Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Balkans 2020 - Recommendations  (Read 393 times)

Offline kimbo8

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Eastbourne
Balkans 2020 - Recommendations
« on: 06 November, 2018, 09:05:30 PM »
Hi All,

Since my last 2 trips had such great recommendations to places I would never of found, i want to ask the group what is the best routes and sights to visit in the Balkans.

The current thinking is down through Italy cross to Albania then up covering as may of the countries as possible, this is where the group comes in as from there I have no plans.

Cheers for any help and recommendations.

Kimbo  :028:

Offline Scott_rider

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Aylesbury
Re: Balkans 2020 - Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 09 November, 2018, 02:52:44 PM »
I've only been once on the bike to a small part of the Balkans...but Slovenia is lovely, Ljubljana is well worth a visit, Portoroz on the coast is a good stopover...as is anywhere on the Dalmatioan coast in Croatia which is absolutely awesome on a bike, including the area around Split...and going inland towards the Bosnian border is a real contrast and worth seeing (once)...basically Split to Knin then skirt in and out of the border. I only saw a fraction of it but would go back  :028:.
« Last Edit: 09 November, 2018, 02:53:23 PM by Scott_rider »

Offline davidjg

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-C GT
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #2 on: 09 November, 2018, 04:01:28 PM »
HI; Good sounding trip, but on practicalities have you checked with your insurance company for the possible extra bike insurance loading for Albania, Montenegro and Bosnia, Last time I was down that way was in about 2004, and I could not get anyone to insure me for Bosnia etc (same with my friend), so did not do those counties. The coastal (sea hugging) road between Sibenik and Rijeka on the Croatian coast is awesome. Also when In Croatia, would highly recommend the Plitvice Lakes absolutely beautiful (google it and see the photos) - we stayed for 2 nights in a small village about 10 moles away (had a petrol station and a food/wine shop); on locals recommendations got to the upper car park (bikes free) and then the shuttle bus (only ones on it) to the last stop very early in morning (8am?) and spent the whole day just walking downhill (apart from 1 boat ride) to the last waterfall - by the time we got there in the afternoon it was crowded with tourists. Take sun cream, water, food and a bottle of wine. Agree with another post above, some of the smaller roads (some looked like  ex-military)  between the Croatian and Bosnian borders are great for an experiance.

« Last Edit: 09 November, 2018, 04:03:19 PM by davidjg »

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #3 on: 09 November, 2018, 08:35:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by davidjg [+]
HI; Good sounding trip, but on practicalities have you checked with your insurance company for the possible extra bike insurance loading for Albania, Montenegro and Bosnia, Last time I was down that way was in about 2004, and I could not get anyone to insure me for Bosnia etc (same with my friend), so did not do those counties. The coastal (sea hugging) road between Sibenik and Rijeka on the Croatian coast is awesome. Also when In Croatia, would highly recommend the Plitvice Lakes absolutely beautiful (google it and see the photos) - we stayed for 2 nights in a small village about 10 moles away (had a petrol station and a food/wine shop); on locals recommendations got to the upper car park (bikes free) and then the shuttle bus (only ones on it) to the last stop very early in morning (8am?) and spent the whole day just walking downhill (apart from 1 boat ride) to the last waterfall - by the time we got there in the afternoon it was crowded with tourists. Take sun cream, water, food and a bottle of wine. Agree with another post above, some of the smaller roads (some looked like  ex-military)  between the Croatian and Bosnian borders are great for an experiance.
we bought insurance at the borders, although we had to wait at one border for the guy to get back from his shopping.....
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift....

Offline stergios

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF 1000 mk I
  • City / Town: Thessaloniki
« Reply #4 on: 11 November, 2018, 03:59:58 PM »
If you come through Italy why don't you cross over to Greece ?
If have enough days to i can provide many routes just off the ship you are next to the most beautifull mountain roads and from there you go north to either Albania , Fyrom or Bulgaria just a thought.

Or  maybe if you decide to go the other way around come from the north cross the northern balkans and move south and leave from Greece to Italy.

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #5 on: 11 November, 2018, 04:24:50 PM »
Which ferry ports would you recommend from Italy to Greece and return?  :028:

Offline stergios

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF 1000 mk I
  • City / Town: Thessaloniki
« Reply #6 on: 11 November, 2018, 05:42:44 PM »
Two ports are connecting  Greece  - Italy and vice versa. North side Igoumenitsa and south side Patra.

You should choose North side Igoumenitsa as your port.

I 'm adding a screenshot that i noted the ports that are connected.

I also marked (Purple circle -> Dures in Albania) that connects to Italy also when you decide which countries you will visit have that in mind.

In Greek side i marked only Igoumenitsa.

From that starting point you have a plethora of routes in Greek territory and from there after you decide on the length of your journey i can provide exits to the north on the opposite

update ! checked another site and there is also link from venice port to Igoumenitsa
change language top right and check to see prices.
https://www.directferries.gr/minoan_lines.htm
« Last Edit: 11 November, 2018, 05:45:51 PM by stergios »

Offline kimbo8

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Eastbourne
« Reply #7 on: 11 November, 2018, 07:53:29 PM »
Cheers all, great recommendations and on my list of interest.

ref going to Greece not thought about that, but got thr old Brain cells going, as will need to add a few more days to the trip.

Thanks for heads up ref insurance, will check it out .

Cheers

:046:

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #8 on: 11 November, 2018, 07:58:42 PM »
That’s also given us ideas. We’ve been as far a Venice in the past, but then headed back up through The Alpes.

Got my thinking cap on.......thanks. :028:

Offline Brickit

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000 A-7
  • City / Town: Exeter
« Reply #9 on: 12 November, 2018, 03:06:26 PM »
For a couple of years now, I've been toying with the idea of driving down through Italy to Brindisi, across to Patras or Igoumenitsa, sample Greece and then work my way back home via the Adriatic coast.
It's a long trip, probably 3 weeks if done at reasonable pace and around 5000 miles. I'd favour not taking a tent and pre-booking about 50% of the accommodation. That gives a bit of flexibility which can be useful if things don't go quite to plan. Also, carrying all the camping gear just makes the bike more difficult to handle and, anyway, I'm too old and like my creature comforts.
I'd go in September, when the schools are back and everything is quieter, and accommodation should be more readily available. Also, would prefer to avoid the major cities as getting in and out, in my experience, can be very trying and time consuming. Much easier to fly direct to see Rome or Athens!
Would be interested to hear from anyone who has done a similar trip with some do's and dont's, accommodation availability on the Adriatic coast, places to see and good routes.

diverse-leafy