Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Is it a Battery problem or Stator problem ?? CBF1000 MK1  (Read 1402 times)

Offline Steelworker

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: 2009 1000ABS
  • City / Town: London
Re: Is it a Battery problem or Stator problem ?? CBF1000 MK1
« Reply #30 on: 03 March, 2019, 07:28:21 PM »
"The stator is easy to fit, no oil draining required (though oil and filter replacement advisable), and can be and has been done at the road side by members of this forum when caught out far from home."

If you have got the Honda hard luggage set up though, you have to remove the pannier rack frames to be able to take off the rear side cowl for rectifier access. A bit of a pain if your not carrying the the right tools!

Offline KevinC

• Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: GLASGOW
« Reply #31 on: 07 March, 2019, 09:32:03 PM »
Not sure if this is the right place, but here goes. I started having charging problems with my 2009 MK1 just before Christmas. Went through most of the fault guides and have now changed the battery, the regulator band the stator. Problem I am having is that when I start the bike, there is just over 13v going into the battery, but as soon as I increase the revs, the voltage drops to about 11.8, meaning that there is a big problem somewhere. Please help.

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000-A9
  • City / Town: Maldon
« Reply #32 on: 07 March, 2019, 11:37:52 PM »
Hello Kevin C.We have the same year. Mine is at 10,500 miles.Sounds like you have changed all three main components in the electrical chain . What was the sequence of the replacements & what was the original problem?  Did any of the individual replacements cause an improvement? Sounds like increased revs is not producing increased alternator output voltage.Were each of the replacements of reliable quality/history? Start with proving out the soundness of wiring & connections.If this is not within your skills range,seek the help of a dealership.Ed.

Offline KevinC

« Reply #33 on: 08 March, 2019, 08:52:44 AM »
Ed,

Mine has nearly 27,000 miles.

The problem started when the I was out on a run with the guys and the bike just wouldn't start after a rest stop (jump started it for the rest of the day).

First thing replaced was the regulator (brand new) - as that was the easiest.  the battery was only just over a year old so I just put it on a full charge (which it took).

That didn't make any difference so I then looked at the stator and it was burnt out on at least four of the coils. That was changed a couple of weeks ago, but didn't offer any improvement (I did get it from China, so my own fault), so I got a replacement from Germany. By this time the battery has now died (gone flat too many times).

Everything was changed over last weekend - and this is where I am.  The only item that is still not changed is the flywheel.

Kevin.

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000-A9
  • City / Town: Maldon
« Reply #34 on: 08 March, 2019, 09:27:49 AM »
Hi again Kevin.Seems like two immediate actions are needed.Firstly & most simply is ensure 100% that all involved cabling is continuous & making sound connections at terminating points & any connectors on their routes. Once sure of this process,need to look at the apparent inability of the alternator to produce increased voltage with a rise in engine revs.Mine will show 12.6 volts on switch on with engine still & rise to 14-14.3 volts once engine is at tickover.Output is then regulated normally. Bear in mind throughout that apparently unrelated items may also be giving you the unwelcome effects e.g. excessive abnormal current drain from any of the bikes other systems. There is a wealth of expertise on this site & I am sure others will help.Please keep us all informed.Ed. p.s. wonder if anyone has noticed any repeating patterns/similarities in the darkening,positioning and/or phase relationships in the stator failures ? Ed.
« Last Edit: 08 March, 2019, 10:00:26 AM by iNCORRIGIBLE »

Offline KevinC

« Reply #35 on: 08 March, 2019, 09:37:20 AM »
I am trying that.

By a process of elimination I have removed all fuses to headlights etc. - I don't even have heated grips, the only aftermarket that is on the bike is a usb charger cable that's connected directly to the battery (and it has its own isolator switch).

The voltage drop seems to be the same no matter what I do.  I did one new thing last night - got a little bit of success (had to stop at 10.00pm 'cos the wife said I was making to much noise) - relocated the position of the stator wiring from the original route so that it came out of the stator, in front of the coolant hose (its meant to come out of the stator, go behind the hose and clipped into place, then fed up to the regulator), clipped and fed into the regulator clips.

Will see how that goes later (after work).

Offline Art

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #36 on: 08 March, 2019, 11:44:30 AM »
Did you fully test the charging system before replacing all those parts? As per my previous post you need to test the battery and battery connections, test the charging system for output voltage, test the alternator (stator), test the regulator/rectifier, test all the wiring connections. In addition to that if the battery is going flat over time test the battery for stand by current drain.

An excellent fault finding flow chart from Electro Sport Industries can be seen and downloaded from

https://www.scribd.com/document/45928315/Fault-finding-for-Charging-system-Diagnostic-Troubleshooting

Its not CBF 1000 or Honda specific but does fully cover Honda charging systems. There is one point some have found confusing in the past and that is when you get to the 'B' section ignore the very first test (you should have already carried this out within the start section) and follow the 'you have have LESS than four different wire COLORS' arrow.

Good luck

« Last Edit: 08 March, 2019, 11:47:36 AM by Art »

Offline KevinC

« Reply #37 on: 08 March, 2019, 11:53:44 AM »
Thanks for that.

I have done pretty well all of those tests (not necessarily in that order).  Will do it again and see what happens - will report back.