.htm
Valve clearance adjustment at http://www.fireblader.dk/i_files/valvejob/valvejob.htm
You can also download a service manual at https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ukwp6irqru2k12/CBF1000-All.zip?dl=0

I'll leave those cheks to my mechanic, i have enough trouble everyday, i don't want to add a broken cbf on my mind

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000-A9
  • City / Town: Maldon
« Reply #11 on: 25 March, 2019, 06:55:59 PM »
Hi,M-C.  Thanks for your reply.I am glad you are on top  of your recent problems.
I think please & thank you are so important in human communication.
Best Regards,Edward Goodwin, Southminster.

Offline Molten-Core

« Reply #12 on: 26 March, 2019, 01:05:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by iNCORRIGIBLE [+]
Hi,M-C.  Thanks for your reply.I am glad you are on top  of your recent problems.
I think please & thank you are so important in human communication.
Best Regards,Edward Goodwin, Southminster.

Yup, my bad, you guys are spending some precious time helping me overcome my problem, so thank you guys for the time and effort you are putting here for me.
Thanks for all the people welcoming me too.

Offline Molten-Core

« Reply #13 on: 29 March, 2019, 08:20:58 PM »
SO, just to share the knowledge and keep the wheel spinning i recorded a video of the symptoms:

My mechanic says it's a hard link in the chain, which to be truthful doesn't reassure me much, but i trust the guy, he knows his job, i'll change the chain next big maintenance.

Thanks for the help people!

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #14 on: 30 March, 2019, 08:10:19 AM »
Your mechanic is spot on with his diagnosis, what you have there is a partially seized link. You can see the chain kinking at 10 seconds in and later the unmistakable clunk where one of the chain links is fighting against the radius of the sprockets.

Difficult to tell the condition of the chain from your video but I'd be inclined to give the chain a close up and personal visual inspection and to measure it to assess its serviceable condition before going to the expense of replacing the chain and sprockets. Subject to a visual inspection and measuring I'd give it a clean by way of a good soaking and scrub with paraffin and then carry out a proper link by link chain inspection including how the chain and the individual links sit on the sprockets and the condition of the sprockets.

Note - Partially seized chain links can put additional stresses on the rear wheel bearings and the gearbox output shaft bearing which could lead to premature wear of those components.