Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Front sprocket bolt.  (Read 702 times)

Offline Midd

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Cbf1000 07
  • City / Town: Durham
Front sprocket bolt.
« on: 14 December, 2018, 07:49:00 PM »
Hi, folks I attempted to undo the front sprocket bolt ,as i want to replace sprockets and chain .
The bolt is very tight indeed .I have liberally applied wd 40 and will leave it overnight .
Has anyone experienced this problem .The bolt is rusty ,and im not sure how long its been on the bike .
Would i be able to apply some heat to the bolt without a problem.?.
Any advice or ideas ,and past experiences would be welcome as i dont want to go down the route of rounding the bolt .Im using a socket on the bolt..
Thanks.

Offline Piper

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: NW Kent
Re: Front sprocket bolt.
« Reply #1 on: 14 December, 2018, 09:01:03 PM »
On a previous bike I had the same problem and used a section of steel tube over the handle of the socket set handle to extend the leverage. My nut wasn't rusty though.  Good luck.
« Last Edit: 14 December, 2018, 09:03:08 PM by Piper »

Offline Shed

• CBF Pro
  • City / Town: Newcastle
« Reply #2 on: 14 December, 2018, 09:30:10 PM »
To assist removal, I presume you are using the brake pedal/chocking the rear wheel to prevent any rotation?

As piper mentions, an extension on your socket ratchet/bar, a long torque wrench, or breaker bar, for extra leverage.

Failing that, try trusty Henry the hammer - a few sharp whacks on your lever should help free the bolt.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #3 on: 15 December, 2018, 10:28:31 AM »
Chock rear wheel with a length of timber between a spoke and swinging arm, this enables you to comfortable reach the bolt head. Hold the socket onto the bolt head with one hand and apply the leverage with the other. Don't fret over rounding bolt heads use a 6 point socket, keep the bar at a 90° angle to the bolt shank and apply force gradually.

Offline Brickit

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000 A-7
  • City / Town: Exeter
« Reply #4 on: 15 December, 2018, 11:20:51 AM »
If you are worried about damaging the nut, a cheap electric impact wrench with a 1/2" drive and the correct socket may be the answer. £50-£70 should get you one.
I have always taken my bike to a garage to get the chain/sprockets  renewed, because I was always unsure about undoing that nut and also joining the chain. That could cost as much as the wrench.
Next time I'll be trying DIY.

Offline Midd

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Cbf1000 07
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #5 on: 16 December, 2018, 05:15:51 PM »
Hi folks update on stubborn front sprocket bolt .Success.
After using wd40 on it overnight i found an extension bar that fitted perfectly on the end of my socket wrench .i borrowed a gas canister torch that produced a small flame and gently applied heat to the bolt head .I then applied pressure and hey presto i heard the bolt crack off.I know that the torque figure for the bolt is around 40 pounds but this one must have been tighter.
I used the method that i saw in a u tube video (del boys garage )pinning the chain around the axle rod.I have replaced the front sprocket with a brand new one ,and am waiting to put a brand new chain and rear sprocket on .I discovered that one of the wheel bearings was not turning easily so have ordered a complete set .The back wheel was not as free moving as i thought it should be so should have checked them before.
Thanks for your postings about the subject ,im practical but a novice with motorycle mechanics ,but am learning bit by bit .cheers Midd. Ps having the back wheel off is good for getting in to have a good old clean.

Offline Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #6 on: 17 December, 2018, 09:50:11 AM »
So in real life you just combined all of the advise here and then some and the jobs a gooden.

Some of those Del Boy's Garage videos are worth their weight in gold. You get hands on advise on jobs as they happen by someone who actually carries out the work and generally knows what their talking about.

Another job well done

Just realised I had this link book marked, a right good read for CBF1000 owners if you haven't already come across it.

http://www.fireblader.dk/index.htm