Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Indicating Fuses(Glow when Blown)  (Read 525 times)

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000-A9
  • City / Town: Maldon
Indicating Fuses(Glow when Blown)
« on: 05 February, 2019, 08:42:19 PM »
Hi All.Anyone know where I can get the mini-blade version of these that will fit in to my CBF 1000 A9 please? The ebay listed ones are too tall to allow normal closure of the fuse box lids.Thanks.Ed. :028:

Offline Shed

• CBF Pro
  • City / Town: Newcastle
Re: Indicating Fuses(Glow when Blown)
« Reply #1 on: 07 February, 2019, 08:49:11 PM »
Search 'low profile mini blade'

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Member
« Reply #2 on: 07 February, 2019, 09:11:08 PM »
Thanks Shed.Will do & let you know outcome.Ed.

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Member
« Reply #3 on: 07 February, 2019, 09:32:02 PM »
Hi again Shed.It seems that blade fuses come up in three types,Standard,Mini & Micro( also referred to as low profile).Halfords do a Glow-Blow for the Mini Blade format but they seem to be overly expensive to me! All other suppliers only stock the ones with the protusion at the top which generally dont allow the fusebox covers to close sealing them from weather ingress. Stumped at the moment Ed. :015:

Offline Shed

• CBF Pro
« Reply #4 on: 07 February, 2019, 11:41:24 PM »
Plenty on ebay, for e.g.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30A-Green-LED-LOW-PROFILE-MINI-Blade-Fuse-Car-Auto-Glow-Blow-30-Amp-Pack-of-10-/221720677987

I understand the perceived 'helpfulness' of these fuses, however, given the low amount of fuses on a Biffer, I don't really see any significant time saving in hunting out a popped fuse.

And, bear in mind, if there is not sufficient load still present in the circuit to provide enough current for the LED in the popped fuse, then it won't light up anyway. So you'd be no further forward than a non-led fuse.
« Last Edit: 07 February, 2019, 11:44:35 PM by Shed »

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Member
« Reply #5 on: 08 February, 2019, 05:55:35 PM »
Hi Shed. Your searching is certainly better than my searching!.I just need to confirm with the supplier that the low profile micro blade fuse is compatible with the miniblade original fusebox female sockets before ordering.
My understanding of why the integral LED illuminates when the fuse element has opened is that the diode is itself in series with a high value resistor(2kohms ish) & both are then in parallel across the fusible element.This provides a sufficient load for the diode to light.I count some ten plus fuse locations( including accessories) to possibly need checking in the event of a fault. Add to this(by Sod's Law) it will probably be raining/snowing,Pitch black & probably on the hard shoulder of the M25  :005:
 :465: Ed.

Offline Shed

• CBF Pro
« Reply #6 on: 08 February, 2019, 09:04:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by iNCORRIGIBLE [+]
Add to this(by Sod's Law) it will probably be raining/snowing,Pitch black & probably on the hard shoulder of the M25  :005:
 :465: Ed.

360-ohm resistor with the diodes in inverse parallel so it'll glow regardless of which way around it's fitted. If it still has power in the circuit it will glow, hopefully long enough til you locate it, but it won't glow forever.

Yeah, and if your super slick LED blown fuse is lit up to help you locate it in the pitch dark, once you've took it out you'll still need a torch to put a new one back in.  :008:

Your 'ten plus' fuse locations aren't all going to be needed to be explored, as you'll just be going to the relevant fusebox for the fault you have at any given time. Are you expecting to have blown fuses often?!  :008:
In ten years my Biffer has yet to blow a single fuse.  :028:

Each to their own, but personally, in over 40 years of spannering I've never needed a fuse to actually light up to show me the way, and I don't see any need to start fitting any now  :027:

:730: :730:
« Last Edit: 08 February, 2019, 09:16:48 PM by Shed »

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Member
« Reply #7 on: 08 February, 2019, 09:40:10 PM »
Super feedback thanks Shed & some interesting insights into your approach.Will continue my investigations & update you on my findings if you so wish.Ed.

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #8 on: 10 February, 2019, 07:17:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by iNCORRIGIBLE [+]
Hi All.Anyone know where I can get the mini-blade version of these that will fit in to my CBF 1000 A9 please? The ebay listed ones are too tall to allow normal closure of the fuse box lids.Thanks.Ed. :028:

Hi Ed,  these any good?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370980912401

Regards,
Tim

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Member
« Reply #9 on: 10 February, 2019, 09:31:21 PM »
Hi Tim.Thanks for that info.They are fine electrically but do not allow the fusebox cover to close fully.I am still awaiting the supplier of the ones found by Shed to get back to me on a size enquiry I made earlier.Failing that I will have to buy from Halfords as I know from previous experience that they are are well worth fitting when seeking a fault under bad conditions out on the road.Many Thanks for your interest.Ed. :031:

diverse-leafy