Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Starting issues  (Read 255 times)

Offline Thiss

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000 Mk1
  • City / Town: Huddersfield
Starting issues
« on: 01 November, 2018, 01:19:28 PM »
Well its been a fair few months since I posted on here ....

Anyway, son now uses bike to commute to work (but lets me pay the insurance and road tax, bless him).

The other morning when it was icy he got as far as the end of the drive, it stalled and then wouldn't start. Off he goes in the car...

I charged battery, started pretty easy later in the day - happy people.

However, next day dead again - assumed battery was foobar but charged it again just to make sure. 

Now it won't turn engine over - even with a beefy car battery and jump leads. Lights come on when you turn key and FI pump fires but when you press starter button it clicks, sometimes tries to turn over then dies completely - all lights go out - bike has no power. Have to remove key and wait a second then you have power again but same symptoms.

Bike and car battery seem ok - unlikely they are both knackered - they manage to turn an electric winch on the car trailer ok (all I could think of that put load on them)

So, is there some magic safety relay or something that kills power in the event, of say, a short in the starter electrics or I have simply got two s**tty batteries ?

Cheers

Dave
« Last Edit: 01 November, 2018, 01:38:21 PM by Thiss »

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
Re: Starting issues
« Reply #1 on: 01 November, 2018, 03:30:59 PM »
Sounds like it could be the dreaded MK1 ‘S’ problem maybe?  :187:

Search ‘Stator’....... :028:

Offline Thiss

• CBF Master
« Reply #2 on: 01 November, 2018, 03:50:12 PM »
Had the stator replaced by Honda dealer under extended warranty already.

I also have the red / yellow / green led jobby fitted and it’s green when it’s running.

Anyway, that wouldn’t stop it starting would it? Thought that would fail to generate squiggles and not keep the battery topped up but a fresh charged battery should crank the engine....
« Last Edit: 01 November, 2018, 03:51:04 PM by Thiss »

Offline Slawcbf

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: Cbf1ka7
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #3 on: 01 November, 2018, 04:29:36 PM »
It might be your battery. My mottobat lasted about 1.5 years. The voltage was ok etc., but it would often struggle to start the bike. Bought a new battery and no problems since then.

Offline HGP

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Silver CBF 1000
  • City / Town: Lanark
« Reply #4 on: 01 November, 2018, 04:59:12 PM »
I had a similar issue mentioned above, bike didn't start, volt meter suggested battery was ok jump start from car battery didn't work. The noise comming from the bike when I was trying to turn it over made me think the starter clutch wasn't working and I stripped the bike down to have a look. It was perfect. A new battery solved the issue.

Offline Thiss

• CBF Master
« Reply #5 on: 02 November, 2018, 11:45:47 AM »
All sorted.

Turned out to be nothing more than cruddy terminals on the battery. Bit of sand paper and some serious tightening up and fired up first time.

Ordered a new battery anyway, as that one clearly isn’t holding a charge

:002:

Recent Topics

diverse-leafy