Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Puncture safe Tyre Additive.  (Read 937 times)

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000-A9
  • City / Town: Maldon
Puncture safe Tyre Additive.
« on: 12 February, 2019, 06:55:47 PM »
Hi All.Any experience of these products please ? Thanks,Ed. :031:

Offline greybeard 2

• CBF Member
  • Bike: FJR
  • City / Town: Penkridge
Re: Puncture safe Tyre Additive.
« Reply #1 on: 13 February, 2019, 08:57:27 AM »
Hi I use Tyre Seal,as I do most of my mileage two up touring.At a tyre change found out I had had two punctures,did not even notice.Mind nothing works with a side wall puncture.Regards :
grey beard

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Pro
« Reply #2 on: 13 February, 2019, 09:48:09 AM »
Many Thanks,Greybeard.Seems like a very good idea to me .Have seen one discussion on the Deauville site that the sealants cause corrosion at the sealing rim of an aluminium alloy wheel & have discussed with manufacturers who advise there is no history of such problems.Thanks again Ed.

Offline the jocktor

• CBF Member
  • Bike: cbf1000fac-gt
  • City / Town: falkirk
« Reply #3 on: 13 February, 2019, 07:11:58 PM »
I also got tyre seal put in at last tyre change. Some time later I noticed a discharge on the tyre,thought I spilt oil or wd on it. Tyre was leaking air but not a catastrophic failure.

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Pro
« Reply #4 on: 13 February, 2019, 10:37:35 PM »
Thanks,The Joctor.How serious was the puncture & what follow -up has been needed? Ed.

Offline the jocktor

• CBF Member
  • Bike: cbf1000fac-gt
  • City / Town: falkirk
« Reply #5 on: 14 February, 2019, 09:31:20 PM »
I had replaced a faulty valve some months before. Checked the tyre but obviously not good enough. Did another valve change. Still was losing a few psi in a week.
Got the repair done at local shop. He did say that the puncture repair might not work “stick “ properly because of the tyre seal on the tyre but all was fine.

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • -
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
« Reply #6 on: 16 February, 2019, 11:38:25 AM »
Whilst the "slimes" may have their uses (and be a pain come tyre change and, possibly, corrode the metals - not heard of this) do think; if you've sufferred punctures without knowing what other damage may be lurking there ?

Without tyre treatment, would you ride a tyre with a gash in it (if not leaking air at that moment) ?? 

Would you be happy riding with tyres with n number of punctures - but (at present) sealed with gunge from the inside ?

Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Pro
« Reply #7 on: 16 February, 2019, 10:28:11 PM »
Hi,Jm ,good points & well put. I think I am right in saying the various tyre sealants cannot mitigate favourably in the event of a "catastrophic" tyre  failure. There is no excuse for not
taking vigilant tyre care which would hopefully signal any impending leakages/other problems & the sealants do assist in this care. Like yourself, I have no firm information on corrosion. I am unimpressed by the arguments of the tyre replacers/servicers who may not be fully aware that all followings/professions come with less attractive elements.( Public Servant).

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #8 on: 17 February, 2019, 11:11:04 PM »
Not quite the same, but many cars with no spare wheel use an aerosol to pump up the tyre and seal small punctures. However the instructions direct that once used the tyre MUST be renewed at the earliest opportunity. Personally I find that I get far fewer punctures than I did when there were more horses on the road (that dates me!) and with tubeless tyres usually the tyre doesn't fail catastrophically and loses pressure a lot more slowly. If manufacturers though 'gunge' was a 'good thing' I would have thought they would recommend it, but I don't know of any that do.
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift....

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Pro
« Reply #9 on: 18 February, 2019, 08:39:56 AM »
Hi,RevKen.All good stuff thanks.Am intrigued by the horses issue.Perhaps the tyres back then were predominantly tubed and possibly of a less durable material /construction? I suspect the simple factor of cost affects car manufacturers in the non provision issue.The makers of,"Puncturesafe" the one I favour ,claim that big fleet operators use their product on a routine basis.Given the cost (£15.99 delivered) I cannot see weighty enough negatives to not use the sealant.I am driven by the dual nightmares of a rapid tyre deflation & the idea of my machine languishing on a roadside for hours while I can arrange a remedy! Thanks again.Ed.

diverse-leafy