Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: A different stator question...  (Read 437 times)

Offline Gizmo

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000 and T110
  • City / Town: In Hampshire
A different stator question...
« on: 22 January, 2019, 11:07:11 AM »
Just to be different I have a reliability question about the Mk2s.

I go though Mk1 replacement stators on roughly an 11-12 month cycle - so about every 18-20,000 miles.
My Mk1 is now worn out and needs replacing but I'm struggling to find a suitable option that fits my stature (5'10) and has a relatively comfy riding position. I had hoped to down size and get better economy but almost everything seems to be a twin with on/off throttles and difficult for slow filtering or a sports bike.

I might be mad but I'm now wondering about the Mk2 CBF1000...

Did Honda truly fix this? Is the stator on the Mk2 utterly and completely reliable?

Thanks

Offline moayling

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2015 MK 2 CBF
  • City / Town: Seaton. Devon.
Re: A different stator question...
« Reply #1 on: 23 January, 2019, 02:27:31 PM »
I have only ever heard of one Mk2 suffering a stator problem. My Mk2 is 4 years old and has covered 22,000 miles and is on the original battery. No stator issues. Hope this helps and hope l havenít jinxed myself now.

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #2 on: 23 January, 2019, 06:32:25 PM »
Iíve got a 2012 (62 plate) MK2, no issues......great bike.  :028:

Iíve looked around but nothing (in my price range) is tempting me enough to change it.  :001:

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • -
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
« Reply #3 on: 23 January, 2019, 06:39:29 PM »
FWIW (or the bit I know anyway):-

They pretty much, sort of, fixed it.
It seems the newer flywheel (well the lesser magnets or was that larger spacings) helped a lot on the mkI warranty repairs as too did the better oil flow/distribution on the mkIIs.

There are a few (I'd need to check numbers known) of mkII failures but these may just be in line with 'all bikes'.

Nothing is absolutely reliable in the world of consumer products (heck, we can't even get mission-critical stuff 100%).
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Gizmo

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000 and T110
  • City / Town: In Hampshire
« Reply #4 on: 25 January, 2019, 06:59:40 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.

After weeks of sitting on, researching and test riding it seems to have come down to:

2016 CBF1000 - familiar, feels smaller for filtering, longer services, 54mpg, ghosts of stators past, cheaper.
2016/7 Tiger 800 XRX - newer, looks bulky for filtering (test ride pending), shorter services, 65+ mpg, seems reliable

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #5 on: 25 January, 2019, 07:49:23 PM »
If you donít do your own servicing, check the prices for the Tiger.

My wife and I were on the verge of buying a Tiger each, albeit a few years ago now, until we were told about servicing costs.  :005:

Never even test rode the bike, so couldnít comment on what it was like, but we havenít got deep pockets.  :028:

diverse-leafy