Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Front & Rear suspension upgrade advice  (Read 1247 times)

Offline MrB

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Leeds
Front & Rear suspension upgrade advice
« on: 13 February, 2019, 07:17:52 PM »
I currently have a Mk2 on a 17 plate and as with my previous Mk1 I find the suspension rather 'wallowy'.   On my Mk1 I had progressive front forks and upgraded rear spring fitted.  Does anyone have any suggestions on improving the suspension for a better ride on a Mk2?

Offline stu1000

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000-A
  • City / Town: Warrington
Re: Front & Rear suspension upgrade advice
« Reply #1 on: 13 February, 2019, 08:12:44 PM »
If you want something that will transform the handling of the bike then contact Maxton Engineering. I had a new rear shock and fork springs fitted to a VFR 750 and it was terrific! Cost about 800 quid in total but they are the best in my opinion.

Offline Ali-bear

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Mk2 Biffer
  • City / Town: Bristol
« Reply #2 on: 14 February, 2019, 11:15:31 AM »
I can recommend the Hyperpro progressive spring kit for the Mk2 front forks  :028:
For the rear Hyperpro have a replacement spring listed, but you'll have to find somewhere to fit it. For me I just added preload to the rear and it's Ok - as long as I don't try carrying a pillion.
Designed in Japan, assembled in Italy, fiddled with in Britain

Offline WileyCoyote

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A GT
  • City / Town: Cheshire
« Reply #3 on: 14 February, 2019, 02:43:54 PM »
 :028:  Absolutely agree with Stu.  Maxton did the front and rear on my Mk1 about 5 years ago.  Massive, positive improvement, most of my mileage is two up and with luggage.  The handling was transformed, felt like a totally different bike.  Even the the wife, on the pillion, noticed it was more comfortable and felt more stable overall.  Maxton advice and service was first class but they are race orientated units and will require service more frequently than standard fitments. Maybe every 10 to 15 thousand miles depending on usage.  Maxton was my choice through reputation and they are only 15 miles away from me, of course.  I am sure other brands will give excellent improvements.
Good luck ,
Paul

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • -
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
« Reply #4 on: 16 February, 2019, 11:25:03 AM »
*Originally Posted by MrB [+]
...  Does anyone have any suggestions on improving the suspension for a better ride on a Mk2?
Have you set your bike up at all?  (sags set first)
Out of the box they are set rather soft and, presumeably, for a light rider.  I have my bike set a lot firmer than default setting (the rear of which was stiffened a notch or two within days of ownership) and the bike does ride better (not quite transformed but it still has the stock parts).
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline MrB

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Leeds
« Reply #5 on: 25 February, 2019, 07:15:16 PM »
Picked my CBF on Saturday from Firefox Racing at Keighley, West Yorkshire.  They have rebuilt and re-sprung front forks and fitted a new rear spring.  They also set the bike up according to weights and usage, ie solo, with pillion and fully laden for touring.   Took it out Sunday for a solo ride with the boys and the handling was brilliant.  Could definitely feel the difference, it was more precise going into bends and no longer feels wallowy.  Money well spent. :001:

Offline Bigtwinthing

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF 1000 GT
« Reply #6 on: 10 May, 2019, 07:20:10 AM »
e bay from Italy sell an Ohlins shock OH44 and a set of front springs and oil for £607. A huge improvement on the bike and the shock takes 40 Mins to fit,The forks a bit longer, don't remove the forks simply support and suck the Oil out with a tube and syringe. massive improvement for little Money.Next on my list of things for the bike.

Offline raYzerman

• CBF Member
  • Bike: FJR1300A CBF1000
  • City / Town: Millgrove, ON
« Reply #7 on: 13 May, 2019, 10:07:36 PM »
Newbie here, about to buy a nice '09 white, Mk1 as you call it, 28k kms.  Does anyone know what the OEM spring rates are in the forks and on the shock, or what spring the Ohlins 044 has?  I also gather only the Mk2 got the rebound adjuster on the shock.  I'll probably be looking for suspension upgrades first thing.  I don't see any info in the Service Manual.

Offline Bigtwinthing

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF 1000 GT
« Reply #8 on: 15 May, 2019, 05:21:50 AM »
Hello. I ordered the HO044 Ohlins shock with a spring to match my wait, it had rebound adjustment built in, standard onlins springs in the kit and their fork oil. This is now available for £557. I will be getting it, it totally transforms the bike, from the first 50 yds it was noticeable. The shock was a doddle to change .

best investment you can make on my mind. When I sold the bike, it was the suspension upgrade that made the difference.

Mine was the white one with Delkevics trivial cans. Regretted selling it everyday . However the new black one is Fab too.