Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Alternative smaller capacity used bike to CBF , for around £4.5k ??  (Read 1012 times)

Offline RV06

• CBF Pro
What recommendations is there for a used bike - no more than £4.5k , no more than 5/6 years old, that offers bettter economy, and is more modern, but is as well finished and practical as the CBF1000?

Mine is 12years old now, and im just doing an 8 mile round trip a day.   I would want about 40+ mpg, and that it isn't a RUST BUCKET! Everything  i read about xsr700/mt07/Tracer700/Versys is about rust!  The bike will live outside ALL YEAR, and is ridden all year.  THe CBF has a bit of rust on swingarm after 12years, and thats more or less it.  Also its very hard to find even these bikes for £4.5 k. 

I felt the NC750x might have held the answer but i think 54bhp will feel useless after the biffer. If im going to potter about on 54bhp then id rather just have a Triumph Bonneville , and go for soemthing totally differnet to the Biffer.

Im also very restricted by living in NI, as there's a lack of choice if you have a £4.5k budget, and don't want soemthing either far older than 5/6yrs or newer and cheap.!

Offline ushirlo

• CBF Member
  • nabijen te........
  • Bike: cbf1000f
Re: Alternative smaller capacity used bike to CBF , for around £4.5k ??
« Reply #1 on: 22 January, 2019, 06:05:31 PM »
cb600f hornet?
cb650?
fazer8?

mkII.....
ae..............

Offline Slawcbf

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: Cbf1ka7
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #2 on: 22 January, 2019, 06:36:49 PM »
If it's only 8 miles I'd suggest a cb500x or f or suzuki sv650 al8, but the finish might not be as good hondas and there is no main stand option. I know it's a downgrade, but I'm in the same situation and think that if you want sth better on fuel a 500cc is the way to go. Of course you could get sth even smaller eg 125cc (extreme :005:), but you won't get abs brakes. On average cb500 would return circa 80mpg while a 125 about 100ish mpg(my cbr125 did 130mpg). For the older generation of the cb500 (2010-2015) honda offered more accessories than for the newer ones i.e. panniers, main stand and top box.
« Last Edit: 22 January, 2019, 06:40:05 PM by Slawcbf »

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #3 on: 22 January, 2019, 08:58:39 PM »
Dealers are offering nearly new CB500F’s for that sort of money. New ones are going for below £5K.

Ours live outside, albeit, under a carport type setup. Dust cover and then waterproof cover works well for us. :028:

Shop around and you’ll get a deal.  :028:

Offline iaink

• CBF Member
  • Bike: NC750X
  • City / Town: Irvine, Ayrshire
« Reply #4 on: 22 January, 2019, 09:10:29 PM »
Why don't you arrange a test ride on a NC750X.
I think you will be surprised how good a bike it is.

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #5 on: 22 January, 2019, 09:31:53 PM »
On the other hand, four miles each way.......a pedal cycle?

Far cheaper than anything with an engine, and good for your wellbeing.  :028:

Offline RV06

• CBF Pro
« Reply #6 on: 23 January, 2019, 09:43:08 AM »
The Cb600f hornet sounds like my ideal choice.. I'd looked into it before, but had since forgotten about it, as I have never seen one for sale.....the problem in NI is finding anything to buy!

The Cbf650 i have seen once - in the tricolour scheme.

Fazer 8 is beyond what is necessary for my purposes...

The only bike i could choose here from this list with any degree of choice in the matter, would be the nc750x of which there seem quite a few.... All at or excess of £5k though at the moment though....  I think it might be the next thing i try out... purely out of curiosity.

If only there was a decently made Honda version of the xsr700, then id be sorted OR a Hornet!   

Offline Hagar

• CBF Legend
  • City / Town: Aberdeen
« Reply #7 on: 23 January, 2019, 08:37:42 PM »
If you look around on the main land and find something I would recommend the Bike Bus to transport your purchase,

http://thebikebus.weebly.com/

They transport all over including NI.  :028: :028: I know that Guy Martin uses them as well as other known faces.

Offline kimbo8

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Eastbourne
« Reply #8 on: 24 January, 2019, 10:35:48 AM »
I would consider a Fazer 600 S2.

I had one and keeping it outside all year round with a cover (regular clean), using it as a daily commute of 44miles, no rust and similar quarter mile and top speed as the biffer, slightly better MPG, very nippy and great fun .

The only reason I moved to the Biffer was to start touring on a more upright bike with better carrying capacity. 

When i stop touring i probably move back to one.

Good luck on the search.
« Last Edit: 24 January, 2019, 10:54:04 AM by kimbo8 »

Offline davidjg

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-C GT
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #9 on: 24 January, 2019, 05:35:23 PM »
For something completely outside of the normal range of bikes, you could consider investigating the WK (aka CFMoto) 650 NR range.
https://www.wkbikes.com/50cc_125cc_650cc_motorbikes.html
From their website they have a dealer in Belfast and are between £4500 and £5000 new with 2 year warranty  (the £5000 'touring' version has panniers and what looks like a more comfy seat) and have a few more hp than a NCC750X
Although Chinese, they use European parts like German suspension and Ducati fuel injection. Plus they have entered into a partnership with KTM to produce KTM  bikes for the Chinese market!

If you do go for a test ride on one, would be great if you posted your impression of it.