Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Chain and sprocket set  (Read 2076 times)

Offline adasel

• Bike: CBF 1000 FA
  • City / Town: Istanbul
Re: Chain and sprocket set
« Reply #20 on: 02 December, 2019, 10:29:36 AM »
Firstly thank you for your answers

My engine's odometer shows 28,000 km. For now, my chain and gear wheel  status is good. no problems with chain links and o-rings.  The teeth of the gear wheel are smooth. No broken and visible wear. But I think I'm going to have to change chains after 10,000 miles. Because the chain began to grow long.

Cost is a bit problematic in my country. Exchange rates and taxes are very high here. So I have to make the optimum cost calculation.

Let your wheel go straight  :300:

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #21 on: 02 December, 2019, 11:52:18 AM »
So what does your chain measure across the centres of 17 link pins?

I'd expect a well maintained chain & sprocket set to last longer than 28,000 Km (17,000 miles) but you say 'after 10,000 miles' (16,000 Km). You really should be getting more than that from a drive chain, I'd expect the original Honda factory fitted chain to last at least to 40,000 Km (25,000 miles).
« Last Edit: 02 December, 2019, 12:31:10 PM by Art »

Offline adasel

• Bike: CBF 1000 FA
  • City / Town: Istanbul
« Reply #22 on: 02 December, 2019, 02:13:32 PM »
There is currently no emergency. I just wanted to learn about it. I prefer to buy spare parts in advance. this way better for my economic situation. I think the factory's chain will make 40,000 km. Maybe it can make it even longer in normal use. but I use two riders (with my wife) and 3 bags, full loaded.  40,000 km is normal under these conditions. I don't expect to its make more.  :028:

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #23 on: 02 December, 2019, 04:09:36 PM »
Just in time purchasing is the habit to be in. Although if you need the bike to be roadworthy day after day then a planned maintenance schedule is very sensible. Drive chain maintenance is the key to long chain life. Lubricate often, tension and clean whenever necessary. If you keep the acceleration smooth and engine braking in moderation then carrying a pillion and/or luggage will add little stress to the chain.

My chain maintenance schedule includes checking the tension and lubrication with a SAE 80 gear oil every 500 to 1000 miles or whenever I've been out in the rain. Cleaning with paraffin and re-lubrication every winter or whenever it becomes coated in road salts, debris or other road fling. If I'm away on tour or on a 2,000+ miler weekend ride I carry a can of spray lube. Any lube is better than none and spray lube is easier to apply on the road and essential if you're riding through hour after hour of hard rain. No sooner am I back home it gets a proper lubrication with the SAE 80 gear oil.
« Last Edit: 02 December, 2019, 04:14:52 PM by Art »