Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Battery Upgrade Mk1  (Read 633 times)

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: London
Battery Upgrade Mk1
« on: 29 January, 2019, 08:05:29 PM »
Finally got sick & tired of the standard under-rated & underspec'ed battery (IMO).

It has always seemed to me that unless you either ride the bike every day (or once a week at least) or keep on a conditioning charger especially in winter then the standard battery struggles to maintain its charge level and often struggles to start the bike even when charged...

So I decided to upgrade as per pics below...

YTZ14S is 11.8Ah compared with 9.1 of the standard Yuasa YTZ10S, so around 30% more capacity and the Cold Cranking factor is 230 c/w 190 so also an improvement over the original.

The only downside is also apparent from the photos - it's about 10mm taller (although the width and depth are identical) which means that the steel securing bracket won't fit...

So what I intend doing is to  design / construct a new, slightly bigger frame (probably from a sheet of Aluminum.)

Oh and by the way the plastic side panel cover still fits over the new battery so that won't be an issue.

Tim
« Last Edit: 29 January, 2019, 08:12:33 PM by SaturnV »

Offline Raphe

• Bike: Cbf1000
  • City / Town: Scottish Borders
Re: Battery Upgrade Mk1
« Reply #1 on: 30 January, 2019, 05:42:16 PM »
Very interesting Saturn v. I have to replace mine in the spring. What with running a usb, phone and gear indicator I could do with a bit more amp hourage also.
Please post updates.

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
« Reply #2 on: 30 January, 2019, 07:40:40 PM »
Hi Raphe &  :405:

If you use the Search button you'll find numerous posts relating to Mk1 electrics; mainly the alternator stator coils that are very susceptible to early failures - which results in flat batteries and of course stranded bikers.

But even if there were no charging issues, a 9Ah battery on a 1 litre engined bike is pathetic IMO.

My old CBR 600 has nearly as much (8Ah) and that's a much lighter engine to crank plus it has no fuel injection or HISS immobiliser electronics to draw more current either.  I chose this battery because it was the largest Yuasa one I could find that will still (potentially) fit the battery bay - although as mentioned it won't fit inside the steel bracket like the standard battery does.

Also this battery is fitted to the CB1300 & ST1300 Honda Pan European bikes so I'm hoping it will provide enough 'oomph' for our 998cc engines lol.

I've seen that Wickes sell sheet steel in manageable sizes so will buy a piece and see if I can fabricate a suitable bracket to keep the battery firmly & safely secured.

Although my metal-working skills are next to nothing but let's hope I can get something worked out!
« Last Edit: 30 January, 2019, 07:41:31 PM by SaturnV »

Offline Raphe

« Reply #3 on: 30 January, 2019, 10:20:13 PM »
Hi SaturnV,

Cheers! Iíve spent many an hour looking through posts about staters. Mine went within a month of buying it. Itís an 08 with 2500k on the clock. Apparently it was rewound at wcw. I canít deny my confidence has been dented somewhat when it comes to going long distance but I hope to power through that this year.
 That said, I do need a new battery. The Yuasa ones are bloody expensive. I can get a cheaper one but less Ah.
  How long do you get from a battery on average?

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
« Reply #4 on: 30 January, 2019, 11:09:36 PM »
Well with batteries I like to go for the tried & trusted names like Yuasa, Varta, Lucas, etc.

Yes it's true they ain't cheap - I just paid 83 quid for this one - but I'd advise you to shop around online.  I've seen what Halfords charge for bike & car batteries and decided not to buy from the high street!

Have a look at https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk - next day free delivery too.

How long a battery will last depends on lots of factors, especially how well you look after it.  Lead acid batteries NEVER like going flat, it damages the cells so make sure they're always kept well charged.  If you have power in your garage or where your bike lives then get a good conditioning charger and keep the battery topped up all the time, plus ride the bike as much as you can - most bikers don't need to be told that though lol.

I keep the bike in a garage 1 mile away from my flat and there's no mains power there so in the winter months I always remove the battery and have it on an Optimate charger. They're intelligent chargers so they always know what state of charge the battery is in & they won't overcharge or undercharge the cells. 

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/78250

Offline Leofric

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: 2012CBF1000FA
  • City / Town: North Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: 31 January, 2019, 12:07:53 AM »
Seems a lot of trouble to go to with the battery. I hardly ever ride in winter so just put the battery on an Optimate charger/battery monitor. As for the comments on topping up, batteries now are sealed aren't they so don't need topping up ?!

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
« Reply #6 on: 31 January, 2019, 05:43:43 AM »
Agreed but that's not an option for me without mains power in garage  :003:
Even when riding regularly in the past and with new battery (and with replacement stator) I've found starting was sluggish.
By the way when I said Lead Acid batts need 'topping up' I meant with electrical charge not with fluid!
Of course they are sealed nowadays thankfully 🙄

Offline Raphe

« Reply #7 on: 31 January, 2019, 09:02:51 AM »
same here, I have no power in my garage, and don't ride in the winter. I'm new to this motorbike game and this is my first bike. I guess I'll have to get used to either just disconnecting the battery, or in the depths of winter take it out and put it on a conditioner/charger.

Offline manxcat

• Bike: 2007 cbf1000
  • City / Town: Port Erin
« Reply #8 on: 31 January, 2019, 03:55:37 PM »
I bought a Mk I last year around June and have only ridden it about 4 times!! It has a Lithium battery fitted and I can leave it for a month or more between start ups and it fires up no problem.

I believe they are expensive, but looks like they are worth it.

Does anybody think that a Lithium battery will be better for the dreaded stator issue?

Offline Raphe

« Reply #9 on: 31 January, 2019, 04:37:38 PM »
Not sure, Iíve heard theyíre not so good in the cold. Iíve read a lot of comments on this forum and decided against it. Itís -5 up here as I type this.
I would be interested to hear how you get on with it.

diverse-leafy