Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Side light bulb change  (Read 488 times)

Offline Mikeyh66

• Bike: CBF1000 A6
  • City / Town: RHYMNEY
Side light bulb change
« on: 16 January, 2019, 10:06:27 AM »
Hi everyone, side light bulb gone and was wondering do i really have to remove the fairing just to change a little bulb. Anyone done it without removing fairing. THANKS.

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • -
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
Re: Side light bulb change
« Reply #1 on: 16 January, 2019, 04:41:13 PM »
I've only done a MkII in situ but the (MkII) book says you need to remove the fairing for one and not the other (side/indicator - I forget which) but the hardest was very fiddly indeed.
Do a search on the site to see what MkI owners have done (many have changed sides for leds).
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Shed

• CBF Pro
  • City / Town: Newcastle
« Reply #2 on: 17 January, 2019, 11:11:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mikeyh66 [+]
Hi everyone, side light bulb gone and was wondering do i really have to remove the fairing just to change a little bulb. Anyone done it without removing fairing. THANKS.

Being of a larger build than child-sized hands, I found this a pain in the backside on the MK1. Put the steering on full lock either side to give yourself maximum room to work in and see how it goes. If they are not jammed in, you may well be able to wiggle them out. However, in my situation, with much cursing and manoeuvring I could wangle my way in there, but originally the side lights were so tight in their respective fittings I couldn't get them out with a bent hand and just the very tips of my fingers given the limited space I had to work in - so I just gave in and removed the left & right front fairings/cowls. I never removed the centre cowl. 
(3-6 here: http://bob.ollis-brown.co.uk/manuals/cbf1000/2006-2008-CBF1000-A-3%20FRAME-BODY%20PANELS-EXHAUST%20SYSTEM.pdf).

Cowls off creates a bit more work, but it made getting to the bulbs so much easier with that bit extra room to work in. Plus, after their initial freeing up, I could now get in there (just!) and change the bulbs without removing the cowls.

The first time I went in there I put Phillips W5W White Vision in, but then later changed to T10 ten led which have been far better. Such as these here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T10-501-W5W-CAR-SIDE-LIGHT-BULBS-ERROR-FREE-CANBUS-6-10SMD-LED-XENON-HID-WHITE/151702370542?hash=item23522a78ee:m:md2ta92ks0wrDGpjXQodPXg:rk:8:pf:0
« Last Edit: 17 January, 2019, 11:43:34 PM by Shed »

Offline timbig

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000TA
  • City / Town: Derby
« Reply #3 on: 18 January, 2019, 01:19:57 AM »
I second removing fairings if you have real mans hands. so much easier.

Definitely recommend you put LEDs in, world of difference, and shouldn't have to replace them for years!

Offline Mikeyh66

« Reply #4 on: 26 January, 2019, 09:48:48 AM »
Been looking at led side bulbs on E-bay and came across some that are 6 SMD and 10 SMD. Has anyone fitted any of these and are the sizes different. :490:

Offline Shed

• CBF Pro
  • City / Town: Newcastle
« Reply #5 on: 27 January, 2019, 08:27:17 AM »
The bulbs in the link above both fit.
The 10 led is slightly longer than the 6 led, personal preference for which one you want to fit.

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #6 on: 27 January, 2019, 04:21:50 PM »
I have long fingers and managed OK It is only a 'one grazed knuckle' procedure. :158:
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift....

Offline Mikeyh66

« Reply #7 on: 09 February, 2019, 01:44:44 PM »
Purchased the led side bulbs ready to fit and was wondering without going to the expence of fitting led headlight bulbs what would be the best bulbs to fit to reduce the power drain on the battery/ alternator. ANY OPINIONS PEOPLE. :490:

Online stu1000

• Bike: CBF1000-A
  • City / Town: Warrington
« Reply #8 on: 09 February, 2019, 01:55:32 PM »
I've just done this job on my bike. Tried to do it without taking the fairing off but there was no room. The fairings came off ok but getting them back on was a right pain in the arse! Had to buy some of those black plastic clips off ebay as the originals disintegrated.