Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Update on my Lithium Ion battery.  (Read 365 times)

Offline RogerG

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000+CB1300
  • City / Town: Dover
Update on my Lithium Ion battery.
« on: 03 November, 2018, 09:06:01 AM »
I fitted a £75 Lithium battery 4 years and 11 months ago. The Bike always starts despite only having done 500 miles during the last 2 years so there have been long periods of non use (up to 2 months at a time). The Battery has not been connected to a charger since I fitted it, so it has been a ‘fit and forget’ job. These types of battery must not be connected to modern intelligent types of charger anyway unless they have a specific Lithium setting which I believe is just a constant 14.4 volts output. I do have a very old Halfords Maintenance charger that is suitable but have never needed to use it.
Every mistake begins with a choice

Offline bocca

• Bike: Honda CBF1000A7
  • City / Town: Belgrade
Re: Update on my Lithium Ion battery.
« Reply #1 on: 26 November, 2018, 07:27:37 AM »
Thanks for the update Roger. I'm myself considering buying one.
Which battery is it again? Might be able to find it here in east

Offline RogerG

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000+CB1300
  • City / Town: Dover
« Reply #2 on: 26 November, 2018, 08:10:14 AM »
*Originally Posted by bocca [+]
Thanks for the update Roger. I'm myself considering buying one.
Which battery is it again? Might be able to find it here in east

I cannot remember the make but will check when I can. The maker may not still be trading, it was a long time ago.I dont think there is much difference between makes as long as the are well known makes.
Every mistake begins with a choice

Offline bocca

• Bike: Honda CBF1000A7
  • City / Town: Belgrade
« Reply #3 on: 26 November, 2018, 08:15:16 AM »
Yeah, rule of a thumb regarding the maker.
But still it's convinient to when someone puts up a good word about one.
Looking forward to an update.

Cheers :)

Offline Art

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #4 on: 02 December, 2018, 11:50:25 AM »
For what its worth I have never had any real issue with my battery holding charge. Its a Varta 508 901 015 Powersports AGM lead/acid technology (December 2018 price c£40) and was already fitted and I suspect not too old when I acquired the motorcycle in December 2014 (so going on 4+ years). Only ever had to put it on a charger twice, first time when I left it for 13 weeks with a Sat Nav (switched on) and a pair of 5v regulators plugged into the accessory loom, second time when the stator failed (it happens).

Its regularly left standing in a cold and damp garage for prolonged periods. Last year it only saw the light of day on four occasions and for less than 1,000 miles and it started on the button without fuss every time. The battery is regularly checked from time to time and always shows 12.7v or better across the terminals. Note all accessories have now been wired via a switched live relay and I don't see the need for one of those battery/voltage gizmos others seem to favour, which means the parasitic drain is kept to a factory specification minimum.

Recent Topics

diverse-leafy