Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Is it a Battery problem or Stator problem ?? CBF1000 MK1  (Read 2118 times)

Offline tedspies

• CBF Member
  • Bike: cbf1000
  • City / Town: Keilor
Is it a Battery problem or Stator problem ?? CBF1000 MK1
« on: 21 February, 2019, 11:02:20 AM »
Today l went for a 40 min ride ( about 15 min on a freeway and the rest on local roads ) with no problems. After l finished my 5 min call to see someone l went to start the bike - dash lights and nothing else. Got my friend to push start me with no problems. After about 10 min the engine started to cough and coke ( ABS light was flashing ) and then after about another 5 min at a set of traffic lights she died.

The battery is about 2 years old with no history of problems.

Went back to where l left the bike this evening with a charged battery ( maybe not fully charged ) and installed it. No difference to the bike - very faint lights on the dash and nothing else.

What could be the cause of my problems ??????? please.

Cheers

Ted
« Last Edit: 21 February, 2019, 11:10:55 AM by tedspies »

Offline alexg

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000 ABS-2006
  • City / Town: London
Re: Is it a Battery problem or Stator problem ?? CBF1000 MK1
« Reply #1 on: 21 February, 2019, 11:46:41 AM »
if you have multimeter its easy to check.
When started it show on the battery terminals about 13.5-14.2V
If 12V and less it would be stator or rectifier side to check next.

Offline tedspies

• CBF Member
  • Bike: cbf1000
  • City / Town: Keilor
« Reply #2 on: 21 February, 2019, 05:42:54 PM »
Thanks Alexg for your reply but the bike will not crank - l understand that l can test the battery once it has started.

l will go and buy a new battery today and hope that will solve the problem = if not l will have a spare battery.

Cheers

Offline alexg

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000 ABS-2006
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #3 on: 21 February, 2019, 06:10:54 PM »
You can measure stator resistance between each output and ground, there shoud be no continuity, and between each coil, there should be very small resistance 1-Ohm or there about.
You can check bridge rectifier by measuring in diode mode between each phase of input and output it shoud conduct one way and not backwards. Check between each phase input and positive output, and negative output.
« Last Edit: 21 February, 2019, 06:11:28 PM by alexg »

Offline Brerpatch

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000/A
  • City / Town: Gillingham
« Reply #4 on: 24 February, 2019, 02:16:09 PM »
Hello fellas

For what it`s worth, I would say that the stator is dead and this is down to the reg/rec.
This happened to me twice on my 2007 CBF 1000 because I failed to change the reg/rec on the 1st occasion.
1st time I only changed the stator and got a year out of it but because the reg/rec was an intermittent fault, it damaged the new stator.
2nd time had to change both.
Luckily the lithium battery was able to be saved.
To be fair I was lucky as the original stator was stamped 2006 had covered over 40K.
Hope this helps,
Brer

Offline Scott_rider

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Aylesbury
« Reply #5 on: 25 February, 2019, 12:08:20 PM »
I would say that's the exact symptoms of a knackered Stator. The bike will run fine. Then it won't start, then it will start with a bump start and run for a few miles, then it will run like a dog, then it will die and after that it won't start. As others have said, I would also change the regulator/rectifier at the same time.

As a consolation, changing the Stator and Reg/Rect is very easy and a simple enough DIY job.

Offline Brerpatch

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000/A
  • City / Town: Gillingham
« Reply #6 on: 25 February, 2019, 04:03:45 PM »
Totally agree with Scott_rider.
Easy job, do it with an oil change

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000-A9
  • City / Town: Maldon
« Reply #7 on: 25 February, 2019, 04:36:33 PM »
Wonder if the reg/rec is the real villain of the piece in this ongoing unhappy saga.Has anybody investigated more effective heat dissipation/cooling of the reg/rec by say re-siting into an obvious natural airflow/additional heat sinking/or forced cooling by fan as they do in some other component applications?Ed.

Offline Piper

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: NW Kent
« Reply #8 on: 26 February, 2019, 10:36:25 AM »
If you look back at the long history of stator failure on the MK1 going back to 2006 on this site you will see that only a very small percentage of people have replaced there Regulator/Rectifier as well as the stator and this is usually just in case not because they have actually failed. ( Failed Regulator/Rectifiers are more of a issue with other bikes not so much the CBF1000 ). When Honda have replaced stators on the CBF1000 under their extended 7 year warranty, according to this forum they usually just replace the stator and the flywheel with upgraded versions. Honda did not, as far as I'm aware, extend the warranty on the Regulator/Rectifier to 7 years as well.   

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000-A9
  • City / Town: Maldon
« Reply #9 on: 26 February, 2019, 06:28:08 PM »
Thanks,Piper for the really useful background .I think my real enquiry is,given that everything produced by the stator & rotor of the alternator is directly linked to & processed by the reg/rec how likely could it be that this( or something else in the chain) is the root cause of stator failure?
In a previous role I and my colleagues often found it a useful strategy to not just focus on the failing component but to consider ALL other factors.Ed.
« Last Edit: 26 February, 2019, 06:29:36 PM by iNCORRIGIBLE »