Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tom Tom......big mistake?  (Read 1878 times)

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
Re: Tom Tom......big mistake?
« Reply #10 on: 12 January, 2019, 05:28:18 PM »
its mostly intuitive

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #11 on: 12 January, 2019, 07:11:01 PM »
I havenít looked at any other software to do my routes. As long as I can plan my routes via MyDrive, that will do me.

I get very frustrated with computers and itís not good for my blood pressure.  :008:

I donít even know what, if any, is the advantage of having another way of doing the routes.  :187:

Iím of the opinion....KISS (Keep it Simple Stupid). :028:

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
« Reply #12 on: 26 February, 2019, 09:49:06 PM »
Update.

Today was the first chance Iíve had to get out and test the unit........

Iím very impressed. The first thing that stands out is the clarity of the screen, it puts the Garmin screen to shame. I also like being able to turn the screen from landscape to portrait.

Our route was 180 miles, when I took my own route it was very quick to recalculate.

I donít want music or a connection to my phone, so I canít comment on how good they are. I havenít connected it to my intercom either.

Doing everything over WiFi is very easy and convenient. I can plan routes on my computer, my iPad or the unit and transfer them all to each other. The route planning software is far easier to use than Garminís Basecamp.

Full map updates can take a few hours, but all other updates are quite quick.

Having started my motorcycle GPS career with a car TomTom 720, with a Tesco freezer bag over it when raining, before moving on to a Garmin 660. This lasted for about 6 years before packing in. I replaced it with the new Garmin 595, before going to Spain last year. This had so many problems / glitches/ battery issues I returned it as soon as we got home.

So far, after early setting up issues, I would say it is far better than the Garmin.

Obviously this is subjective, as I donít need or use most of the programs both TomTom and Garmin have. Someone who wants to listen to music, answer their phone etc etc may have other views.

The big test will come in May, when we tour Spain. :028:

Offline Art

• CBF Master
« Reply #13 on: 27 February, 2019, 09:29:20 AM »
Good news then. Fingers crossed Spain won't declare war over Gibraltar sovereignty post Brexit!

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
« Reply #14 on: 27 February, 2019, 04:38:29 PM »
Did Gibraltar May 2017. :001:

Strange thing is that they will accept UK pounds, but in the UK you canít spend the Gibraltar pound.  :187:

Offline Art

• CBF Master
« Reply #15 on: 28 February, 2019, 07:05:06 AM »
Same as with the Scottish banknotes (and yes I know they're accepted all over the UK)

link https://www.scotbanks.org.uk/banknotes/legal-position.html

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
« Reply #16 on: 02 June, 2019, 05:31:26 PM »
Update.......No it hasnít been a mistake.

Having used the TomTom for a few months, and during our recent trip to Spain, my conclusion is it knocks spots off the Garmin 595 I had in Spain last year.

Everything, from the screen to the route planning is better than the Garmin.

Last year I couldnít see the Garmin screen in the sunlight, no problems with the TomTom.

All my planned routes on the TomTom worked perfectly, the Garmin just went itís own way.

Instructions on the screen are far clearer than the Garmin.

Altering routes on the TomTom, when the unit was out of the cradle was easy as the battery never got low. The Garmin lasted 20 minutes, whilst away from a power supply, if I was lucky!

Connecting to the hotel WiFi allowed me to update the unit, plan routes on my iPad and transfer to the unit easily.

Just for the sat nav users who use the bolt on bits, I donít connect to my intercom, I donít connect to my phone and I donít play music, so I am unable to comment on these subjects.

As long as this unit as got longevity in it (only time will tell with that one), then Iíll be  very happy.  :028:

Offline Art

• CBF Master
« Reply #17 on: 03 June, 2019, 06:42:22 AM »
My Rider 40 is into its third year now, you'll be fine.