Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Price rises on Stator and Flywheel kits from Germany  (Read 940 times)

Offline J-man

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000A6
Re: Price rises on Stator and Flywheel kits from Germany
« Reply #30 on: 05 February, 2019, 07:07:34 AM »
*Originally Posted by Scootyman [+]
I have to say I’m enjoying this again now after today’s posts.

Sorry to bomb you with questions J-man but here’s another thought I wondered about.
If you fit LED headlight bulbs which take less power from what’s available from the alternator or stator in our case, does that mean the excess power left will have to be offloaded by the regulator resulting in more heat around the coils on the stator or does it not work like that? Is it not better to leave the original bulbs and burn what’s available or is that a worse scenario than using less power and allowing the regulator to burn it off in heat?
Best regards
Scoots
Good question.

It would be nice to have a LED or so that indicate when and how strong the shunting is enabled, just to see it in action. (Nerd alert  :158: )
Looking from the standpoint of the generator it does not matter if it's output current is used for lamps or charging batt or heatgrips or shunting.
It thinks current is current no matter what it is used for. So if you consume less current due use of LED's this might rise same amount in shunting indeed.
It looks like a hoax with no benefits. But on idle for a fair amount of time, like in cueing, or many red lights, the lower current demand from the LED's should benefit the voltage level of the system, it should result in a slightly higher voltage than when using halogens. But how much exactly?? Anyway it should slow down voltage dropping when cueing, to some extend.
Also if your battery has to be charged, all the benefit of less current consumption due the use of LEDS becomes available now for faster charging the batt.
I've HID now and would do it again if only for it's tons of better and safer lighting the road.

Offline J-man

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000A6
Re: Price rises on Stator and Flywheel kits from Germany
« Reply #31 on: 05 February, 2019, 04:02:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by J-man [+]
Looking from the standpoint of the generator it does not matter if it's output current is used for lamps or charging batt or heatgrips or shunting. It thinks current is current no matter what it is used for. So if you consume less current due use of LED's this might rise same amount in shunting indeed.
This of course with a shunting type regulator only, things are different with series type regulator.

For example you have 6000 rpm's and with no load the generator makes e.g. 30 volts.
All numbers here are illustrative only!
With 5 amps drawn it makes e.g. 20 volts
with 10 amps drawn it makes our required 13 volts.
So from the standpoint of the generator it has to be delivering 10 amps to have the bike voltage 13 volts.
Now the generator doesn't mind how that 10 amps will be spend in the bike, charging batt, heat grips, lights, shunting..
Suppose all bike consumers together take 7 amps, then the shunting action of the shunt-regulator will shunt the remaining 3 amps.
If you change halogens to LEDS then for example the consumption drops to 6 amps instead of 7, then the shunting will rise from 3 to 4 amps, all to get to 10 amps in total again.
So as long as shunting is active, there's no electrical benefit for the generator with LEDS.

But when you have for example 2000 rpm's and the generator voltage drops due that,
the shunting action of the regulator might stop completely to keep the bike voltage as high as possible.
Now in these cases the lesser current consumption of the LEDS vs halogens will help in getting the voltage up.

Again, with series type regulator the whole picture differs.

This is how I understood the principles so far, if it is prone to correction I'm all ears.  :038: