Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: CBF Newbie! What are some things to watch for? btw- Hello all!  (Read 964 times)

Offline RavenCAN92

• Bike: CBF1000FA
  • City / Town: Sault Ste Marie
CBF Newbie! What are some things to watch for? btw- Hello all!
« on: 08 February, 2019, 02:57:18 AM »
Greetings!

As the title may have informed you I am new to this form and I am a new CBF1000 mk2 owner  :300:

So a bit about myself, I've been working as a Machinist for about 5 years in a fabrication shop in Ontario, Canada. I have been riding for 7 years and I'm on my 3rd bike  :125:

I bought my 2012 CBF1000FA abs used last June for $6000 CAD, with only 4700KM on it. The previous owner put on the Leo Vince exhaust, engine cage, Michelin road pilot 4 tires and RK racing chain.

I figured this was a good deal cus I loved the look of the bike and these tires are my favourite and near new, but after I started to think.... who in their right mind would change the stock chain with less then 5000KM on?! ether I got duped on the KM or the previous owner had much more money than I.  :112: Anyways

So far I'm very happy with the CBF so far and put about 3000km more on it before winter :018: in this time I noticed that at about 4200-4500RPM in 5th or 6th gear, the bike gets major vibration to the point the mirrors are blurry and its uncomfortable... above that RPM range it goes away and is butter smooth. I read on here that it might have to do with the slip on exhaust, so I'm wondering if anyone else has this experience?

I do have the stock exhaust and I'm considering installing it even though is has some scratches to see if it helps. Plus I am not a fan of really loud bikes and this CBF is the louder bike of my little touring group beside that one guy  :006: I think every group has that one guy with a bike so loud they make them the permanent tail gunner haha

other then that does anyone have an suggestions for mods like aftermarket seats or any mechanical issues to watch out for like faulty O2 sensors or the likes? I really do plan to keep this bike for a while and do some touring on it when the snow is gone.

:031:
« Last Edit: 08 February, 2019, 03:01:49 AM by RavenCAN92 »

Offline Silverdart

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000-A
  • City / Town: Kitchener ON
Re: CBF Newbie! What are some things to watch for? btw- Hello all!
« Reply #1 on: 08 February, 2019, 03:44:51 PM »
Welcome!  :405: I'm in Ontario as well, though quite a distance from you (Waterloo Region). I spent a little time in SSM last summer on a motorcycle trip through Michigan, across the Mackinaw Bridge etc.

I don't have a lot to recommend regarding upgrades, but I always found the CBF seat to be a wee bit uncomfortable. However, I haven't been able to find a decently priced aftermarket seat.

What I settled on - literally - was an Airhawk Cruiser Medium. https://airhawk.net/product-category/seat-cushions/ Price was right, and  it keeps my sciatica at bay on those long days in the saddle.

Note: for the record, I have no connection with Airhawk, financially or otherwise. I just happened to buy their seat.
Old enough to have seen it all, heard it all, done it all. Just can't remember it all.

Offline Leofric

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: 2012CBF1000FA
  • City / Town: North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: 08 February, 2019, 11:19:00 PM »
I have a 2012 cbf1000fa which I bought a couple of years ago with lowish mileage. I put on a Beowulf exhaust and don't have any problem with vibration . No problem with O2 sensors as far as I know. Seems a good bike to me , I like it. Only problem was standard screen and noise which I improved with some modifications. What is a racing chain ?
What sort of servo eliminator is fitted to your bike ?
Regards
« Last Edit: 08 February, 2019, 11:23:19 PM by Leofric »

Offline HGP

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Silver CBF 1000
  • City / Town: Lanark
« Reply #3 on: 09 February, 2019, 07:52:45 PM »
Hi and welcome. I have a mark 1 cbf and I found the original screen a bit low and noisy.  After several attemps at re-positioning I finally splashed out on a Palmer Products windscreen bracket. It positions the windscreen at a slightly steeper angle and lifts it a wee bit higher. It made a noticeable difference to the noise level when touring. In your line of work you could probably be able to make something simmilar if that was an issue with yours.

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #4 on: 09 February, 2019, 08:59:55 PM »
Welcome.  :028:

I have a 2012 MK2, owned from new, and donít mess about with her (all my cars and bikes are ladies).

Iíve added several none mechanical upgrades.....my policy is if it ainít broke why fix it?

Iíve been looking to replace her but canít find anything I like better.......so weíre off to Spain again this year. :001:

Offline RavenCAN92

« Reply #5 on: 10 February, 2019, 12:05:27 AM »
*Originally Posted by Leofric [+]
..... What is a racing chain ? What sort of servo eliminator is fitted to your bike ?

I'm not sure what the racing chain is all about, it says "RK racing" on the links.

I don't think there is a servo eliminator, cus there is still the big black box under the bike and it wasn't included in the box that has the stock muffle and cover plate.

thank you for the reply!  :001:

Offline RavenCAN92

« Reply #6 on: 10 February, 2019, 12:16:15 AM »
*Originally Posted by Silverdart [+]
Welcome!  :405: I'm in Ontario as well, though quite a distance from you (Waterloo Region).

Hey! thank yo for the welcome! and funny thing is I bought this CBF at KWHonda in Waterloo  :008: My local Honda dealer had one and I was planning on trading my old bike in for it, but by the time I got around to it, they sold it... but I was still sold on it haha

My friend has an airhawk and swears by it... so I might pick one up too for the long trips! thank you for the advice!

Offline Silverdart

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000-A
  • City / Town: Kitchener ON
« Reply #7 on: 10 February, 2019, 12:46:57 AM »
Looks like we bought our bikes from the same dealer. I, too, bought my Biffer from KW Honda in Waterloo, and it's the only Honda motorcycle dealer in the city.
Old enough to have seen it all, heard it all, done it all. Just can't remember it all.

Offline Leofric

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: 2012CBF1000FA
  • City / Town: North Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: 10 February, 2019, 11:39:23 PM »
If the standard exhaust which contains the butterfly valve has been removed and you don't have a servo eliminator the servo motor must still be attached otherwise the F1 light would indicate an engine fault . Have the cables been removed from the servo motor. Just interested.
Regards

Offline RavenCAN92

« Reply #9 on: 12 February, 2019, 03:20:29 AM »
*Originally Posted by Leofric [+]
... you don't have a servo eliminator the servo motor must still be attached...

Thank you for your reply, The Servo was still attached and I was able to put the cables back into it. So now I have stock exhaust haha I'm gonna run stock this spring and see if that vibration goes away

diverse-leafy