Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Battery Upgrade Mk1  (Read 1057 times)

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: London
Re: Battery Upgrade Mk1
« Reply #10 on: 31 January, 2019, 05:43:02 PM »
I decided to stick with Lead Acid personally as the charging circuit (i.e. alternator, rectifier & voltage regulator) was designed for those batteries &Lithium cells have different electrical characteristics (e.g. internal resistance, cell voltages & charge/discharge behaviour).  Also you would need to buy a charger specifically for Lithium batteries, can't use the same one as lead acid.

There are numerous threads if you search - one peculiarity I do recall people saying was they don't always want to crank on demand like lead acid batts - maybe it's just in cold weather but have heard guys saying that they needed to leave the ignition & headlights on for a while to get the battery working before attempting to start the bike...

Offline manxcat

• Bike: 2007 cbf1000
  • City / Town: Port Erin
« Reply #11 on: 01 February, 2019, 09:14:08 AM »
Thanks for your replies - I will let you know how I go on

I am taking it to Northern Spain in a few months, so hopefully no cold weather there!!

Might take a spare stator with me though..........

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
« Reply #12 on: 01 February, 2019, 01:33:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by manxcat [+]
Might take a spare stator with me though..........

Probably a good idea!

Offline Scootyman

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A6
  • City / Town: Dunfermline
« Reply #13 on: 03 February, 2019, 08:48:41 AM »
I might be wrong but I thought I read somewhere that by increasing the battery size you put more strain on the charging system. I guess if you have a bigger battery then your charging system will spend more time charging the battery. I too have thought about the dreaded stator problem and have just paid Ä460 for an upgraded stator and flywheel kit from Germany to remedy this and I also plan to fit a pair of H4 Osram Hled headlight bulbs to reduce a few amps of current draw from the system. I worked it out that you can reduce the load on the stator by around 4-5 amps on low beam alone by changing to LED as I have done on my scooter that I commute to work on. So rather than increasing the battery size, Iím hoping that reducing the load will help. Food for thought if your having problems with holding a charge or not having enough power.
« Last Edit: 03 February, 2019, 08:49:56 AM by Scootyman »

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
« Reply #14 on: 03 February, 2019, 08:10:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by Scootyman [+]
I might be wrong but I thought I read somewhere that by increasing the battery size you put more strain on the charging system. I guess if you have a bigger battery then your charging system will spend more time charging the battery. I too have thought about the dreaded stator problem and have just paid Ä460 for an upgraded stator and flywheel kit from Germany to remedy this and I also plan to fit a pair of H4 Osram Hled headlight bulbs to reduce a few amps of current draw from the system. I worked it out that you can reduce the load on the stator by around 4-5 amps on low beam alone by changing to LED as I have done on my scooter that I commute to work on. So rather than increasing the battery size, Iím hoping that reducing the load will help. Food for thought if your having problems with holding a charge or not having enough power.

Hi Scootyman,
Personally I don't believe that fitting a battery of higher capacity will put more strain on the alternator / charging circuit; it will just take longer to fully charge it.  But I agree that reducing the load on the electrical system is a very good idea... I fitted LED headlights a while ago but more for the extra light output and extra visibility they provide - safety benefit as well as saving power!

Upgrading the stator & flywheel can't be a bad idea but it's only part of the problem; the Mk1s are also more susceptible to stator failure due to the poor oil circulation around stator coils resulting in overheating and burnout of said coils.

I replaced my stator last year when bike's mileage reached 25,000 miles. As far as I'm aware that was the original one from new and the coils were a much darker brown colour than the new ones indicating that the stator was on the way out.  I use a voltmeter to constantly monitor the battery voltage when riding and am relying on that as an early warning system...

As far as the new battery goes I still have to find a way of safely securing it by either modifying the existing steel bracket or making a new one to ensure that the battery doesn't fall out!

Cheers,
Tim

« Last Edit: 03 February, 2019, 08:12:06 PM by SaturnV »

Offline Scootyman

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A6
  • City / Town: Dunfermline
« Reply #15 on: 03 February, 2019, 08:23:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by SaturnV [+]
Hi Scootyman,
Personally I don't believe that fitting a battery of higher capacity will put more strain on the alternator / charging circuit; it will just take longer to fully charge it.  But I agree that reducing the load on the electrical system is a very good idea... I fitted LED headlights a while ago but more for the extra light output and extra visibility they provide - safety benefit as well as saving power!

Upgrading the stator & flywheel can't be a bad idea but it's only part of the problem; the Mk1s are also more susceptible to stator failure due to the poor oil circulation around stator coils resulting in overheating and burnout of said coils.

I replaced my stator last year when bike's mileage reached 25,000 miles. As far as I'm aware that was the original one from new and the coils were a much darker brown colour than the new ones indicating that the stator was on the way out.  I use a voltmeter to constantly monitor the battery voltage when riding and am relying on that as an early warning system...

As far as the new battery goes I still have to find a way of safely securing it by either modifying the existing steel bracket or making a new one to ensure that the battery doesn't fall out!

Cheers,
Tim

Hi Tim,

You could well be right. I have spent much time reading threads all over the internet on this and some say yay, some say nay.
I understand that whilst the battery is larger, it would take longer to charge hence more work for the stator to do but I guess only if your battery is drained more. I wasnít saying for sure it would cause problems, just thought it worth highlighting what others had said in case there was some truth to it.
I did notice the new Osram H7 LED bulbs only use 15 watts of power and some of the Philips Ultinon ones are the same also. (ZES chips I believe) Iím managing to power a heated vest and heated grips on my Vision 110 esp without power problems since switching all lights to LED so there is hope yet for the CBF. Iím wondering though if you are using less power, does that mean more power for the regulator to lose as heat?
An interesting subject all the same and thanks for your comment and reply
Best regards
Scoots

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
« Reply #16 on: 03 February, 2019, 08:35:00 PM »
Hi Scoots,

No worries!  Yes I just read your previous post regarding the Stator upgrade kits from Germany like you fitted.

As you say it's a massive topic and everyone has their two-pennuth to add.  J-Man's comment on the voltage regulator is true as it's constantly 'sinking' the excess voltage - hence current also - to Earth to regulate the output voltage to around 14.4V so there's ALWAYS a strain on the stator even with no load from other circuits.

I run heated grips and a USB charger too but agree that the LED headlights help to reduce power drain on the battery, etc.  Incidentally I fitted the same LED bulbs to my car and they're amazing in terms of light output  :028:

Rgds
Tim

diverse-leafy