Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: adding voltmeter  (Read 555 times)

Offline timbig

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000TA
  • City / Town: Derby
adding voltmeter
« on: 21 January, 2019, 10:47:07 AM »
Hello

have got a voltmeter and would like to add it to handlebars as per pic found in gallery.

sorry cant think how to fasten it to handlbars, obviously i need something to bolt around the handlebars,

where can you buy such things? come to that what do you even call them?

tim

Offline Shed

• CBF Pro
  • City / Town: Newcastle
Re: adding voltmeter
« Reply #1 on: 21 January, 2019, 06:15:51 PM »
Ebay search for handlebar mounts and/or handlebar clamps comes up with thousands  :028:
« Last Edit: 21 January, 2019, 06:17:04 PM by Shed »

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000-A9
  • City / Town: Maldon
« Reply #2 on: 21 January, 2019, 08:23:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by timbig [+]
Hello

have got a voltmeter and would like to add it to handlebars as per pic found in gallery.

sorry cant think how to fasten it to handlbars, obviously i need something to bolt around the handlebars,

where can you buy such things? come to that what do you even call them?

tim
    Hi Timbig.A few points to consider:

1. While your looking at the voltmeter your not looking at the road!
2.If for any reason that large attachment were to come adrift from its mounting ,there is pretty well only one place it could fall! That is between the fixed fuel tank & the moving steering space.
3.There are much smaller voltage indicating devices available that can be easily accommodated in a safe non-moving panel position.Ed

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #3 on: 26 January, 2019, 08:13:54 PM »
Hi Timbig,

greetings from another Tim lol.

I'm replying cos that picture you found in the gallery was posted by me...

Basically when I got the bike it had a 12V 'cigar lighter' socket already fitted by the previous owner so I just found a Chinese company who manufacture these voltmeters / thermometers for cars and decided that was a cheap'n'cheerful option for me.  This is a similar one which clamps around the handlebar:

https://sinolec.co.uk/en/cigar-and-cigarette-lighter-plug-and-sockets/1211444-waterproof-12v-power-socket-with-motorbike-handlebar-mount-kit.html?utm_source=GoogleShopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=ExportPrestashop&gclid=Cj0KCQiAp7DiBRDdARIsABIMfoA96pL0XQy1-SZF7EzAApQ0ZrvCgncKjtJ3_2HkITm1KaYm-m92M-oaAiyUEALw_wcB

And this is where you can get the actual plug-in voltmeter:

https://www.lightinthebox.com/en/p/3in1-car-12v-24v-digital-led-voltmeter-thermometer-cigar-lighter-usb-charger_p3054518.html?prm=1.3.5.2

Forget about the thermometer; it only displays ambient temperature and the voltmeter isn't that precise but good enough for a general indication.  In other words 13-14.4V with engine running then battery is charging but if you see it dropping below 13V down to say 12V you can start panicking!

Of course when the cooling fan kicks in you'll notice an appreciable drop in voltage too.

Finally if you are going to connect up the 12V socket DO make sure you take the positive lead DIRECTLY from the +ve terminal of your battery (via an inline fuse of course) - that's the only way you'll see the actual voltage at the battery; if you connect up to the nearest live feed (e.g. headlight) you'll get a lower voltage...

Cheers
Tim 
« Last Edit: 26 January, 2019, 08:20:36 PM by SaturnV »

Offline HGP

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Silver CBF 1000
  • City / Town: Lanark
« Reply #4 on: 27 January, 2019, 09:08:44 PM »
I opted for a sparkbright LED voltage indicator to try to give a bit of warning of failing charge. It works very well, lights a solid green colour when charging normally then slow flashing and quick flashing to let you know if you have a charging issue. An 8MM hole was drilled on the right hand side of the instrument cluster to fit it. Works perfectly and has only flashed at me when the cooling fan has been running in traffic. I feel that a voltage meter or indicator is a must have on all mark 1s, I would hate to have the fuel injection system shut down without warning with a low battery charge.

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #5 on: 28 January, 2019, 07:53:22 AM »
Yes they are a good idea too. I have one too it's on that picture on the left hand side of the instrument panel. Not switched on in the pic.

Offline Scott_rider

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Aylesbury
« Reply #6 on: 28 January, 2019, 09:54:05 AM »
I may be wrong but I think that the Honda heated grips also alert if the battery isn't charging. Whether they are on or off, the red light will continuously blink if the battery isn't charging. I think I'm right in saying that...? :191:

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #7 on: 28 January, 2019, 12:49:24 PM »
Yes. The battery isn’t good enough to run them on it’s own. One of the lights flashes until engine running.......sometimes you need to get moving to produce enough voltage for them to work.  :028: