Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Engine removal (weight)  (Read 409 times)

Offline colvic

• CBF Member
Engine removal (weight)
« on: 05 January, 2019, 05:49:21 PM »
Hello all

I need to get part of the frame cut out and re-welded on my Ď08 biffer.

Itís the cross brace bar (for want of a better description) which braces the Ďwishboneí part of the frame holding the front 2 engine mounting points.

Itís sandwiched between the radiator and the engine and is apparently a common corrosion spot due to its location and extremes of temperature.

Iím advised that in order to get decent access to this area for welding purposes, itís likely Iíll need to remove the engine.

That procedure gets a level 3 difficulty score in the Haynes Manual so.... Iím going to attempt it myself. :034:

My question is, How heavy is the engine? Just so I have some sort of idea whatís going to hit me when i remove the last bolt.  :087:

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Chris

Offline shumba

• CBF Legend
  • City / Town: lichfield
Re: Engine removal (weight)
« Reply #1 on: 06 January, 2019, 09:50:47 AM »
 Please dont try to lift the engine up they are heavy ,you stand a good chance of doing damage to yourself or the engine casing , 
 The correct way of removing a engine from the frame is by supporting the engine on wooden blocks ,and lifting the frame off the engine , When removing engines in the past I have removed tank and wheels to lighten things up, The same goes for putting the engine back, the frame goes onto the engine, 

Offline colvic

• CBF Member
« Reply #2 on: 06 January, 2019, 11:53:10 AM »
Good advice. Thanks.

I also need to do the rear wheel bearing so wheels off is no bad idea anyway.
As it happens, the swing arm is also in need of a bit of cosmetic work.
By the time Iím finished I may have stripped the bike back to the frame. Who knows?
...and be scratching my head surveying the vista of parts left lying all over the floor.

C

Offline Leofric

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: 2012CBF1000FA
  • City / Town: North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: 06 January, 2019, 11:52:28 PM »
Good luck with all that.
Regards

diverse-leafy