Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Chain and sprocket set  (Read 2000 times)

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
Re: Chain and sprocket set
« Reply #10 on: 24 February, 2019, 08:26:37 AM »
+1 for the £85 D.I.D Gold X Ring Chain & JT Sprockets Kit

Same kit I purchased from bikespeedUK's eBay shop (DID 530VX G&B12ZB chain and JTF333.16, JTR302.43 sprockets) now 3 years and 20,000 miles later and still going strong on old school chain maintenance schedule.

Offline Slaughterman

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Cbf1000
  • City / Town: Omagh
« Reply #11 on: 24 February, 2019, 12:42:48 PM »
Thanks Art

Offline stu1000

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000-A
  • City / Town: Warrington
« Reply #12 on: 24 February, 2019, 04:23:06 PM »
Out of interest, what's the general opinion on the best tool to fit this chain? I've seen the Sealey ones on ebay but there's also a copy of the DID one too.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
« Reply #13 on: 25 February, 2019, 11:49:12 AM »
As far as the home mechanic is concerned then cheapest probably offers best value since its not going to be put to too much use. If I was buying another I opt for one of the eBay tools for around £12. What I have is an unbranded tool that I got for £35 from Wemoto some 10 years back. It's done half a dozen chains and shows no signs of wear and looks identical to an unbranded £12 tool a friend recently purchased off eBay.

Note for removing the worn chain grind the rivet heads off (I use a 50 mm grinding wheel on a spindle attachment in a drill chuck) before using the tool to push the link plate pins through. For assembly follow the instructions supplied with the tool but pay particular attention to the amount of flare to the rivet pin head.

DID chain tool instructions recommend flare dimensions of 5.7 mm to 6 mm (0.224" to 0.236") for their 530 VX motorcycle chain (a digital vernier gauge is your best friend here around £5.00 off eBay)

Offline stu1000

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000-A
  • City / Town: Warrington
« Reply #14 on: 25 February, 2019, 06:53:20 PM »
That's a great help. Thanks very much.

Offline adasel

• Bike: CBF 1000 FA
  • City / Town: Istanbul
« Reply #15 on: 28 November, 2019, 01:32:03 PM »
Hello everyone. I have a subject that I wonder. Do I have to change the chain and gearwhell together? Or is it enough if I just change the chain?

Offline Art

• CBF Master
« Reply #16 on: 28 November, 2019, 02:46:58 PM »
The drive chain and sprockets wear out together its normal to replace as a chain and sprocket kit. Fitting a new chain to worn sprockets will cause the chain to prematurely wear.

Offline adasel

• Bike: CBF 1000 FA
  • City / Town: Istanbul
« Reply #17 on: 29 November, 2019, 07:48:56 AM »
Thnx for answer Art. But i have one more question?

There is no visible wear on the gears. Possibly micrometric wear. Is the wear of gear too small to be visible, disrupting the chain?

I thought it would be possible to renew it as the second change set in time. Because it is very costly to change as set.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
« Reply #18 on: 29 November, 2019, 04:54:30 PM »
Of course its possible to just replace the drive chain, just not an economic option in the long term because the new chain will wear out before its time. Question - How have you determined the chain is in need of replacement? I ask because I'd expect the sprockets to wear at a faster rate than a well maintained chain.

The correct and in my opinion the only way to measure chain wear is to measure the chain while it is under tension. Do this by applying some tension to the upper chain run so that all slack is taken out of the lower chain run, then measure across the centres of 17 link pins on the lower chain run to determine chain stretch. A perfect out of the box CBF 1000 5/8" pitch drive chain such as the DID 530 VX should measure 254 mm across 17 link pins. The chain manufacturers service limit for drive chains is +1% stretch which means that a measurement in excess of 256.5 mm would indicate a replacement chain is due.

Visible wear on the sprockets (gears) is not always easy to assess. One trick is to make cardboard templates of the new sprockets for future wear comparisons. Cost of drive chain and sprocket kit is not so expensive if you shop around. At my last replacement (September 2016)  I got DID530VX G&B12ZB, JTF333.16, JTR302.43 chain & sprocket kit from Bike Speed UK for £84.95. eBay is your friend  :001:

At your own risk and assessment if the sprockets are showing little or no sign of wear and there are no issues with the drive chain such as binding, seized links, failed 'X' rings etc  I've been known to leave my chains a little longer to say 1¼% or even 1½% stretch (257 or 258 mm across 17 pins) but you do this at your own risk of any future chain failure. If you're unclear between the difference in 'worn' and 'worn out' stick to the chain manufacturers service limit of 1% stretch (256.5 mm across 17 link pins).

« Last Edit: 29 November, 2019, 05:26:39 PM by Art »

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Newcastle
« Reply #19 on: 30 November, 2019, 08:20:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by adasel [+]
There is no visible wear on the gears. Possibly micrometric wear. Is the wear of gear too small to be visible, disrupting the chain?
I thought it would be possible to renew it as the second change set in time. Because it is very costly to change as set.

If they are damaged/worn as shown here, replace them. If not, don't bother.  :028:

4-21 - 4-25  https://bob.ollis-brown.co.uk/manuals/cbf1000/2006-2008-CBF1000-A-4%20MAINTENANCE.pdf