Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tom Tom......big mistake?  (Read 1152 times)

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
Tom Tom......big mistake?
« on: 10 January, 2019, 07:24:57 PM »
After returning my Garmin 595LM, following its dismal performance in Spain last May, today I took delivery of a Tom Tom Rider 550 so I can prepare it for our tour this year.

Looks a nice unit, but I dont know yet how easy it is it use. After a couple of hours downloading the software to my PC and trying to connect to MyDrive etc, it turns out they've been having server problems for a few days now. People cant register, update or connect to wifi.....what a bloody start!

On the support page there's a one line banner message saying there have been some problems, if it doesn't work, try again later!!!!!! :187: :187:

£314.99 of techno scrap at the moment!!! :232: :232:

Offline kimbo8

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Eastbourne
Re: Tom Tom......big mistake?
« Reply #1 on: 11 January, 2019, 01:24:03 PM »
Once you get it working it will be worth it.

I still can't get my head around the cost vs benefit between a specific motorbike Sat Nav and a standard car one.

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
« Reply #2 on: 11 January, 2019, 01:57:17 PM »
I was able to connect, via WiFi, this morning. Took 3 hours to update!

I’ll being playing with it over the weekend, hope it works better than the Garmin 595LM I returned.

Certainly like the screen more than the Garmin’s, but wish it was a 5” screen......need glasses for reading but not for riding.

Time will tell.  :028:

Offline davidjg

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-C GT
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #3 on: 11 January, 2019, 04:50:25 PM »
Hi. After reading your post, realised I had not updated my TomTom for last 1 month, It took less than 5 minutes for full UK & European  map updates, UK & European Safety (speed) cameras etc update, GPS updates and a few other updates. Which is about the normal time with auto backup - done via PC. Much prefer TomTom To Garmin.

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
« Reply #4 on: 11 January, 2019, 10:41:09 PM »
I'm about to throw the bloody thing out the window! :232:

I've followed all the instructions, viewed the TomTom tutorials and I still can't transfer routes from MyDrive to the unit!!!

It shows on 'My Routes', but when I click on the route a message on the screen states 'No route possible'!!!! If it's listed how can it be 'No Route Possible'? :187:

Offline Art

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
« Reply #5 on: 12 January, 2019, 12:18:41 PM »
I had similar failures until I realised I'd confused 'MyDrive Connect' (the PC based application) and 'TomTom MyDrive' (the website)

To update your TomTom navigation device (and to transfer routes etc) you need to install the MyDrive Connect application.

Just updating my Rider 40
« Last Edit: 12 January, 2019, 12:23:25 PM by Art »

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
« Reply #6 on: 12 January, 2019, 02:06:53 PM »
Thanks Art, all correct software installed, uninstalled and reinstalled X2.

Why do we need to be computer experts all the time?

I think I’ve finally cracked it........
Plan route on computer.....send destination......’Let’s Go’ appears on unit screen.......click on ‘Current route’.......click on ‘Add to my Routes’......and there it is.....done!! You just need to cancel ‘current route’ then.  :028:

Still playing with it, not even fitted to my bike yet.

First impressions, the unit screen is far clearer than my previous Garmins. The route planning (now I know what I’m doing) appears easier than Garmin Basecamp.

I’ll update this thread once I’ve had a chance to use it on the road. :028:

Offline Art

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
« Reply #7 on: 12 January, 2019, 02:55:33 PM »
Glad you got there, I found mine very frustrating to start, now it just happens.

I use ITNConverter to plan routes, save them as GPS eXchange 1.0 (*.gpx) files and they readily transfer onto the TomTom Rider by dragging and dropping into the MyDrive Connect application.

When mounting on the handlebar I use the TomTom anti-theft ram locking mount kit, no need to remove device at fuel stops or worry about some scrote grabbing it of the bar mount (I ride in London)
« Last Edit: 12 January, 2019, 02:59:09 PM by Art »

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
« Reply #8 on: 12 January, 2019, 03:50:19 PM »
It’s been a very frustrating start. :087:

I’m enjoying doing the routes on my iPad and sending them to the unit......that’s really easy.  :028:

Offline davidjg

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-C GT
« Reply #9 on: 12 January, 2019, 04:06:55 PM »
First time I have heard of ITNConvertor. Looked up the website but it was not very good at explaining what and how to convert and transfer files. What do think of it and how easy is it to use?

diverse-leafy